Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Honesty

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2009
    I once told another member of staff (a contractor company that worked under me for building IT services) that another member of staff was talking out of his arse. He was.. he said there was no networking in one riser cupboard when I knew there was, I was fed up with the lot of them not knowing basic stuff about the building lay out. Anyway it got back to him, and we had this meeting to smooth down ruffled feathers etc (perhaps I shouldn't have agreed to do that) however afterwards I saw him in the corridor, I said sorry you were offended, however next time you talk out of your arse I will tell you to your face exactly that.

For some reason he left a few weeks later, they were and still are a bunch of cable monkeys (no offence to cable guys) who think they know IT cos they can turn a pc on and off.

:)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]
    It just shows how different we all are. I wouldn't be able to sleep if I was ever that tactless........
    Yep - and I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing I'd bullshitted people to make them feel better. Vive la difference - my wife is the complete opposite to me - very sympathetic, tactful and thoughtful. The world would be a dull place if everyone was the same!

The difference is you wouldn't sleep because of the way you felt, I wouldn't sleep because of the way the other person felt - subtle difference.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

I personally would never shag a friends partner , no matter what i feel.

That's very decent of you.
  • Options
    So in light of your differing views on the subject how would each of you respond to the following

"my old man said be a Palace fan"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]So in light of your differing views on the subject how would each of you respond to the following

"my old man said be a Palace fan"

I'd say "what do you know, you're only 13"
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite] A few years ago my mate pulled an absolute cracker of a girl in a nightclub in soho. Unfortunately for him, this girl was a complete slag. he knew it, I knew it, everyone else knew it - but when he started going out with her a couple of weeks later he still got the arris when I told him she was a slag. If he didn't want me to tell him, he shouldn;t have asked. Period.

Did it last?
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]I have, in the past, disgraced myself by calling a mate's girlfriend a 'fat, ugly, clueless moose' - sadly for me they're still together ten years later, are married and have two kids. As a result, I don't really see my mate any more - but it doesn't bother me - I was right then, and I'm still right now. I'd never apologise for it.

That is harsh. Surely if your mate is happy then you should be happy for him?
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]A few years ago my mate pulled an absolute cracker of a girl in a nightclub in soho. Unfortunately for him, this girl was a complete slag. he knew it, I knew it, everyone else knew it - but when he started going out with her a couple of weeks later he still got the arris when I told him she was a slag. If he didn't want me to tell him, he shouldn;t have asked. Period.

Did it last?
    Nope - no more than three months.
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]I have, in the past, disgraced myself by calling a mate's girlfriend a 'fat, ugly, clueless moose' - sadly for me they're still together ten years later, are married and have two kids. As a result, I don't really see my mate any more - but it doesn't bother me - I was right then, and I'm still right now. I'd never apologise for it.[/cite][cite]

That is harsh. Surely if your mate is happy then you should be happy for him?[/cite]
    Two different things altogether. I'm happy that he's happy, but couldn't give a toss about her - so why should I apologise?
  • Options
    [/quote]
    Two different things altogether. I'm happy that he's happy, but couldn't give a toss about her - so why should I apologise?[/quote][/quote]

Exactly how I would see it, if you meet someone and you think they are a complete numbnuts, then thats what you think, end of, you should not change your opinion to suit, or not to offend because someone you know is dating them, or is a friend of theirs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    Two different things altogether. I'm happy that he's happy, but couldn't give a toss about her - so why should I apologise?

Exactly how I would see it, if you meet someone and you think they are a complete numbnuts, then thats what you think, end of, you should not change your opinion to suit, or not to offend because someone you know is dating them, or is a friend of theirs.

No i agree with not changing your opinion, but i think Leroy should've kept his thoughts to himself as he's now alienated his mate. I've got a mate whose girlfriend i think is a complete idiot and don't know why he's with her and i try to avoid her but i keep my thoughts to myself.
  • Options
    Leroy, fancy coming round to dinner on Sunday ?

My stuck-up wife with a bad hairdo and annoying cackling laugh is cooking a shit, overcooked roast dinner.

You'll love it mate :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

but it then effects your friendship with your mate?

I havent agreed with all of my friends partners but have been civil to some as i value my mates more and woudl prefer to have them in my life then not.
  • Options

No i agree with not changing your opinion, but i think Leroy should've kept his thoughts to himself as he's now alienated his mate. I've got a mate whose girlfriend i think is a complete idiot and don't know why he's with her and i try to avoid her but i keep my thoughts to myself.

But again, it all goes back to the honesty thing, yes, he shouldn't constantly run her down, either to his mate or behind his/her back generally, and keep quiet, but if asked by his mate, he should be true to himself and honest to his pal.
    I have friends my g/f does not like, fair enough, its her opinion, and she has friends I dont like either.
  • Options
    Is saying nothing and annoying no one dishonest?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]

but it then effects your friendship with your mate?

I havent agreed with all of my friends partners but have been civil to some as i value my mates more and woudl prefer to have them in my life then not.

Again, two different things IMO, being civil in their company, is a given, as I would be, but if asked my opinion, I wouldn't lie.
  • Options
    you might not lie but your mate probably wont be grateful for your honesty if they were head over heels and then it woudl affect your friendship. seen it happen too many times to people. luckly not me as my mates (bar one) dont generally go out with idiots.

sometimes its not worth it. if they are too stupid themselves to see it then no amount of someone being honest is going to make them change their mind. love s blind and all that.
  • Options
    problem with criticising someones partner is more often then not it can come down to a choice between them and you, so unless its very serious you must tread very carefully in my experience
  • Options
    the best is when someone splits up, and someone else finally comes out with everything they couldn't stand about the others partner, only for them to get back together a week later ! love it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Leroy, fancy coming round to dinner on Sunday ?

My stuck-up wife with a bad hairdo and annoying cackling laugh is cooking a shit, overcooked roast dinner.

You'll love it mate :-)
    LOLOL - f*** me that's the funniest thing I've seen so far this year - had me spitting tea all over the monitor! Nice one.

Unfortunately no, its me mum's birthday so I'll be sat in an overpriced badly serviced Chinese restaurant listening to a dotty old mare talking bollocks about my childhood days to my neurotic, insecure, overweight (but gorgeous) wife...
  • Options
    Statistically speaking, 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy!
  • Options
    If you wanna be my lover you gotta get with my friends.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do live outside the law you must be honest
  • Options
    I remember Pete Burns on BB trying to excuse every bit of venom that came out of his mouth with the whine that he was just being honest.

The problem with it all is that the thoughts that fizz around in honest Pete's tiny mind seemed to be, "must insult someone to get attention". And where do you draw the line. If you hear someone you don't particularly like has been diagnosed with terminal cancer do you go round to their door and tell them that while you wouldn't wish it on them, you're not actually going to miss them? That'd be the honest thing, right? You wouldn't want them going to the grave in any doubt about what kind of a person you are. What's the point of them heading off into the afterlife sucking on sugar coating. If the Bank posted a million quid into your account would you be straight on the phone to them?

Sorry, but in my opinion when people go on about their brutal honesty I find it's just to excuse a nasty streak and doesn't have much to do with any burning desire to eradicate deceit. Sorry if that offends, but I have to speak as I find.
  • Options
    lol

DA9 = Pete Burns

:-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]lol

DA9 = Pete Burns

:-)

Harsh lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]I remember Pete Burns on BB trying to excuse every bit of venom that came out of his mouth with the whine that he was just being honest.

The problem with it all is that the thoughts that fizz around in honest Pete's tiny mind seemed to be, "must insult someone to get attention". And where do you draw the line. If you hear someone you don't particularly like has been diagnosed with terminal cancer do you go round to their door and tell them that while you wouldn't wish it on them, you're not actually going to miss them? That'd be the honest thing, right? You wouldn't want them going to the grave in any doubt about what kind of a person you are. What's the point of them heading off into the afterlife sucking on sugar coating. If the Bank posted a million quid into your account would you be straight on the phone to them?

Sorry, but in my opinion when people go on about their brutal honesty I find it's just to excuse a nasty streak and doesn't have much to do with any burning desire to eradicate deceit. Sorry if that offends, but I have to speak as I find.
    No problem. For what its worth I'm a nasty c*** anyway.
  • Options
    i always find tact works
    fu**in bollx do i !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Sorry, but in my opinion when people go on about their brutal honesty I find it's just to excuse a nasty streak and doesn't have much to do with any burning desire to eradicate deceit. Sorry if that offends, but I have to speak as I find.
    I have to agree 100% with that comment. It costs nothing to be nice to other people. As McLovin says, brutal honesty is just a pathetic excuse for being nasty to people. I also apologise if that offends anybody.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Do people really speak their mind to the point that it will almost certainly affend others?
    I think not, we all know when to be economic with the truth.
  • Options
    Interesting one this, how about this one for those who say that they prefer "brutal honesty"?

A new bloke joins your firm, let's say he's a Somalian refugee. Making conversation you ask him how he is enjoying life in your country.

"I fucking hate it," he says (in a heayy Somalian accent), "The people are rude and do nothing but drink and watch football, the food is greasy and unhealthy, most of the women dress like sluts and the weather is shit as well."

I wonder how people would enjoy that type of "brutal honesty"?
  • Options
    A wise man once said to me, "everyone's a c***". Start from there and you won't go far wrong, I tell thee.