Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Shepherd in the NoTW

Quite a good article. Cannot believe that it was 25 years ago.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/167897/VALLEY-OF-DEATH-II.html

Comments

• Options
    The article sends chills down my back
  • Options
    Rob lives in Beckenham by the way.
  • Options
    a 12 year old kid could of written that. he wants to look at the rubbish that is earning a living as a reporter before he rounds on the players.

article is totally devoid of depth, insight or anything new
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kentred2[/cite]a 12 year old kid could of written that. he wants to look at the rubbish that is earning a living as a reporter before he rounds on the players.

article is totally devoid of depth, insight or anything new

Can someone put the article up...I refuse to read, let alone buy, The News of the Screws.
  • Options
    Charlton stand on brink of disaster once again

07/02/2009
    IN THE hut they called home, members of the Charlton Supporters Club rang a bell.

It signalled the moment when their beloved club went bust. In the shadow of The Valley, grown men wept. No, you didn’t miss something amid the blizzards; this happened 25 years ago.

Back in 1984 the real fear was that a club of such great tradition would disappear. Instead it reinvented itself magnificently. Despite years of ground-share when The Valley was locked, Charlton emerged as the model for clubs outside the rich elite.

Sound financial footing, supporter representation on the board, living within their means... they had it all. Now the bell may toll again. Rooted to the foot of the Championship, there is a distinct possibility the club will go into administration, take the 10-point hit this season and try to rise again.

But this time, given a recession that threatens to deepen, will there really be any backers to make it happen? Or will there always be a speculator who believes that by resurrecting Charlton, he can plunder the riches of the Premier League in a few years’ time?

I wonder whether it is getting to the point where some club chairmen wonder whether the cost of promotion into the big time is worth it if a brief time of boom becomes bust.

Charlton’s mistake after the departure of the pragmatic Alan Curbishley was to lavish money in the belief they could become something bigger than they were.

Their mistake, I guess — but the panic induced by the fear of relegation and the catastrophic loss of revenue is out of control. How can it not be when clubs have just spent £159million in the transfer window?

Despite improved parachute payments, the chasm between the Premier League and Championship is too big.

Premier League bosses insist they can’t regulate how clubs spend all the TV money. And at least they do redistribute £131m of Sky and Setanta’s cash.

But it is ridiculous that, at a time when there has never been so much money in the game, there are more clubs in trouble.

Or that fans, many of who have lost jobs, have to pay more for tickets or TV subscriptions...all so more average players can afford another Aston Martin.

The time has come for clubs to get their houses in order and operate more like real businesses, not rack up debt which puts them at desperate risk.

They must somehow also ensure that relegation is not the financial disaster it has become. Oh, and stop ripping off the punters. If nothing is done, it may well take heavy-handed legislation from UEFA — as threatened by Michel Platini — to bring some sanity into the English game.

The big clubs may initially resist but may well think again given the way the world is changing.

Despite his success at renegotiating the TV deal, Premier League supremo Richard Scudamore has admitted the English game was not recession-proof.

Clubs including Chelsea, Liverpool and West Ham need to understand that as much as Charlton.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    How many years old is that picture of Rob....I'd hardly recognise him!
    Can't criticise the article to be honest...though it's not doing much other than stating the bleeding obvious.
    Mind you, you have to remember that he is addressing the average NOTW reader to whom much of what he's written is probably new to them.
  • Options
    get off your high horse.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]get off your high horse.

Sorry?
    I think TNOTW is a total rag of the first order and can't understand 'anyone' reading it let alone buying it....in that view I'm sure I'm not alone by a long chalk.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's also the most popular paper in Britain mate, so it's difficult to criticise what the masses want and read....
  • Options
    You're not alone in your take on the NOTW, but anything that attempts to get some pretty important issues more widely discussed is, IMO to be welcomed. It may be stating the obvious, but sometimes it takes a lot of people repeatedly saying the same thing before there are any changes. The NOTW may just reach the parts that newspapers don't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    can we have a poll on who reads / buys the news of the world... could be interesting.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]It's also the most popular paper in Britain mate, so it's difficult to criticise what the masses want and read....

No, its not difficult to criticise it. It's sensationalist, populist dogshit that pays out millions in libel fees every year for the lies that it tells.

Oh, by the way, its quite ironic that a "law and order" obssessed publication like the NOTW employs a convincted violent felon like Rob Shepherd.

Its also hilarious that they have apparently tried to stitch up Harry Redknapp on several occasions on the "transfer bung" story and he has seen through it time after time - unlike poor old Sven.
  • Options
    Lets forger peoples opinion of NOTW its a Decent Article, I think the point being argued is that its not news to all of us on here! Of course we are all only to aware of the bubble bursting theory being touted, as unfortunatley we were the boys in the bubble. Its a sad and depressing situation for all of us but we have to keep beleiving just as we did 20-25 years ago.

I think that clubs have gone into decline and been relegated in the past and battled back in time, I sometimes feel that we are all effected by the sensationalist age we now see to live in where relegation into the 3rd tier is deemed the end of any club. Well heres its not! Teams live at this level, not thriving but living on, and recovery is very possible. Hull were bottom of the football league 6 or so years back,

Its been said before and I'll say it again, keep the faith guys.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: superclive[/cite]Lets forger peoples opinion of NOTW its a Decent Article, I think the point being argued is that its not news to all of us on here! Of course we are all only to aware of the bubble bursting theory being touted, as unfortunatley we were the boys in the bubble. Its a sad and depressing situation for all of us but we have to keep beleiving just as we did 20-25 years ago.

I think that clubs have gone into decline and been relegated in the past and battled back in time, I sometimes feel that we are all effected by the sensationalist age we now see to live in where relegation into the 3rd tier is deemed the end of any club. Well heres its not! Teams live at this level, not thriving but living on, and recovery is very possible. Hull were bottom of the football league 6 or so years back,

Its been said before and I'll say it again, keep the faith guys.

Agreed, Stoke, Hull and Wigan have been in Tier Three in recent years and Brum and Reading have as well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]get off your high horse.

Sorry?
    I think TNOTW is a total rag of the first order and can't understand 'anyone' reading it let alone buying it....in that view I'm sure I'm not alone by a long chalk.

So you won't want to know the latest on the Jade Goody cancer saga, or that Peaches geldof's marrage is on the rocks?
    Just cannot fathom some people out.
    By the way, what did Rob Shepherd do?
  • Options
    You dont read the NotW, it has pictures.
  • Options
    And some nice pictures at that.
  • Options
    I wouldn't normally read the NOTW, what with having brain cells in at least double figures at the last count, but there was nothing wrong with that article and it contained a lot of sense IMHO.

Thanks for mentioning Stoke, Hull and Wigan - that has put things nicely into perspective. Yes we are doomed to relegation this season (and if we are to go into administration at some point, we should take the hit now as that would be the sensible thing to do), but there is no reason why we cannot rise again in the future; a complete overhaul might even do us a lot of good in the long run, as long as we learn our lessons from it!

Blimey I'm actually feeling quite optimistic now - I'd better have a lie down!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]
    He was sentenced in January 2004 to 14 months' imprisonment for attacking a man in a London wine bar. The judge dismissed his claim of self-defence.
  • Options
    Rob Shepherd said in his article:

"Charlton’s mistake after the departure of the pragmatic Alan Curbishley was to lavish money in the belief they could become something bigger than they were."

Wrong. The Board spent the money in attempt to secure Charlton's place in the Prem, as the minimum that clubs would receive in Prem money the following season was to rise to £30 million.

Richard Murray said at the time, that it was essential not to be relegated from the Prem for that financial reason.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    that was the bit that stood out to me too, oggy. the squad needed improving in order to "tread water" not to push on, and the board acted.

It was more of a gamble than we normally take, but it's also the sort of thing a lot of clubs have been doing for a long time. It is only a mistake with the benefit of hindsight.
  • Options
    That's right Claus.

It was only a mistake because it didn't eventually work out.

As it was, with better management and only a couple of marginally better results, the club would have stayed up - and the decision would have been vindicated as the right one.

The difference between failure and success can be very small indeed.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]So you won't want to know the latest on the Jade Goody cancer saga, or that Peaches geldof's marrage is on the rocks?
    Just cannot fathom some people out.

You don't need to buy the NOTW to know that Jade has had a golf ball sized tumour removed from her bowel and Peaches and Max Drummey are to divorce after just 6 months.

Personally wouldn't buy it as it has been sued successfully many times for the lies it's printed and would not want to encourage that type of reckless journalism.
  • Options
    If the moral mafia say NoTW is shit it must be worth reading.They can carry on reading The Morning Star
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]If the moral mafia say NoTW is shit it must be worth reading.They can carry on reading The Morning Star

No, get from the internet. Only the truth is ever printed in cyber space ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]If the moral mafia say NoTW is shit it must be worth reading.They can carry on reading The Morning Star

Yes, that's bang on. If you don't like the sleazy, sensationalist dog-shit served up in the NOTW then you really must be a Communist.
  • Options
    NoTW = prole fodder.

Life is just too short to read that trash, but if celebrity gossip is your thing then fine.
  • Options
    Hey - I read the Morning Star and I'm not a communist!

Wait - actually, that's not true - I DON'T read the Morning Star but I AM a communist.
  • Options
    Strange that this article should appear now.

I was told yesterday by a friend of a friend who claims to have an "inside track" that we would be going into administration in "about 3 weeks."

It might be like those Religious Sects predicting the end of the world but then again.....
  • Options
    Its a reasonable article and has a lot of truth in .
    How did it happen so fast -----Shit!