Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Hermann

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
going to achieve yet another relegation with Portsmouth?

Or will the great Curbs save them with the boring, negative football many of us hated?

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]going to achieve yet another relegation with Portsmouth?

Or will the great Curbs save them with the boring, negative football many of us hated?

Curbs will keep them up, assuming he takes over.
  • Options
    I love boring negative football

Beats the crap half hearted stuff we play now

Mid table Premiership
    or

League 1

God Curbs you were crap
  • Options
    I loved having Curbs as manager, 1-0 wins, 1-1 draws, always enough to get the job done.

I believe football is about winning, not playing fancy football and creating attractive matches.

If you want entertainment, go to the Circus.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah True strange the ground looks half empty every game when your so right

Gets me why people are not happy going down yet another league with players that dont give a dam
  • Options
    Pompey are in big trouble but might have just enough to get out of it.

WBA are down, that loss yesterday was a big blow to them. Why the hell they didn't just give Kevin Philips a two-year deal I will never know. He might have got the 10-12 goals they needed to keep them up.

Stoke and Hull are also sliding - but the former's home form might just keep them safe - and Newcastle are also diabolical and stacked full of injuries.

The problem for Pompey is that the transfer window is closed - they are skint anyway - so even if you brought Curbs or another new boss in then they have the same players to work with.

They should not go down though, James, Johnson, Campbell, Distin, Krancjar and Crouch are all very decent players.
  • Options
    Curbs played enternaining footy when he had the players to do it, remember the team of 2003-04 with parker, paolo, claus etc? or the team in 98 with super clive newts robbo kins?

he did what he had to do with the players he had, pompey have some good players like ormiston says, and they should stay up.
  • Options
    Middlesborough are certs to go down imho.

No win in 13 League games and scored 3 goals in their last 11. No team, including us, can have a worse record than that in the whole of the League.
  • Options
    Surely, no team can be considered down just 2 points behind safety with 13 or 14 matches to play ....?

The decisive matches will be when lower table teams play each other - they can't both win, neither can they both lose.
    So the teams in those matches has to put a point or points on the table.
  • Options
    How spoilt we were under Curbs but didn't know it. I still cringe now when I remember certain members of the North Upper cheering when he announced his leaving against Blackburn in May 2006....
  • Options
    we were spoilt and there's plenty of perspective on offer now.

he did get a brilliant response from the vast majority though who made clear we appreciated what he'd contributed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Surely, no team can be considered down just 2 points behind safety with 13 or 14 matches to play ....?

The decisive matches will be when lower table teams play each other - they can't both win, neither can they both lose.
    So the teams in those matches has to put a point or points on the table.

That's why I added the "IMHO" Oggy ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Middlesborough are certs to go down imho.

No win in 13 League games and scored 3 goals in their last 11. No team, including us, can have a worse record than that in the whole of the League.

Christ, I forgot about them! They really are shite as well.

My final pick - WBA, Stoke (on away form), Boro.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]going to achieve yet another relegation with Portsmouth?

Or will the great Curbs save them with the boring, negative football many of us hated?[/quote]

Living in the Pompey catchment area , the buzz is that Adams has to go and Curbs is nailed on. (The Pompey Paper
    The News is 'Curbs in 'as a capaign)
    I think Curbs may not risk this one. He has nothing to prove , if he waits a while there is a bigger job at Tottenham waiting , as soon as Harry is sussed out there.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Christ, if the Spuds even thought about employing Curbs there would be a bloody riot.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    and Tony Adams has been sacked....
  • Options
    Interesting ' is Curbs stock so low generally in football?, I think he has kept his rep intact.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nelsenout[/cite]Interesting ' is Curbs stock so low generally in football?, I think he has kept his rep intact.

I think he has an excellent reputation amongst "proper" football people, in fact, I am SURE that he does. He is a fine coach/manager, the problem is that very few chairman out there will have the balls to give him a top job because they fear the backlash from the "606" crew who will call him small fry and claim that their club should be appointing Van Gael, Cappello, Trapatoni, Klinsmann etc...

I would love to see him back in Premiership and eventually winning a major trophy, I have nothing but love and respect for the man.
  • Options
    Herman to stay at Pompey for another year after Paul Hart kept them up:

http://goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/06/24/1344038/portsmouth-extend-hermann-hreidarssons-contract-by-a-further
  • Options
    I really don't understand why Herman never gets a hard time off us.

Despite being the most relegated player in Prem history he still had the cheek to demand a relegation release clause which allowed him to walk out on us to Pompey on a free and doubtlessly line his pockets in the process.

Played badly in his last two seasons.

Has the Palace taint on him
  • Options
    I'm with you on that one McLovin.

I don't boo many players when the come back to play us (not that any will now we are in the 3rd tier of English football) but he is one of them.

What commitment did he have towards the latter part of our last season in the Prem when he knew if we went down he could leave for nought and get a nice signing on fee for himself - would you give 110% in every game when you know you could be picking up ££££'s in a few monhs time somewhere else.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thats very harsh on HH. i never saw the guy give less than 100% at any time for us.

we picked him up at a knock-down price and then agreed to the clause. would you boo darren bent? he knew he'd be leaving if we got relegated and made a lot of money in the process. what about scott carson? he said he would not consider staying if we went down.
  • Options
    I liked Curbs's win 4-2 at Highbury, doubles over Liverpool and Chelsea, he wasn't really that bad compared with recent incumbents.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: c4fcdenmark[/cite]I liked Curbs's win 4-2 at Highbury, doubles over Liverpool and Chelsea, he wasn't really that bad compared with recent incumbents.

Plus the many wins over Spurs & West Ham, and great wins against Liverpool and just about every other team except Man U....
    If that's boring, I think boredom is someting we should strive for...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]thats very harsh on HH. i never saw the guy give less than 100% at any time for us.

we picked him up at a knock-down price and then agreed to the clause. would you boo darren bent? he knew he'd be leaving if we got relegated and made a lot of money in the process. what about scott carson? he said he would not consider staying if we went down.
    Well no, we got a lot of cash for Darren Bent and I really didn't see him not putting in 100%. He also didn't come to us Scott Carson was never our player and (at that point anyway) wasn't a repeated relegatee, so being on the international fringes I don't think anyone would have expected him to stay.

I couldn't say whether Herman was trying 100% or not, but for me, his performances were very poor as the end approached.

I just think that generally clauses that allow players to walk out on a free on a relegation are poor business - as Golfie points out it incentivises players to fail. If the team goes down I think everyone in that team should shoulder the blame. If - like Bent, Young and Carson - the player is good and someone is prepared to meet the relegated club's valuation then it's fair enough if they want to pursue their career elsewhere, but I don't think you should be rewarded for failure. I think HH was, and that's wrong. Not necessarily his fault, we've agreed some stupid contracts in recent years.
  • Options
    I think HH was playing with an injury in the last few months he had with us...
    spilt blood for the cause and i'm sure he'd have liked to have stayed up with charlton and got a new contract with them rather than have to travel down to pompey or move his family
    or there again he should have wasted the last few years of his career playing for a crap team rather than going to pompey and getting a chance to play in europe or a cup final
    i mean put yourself in his shoes and not being a charlton fan ....i'd have done what he did
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    Well no, we got a lot of cash for Darren Bent and I really didn't see him not putting in 100%. He also didn't come to us Scott Carson was never our player and (at that point anyway) wasn't a repeated relegatee, so being on the international fringes I don't think anyone would have expected him to stay.

I couldn't say whether Herman was trying 100% or not, but for me, his performances were very poor as the end approached.

I just think that generally clauses that allow players to walk out on a free on a relegation are poor business - as Golfie points out it incentivises players to fail. If the team goes down I think everyone in that team should shoulder the blame. If - like Bent, Young and Carson - the player is good and someone is prepared to meet the relegated club's valuation then it's fair enough if they want to pursue their career elsewhere, but I don't think you should be rewarded for failure. I think HH was, and that's wrong. Not necessarily his fault, we've agreed some stupid contracts in recent years.

i'd say HH is one of the most committed players i've seen play for charlton. the clause was bad business but at the end of the day we agreed to it and took the risk. In theory players with an escape caluse (and players like bent who were almost certian to leave) could feel incentivised to under-perform or not try but in reality i don't think it happens too much, because they have too much pride. Especially not with a character like hermann. Winston Bogarde may have been a different matter...

i agree that when a team gets relegated the best players (who are likely to have under-performed) tend not to be the real victims. It's frustrating that they just move on with their careers but i can't think of a way around it. Especially with teams relegated from the PL needing the money from selling players.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]I think HH was playing with an injury in the last few months he had with us...
    spilt blood for the cause and i'm sure he'd have liked to have stayed up with charlton and got a new contract with them rather than have to travel down to pompey or move his family
    or there again he should have wasted the last few years of his career playing for a crap team rather than going to pompey and getting a chance to play in europe or a cup final
    i mean put yourself in his shoes and not being a charlton fan ....i'd have done what he did

Couldn't have said it better. Herman always gave 100% Even at Centre back which is not his position.

When i get me a big arse Great Dane it shall be named Herminator. And yes i realize he is Icelandic,
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: millaphile[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]I think HH was playing with an injury in the last few months he had with us...

Couldn't have said it better. Herman always gave 100% Even at Centre back which is not his position.

When i get me a big arse Great Dane it shall be named Herminator. And yes i realize he is Icelandic,

Exactly right, lads.

It's strange that some people will make judgement on a player, without taking into account the context of the situation at the time.

How long did Herman spend with us, 3 or 4 seasons ....?
    He was a colossus for us, match after match, season after season.

Sure sometimes he'd make a mistake, but then so too does every single player.from time to time.

In his last season with us, he was taken from his familiar left back spot, and played centreback instead.
    Then he got injured.

The difference being, Herman was the player who couldn't train in the week, needed pain killing injections before kick off,
    but still gave what he could. Sometimes you could see he was struggling with fitness during the match, but he kept going and invariably played 90 minutes. Full marks to the player, there's many a professional today who would declare themselves unfit, and shy off.

Anyway, Herman wasn't the manager - so the decision to play an unfit player was his manager's.

Jon Fortune early that season broke his toe ...... and volunteered to play as a last resort, when we had a CB injury crisis.
    At the time, people slagged him off too.
  • Options
    Dunno about Hermann. One of those players you can't help but like because he is a grafter, and always looks to be committed. Unfortunately, his decision making at times was woeful, and some of his challenges were just fecking stupid - he ended up losing us just as many points as he won us - either directly or by contributing to inept performances at the back. On balance, I think I still look back on his time with us fondly though.
  • Options
    He was an 'old school' player though, Leroy ......... wanted to play for the sheer love of playing

They're a dwindling species in the Baby Bentley age.