Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Former Chairman Dies (Thread from 2009)

13»

Comments

• Options
    Poor attendances ........? You can only fill what you have.

After our return/before the East Stand was opened capacity was around 8,400, but what was our average gate for the first season after we returned? From memory it was around 7,500, i.e. a good 1,000 or so less than capacity and I don't recall that many occasions when we sold out the ground after the initial Pompey match. We couldn't fill what we had and there were those that thought that the target 10,000 initiative was a waste of time...
  • Options
    But that was immediately after the 'Exile' years - the damage had been done to our fan base while we'd been forced away.
    It took a little time and patience to rebuild - hence the target 10,000, and ultimately the opening of the East Stand.

I don't have those stats to hand, of course - but while the ground sold out regularly for the attractive matches, most of the remainder were within 10% below capacity.
  • Options
    I thought that more often than not when the attendance dipped below the capacity of 8,337 it was because the away fans didn't take the full allocation......
  • Options
    When the East Stand opened our capacity increased to circa 13,000, we had trouble finding 13,000 people, with or without away fans.

The bottom line is with enlightened ownership, a board prepared to invest in the squad and ground, sound and sensible marketing etc we never looked back, nothing there that was rocket science, all things that the Gliksten's failed to do, unless you include the bizarre decision in the late 70s to renovate the South Stand for use by away fans, while ignoring the home end...
  • Options
    "I've learnt in recent years that a lot of the bad stuff said about him was cobblers and that, in fact, he bankrolled the club for many years out of his own pocket just to keep it going. In the end he lost interest and went to live in OZ. Alan Mullery said in his autobiography that he once saw Gliksten write out a personal cheque for £100K to settle a xlub inland revenue bill in around 1981. Anyone who helped bring Eddie Firmani back to the Valley in '63 is ok by me. R.I.P."

mistrollingin - I think you'll find Alan Mullery was referring to Mark Hulyer and not Michael Gliksten in terms of this cheque for £100,000.
  • Options
    From the OS

Former Charlton manager Theo Foley was among those expected to attend the funeral of ex-Addicks chairman Michael Gliksten on Friday.

Foley and former Charlton defender/attacker Brian Kinsey were due to make the journey to Denham Church, Bury St Edmunds for the service.

And the Addicks players will wear black armbands during Saturday's match against Plymouth Argyle to mark the passing of a man who was at the helm of the club for 20 years, from 1962-82.

Charlton football club chairman Richard Murray said: "Michael and his family ran the club for 50 of its 103 years, and hopefully this gesture will show a level of respect befitting the Glikstens' involvement over such a long period of time.”

Gliksten died in hospital last Friday, aged 70. Foley served as Addicks manager from April 1970 to April 1974.

The Valley Review for Saturday's match contains an obituary, plus the thoughts of former Addicks midfielder Keith Peacock on the man who was chairman for his entire 17-year playing career in SE7.
  • Options
    i hope the day goes well for his family horrible day today for them my thoughts are truely with them
  • Options
    A nice gallery of pictures of our former chairman on holiday in South Africa in 2003:

http://www.ilovecapetown.com/Tours/Gliksten/Gliksten.htm

My thoughts are with his family at this sad time.
    RIP
  • Options
    Spent a good few years of my Charlton supporting life blaming Mike Gliksten for our ills. It's only when you read the accounts of those close to what was going on that you actually appreciate how difficult things were. And what is clear is that many of the players respected the man.

Right now, we don't even know who owns the Club let alone what they are doing to it!
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Michael Gliksten was someone who was the owner of Charlton because of his Father and Uncle. The Gliksten brothers had an opportunity to turn Charlton into the Arsenal of South London and emulate, and be rivals of the Hillwoods. They chose not to as they didn't have the vision to see the business opportunities they could make money as the players in those days were on a similar wage to white collar workers. Michael just decided to sell, sell, sell. Too boring and depressing to keep naming the players sold under his lukewarm ownership.

I know it's all the rage to rewrite history but just because we have had a nightmare with most owners since, my discussion with old players back in the 80's paints a gloomy picture of the Gliksten's unambitious running of CAFC. 

The treatment of Jimmy Seed who got blood from a stone  was typical of their ownership.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Michael Gliksten was someone who was the owner of Charlton because of his Father and Uncle. The Gliksten brothers had an opportunity to turn Charlton into the Arsenal of South London and emulate, and be rivals of the Hillwoods. They chose not to as they didn't have the vision to see the business opportunities they could make money as the players in those days were on a similar wage to white collar workers. Michael just decided to sell, sell, sell. Too boring and depressing to keep naming the players sold under his lukewarm ownership.

I know it's all the rage to rewrite history but just because we have had a nightmare with most owners since, my discussion with old players back in the 80's paints a gloomy picture of the Gliksten's unambitious running of CAFC. 

The treatment of Jimmy Seed who got blood from a stone  was typical of their ownership.
    I'd take "lukewarm and unambitious" right now!

Seriously how many clubs actually have unrivalled success and have remained forever more in the top flight - probably no more than three? It just so happens that Arsenal are one of them. 
  • Options

I'd take "lukewarm and unambitious" right now!

Seriously how many clubs actually have unrivalled success and have remained forever more in the top flight - probably no more than three? It just so happens that Arsenal are one of them. 
    Stanley Glikstein was passionate about Charlton and had it not been for the war would have invested more but with war clouds looming in 1938 was unhappy with further investment at that time.

He apparently considered moving his beloved Charlton to South Africa on 1953 according to Jimmy Seed in his autobiography , if I remember correctly. 
    Blimey, I don't think the 75 bus goes that far.

And to think we protested about playing our home games at Portakabin Corner.