Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Former Chairman Dies (Thread from 2009)

Michael Glikstein passed away today. On O/S.

Comments

• Options
    Mmmmmmm.....I'm going to be brutaly honest........I have mixed feelings.
  • Options
    I don't imagine you are alone, I wonder if there will be a minutes silence or something.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I don't imagine you are alone, I wonder if there will be a minutes silence or something.[/quote]

Yeah im sure he could be added to next Jans minutes applause
  • Options
    Best that if people dont have anything good to say then say nothing at all and this doesnt lead into a horrible thread.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Best that if people dont have anything good to say then say nothing at all and this doesnt lead into a horrible thread.

Agree. The man is dead now so let's leave it there.

He visited the Valley a few years ago and was pleased that Peter Varney made him welcome. Paddy Powell saw him and made a fuss over "Mr Michael" and that really touched him.

I think it was a bit of a reconcilliation from his point of view, that he could came back to the Valley. Will have to get Peter to tell the full story.

I wrote to him in the mid 90s asking him to come to a meeting at Bromley. He sent me back a very charming letter declining as he said he made it a point never made any comment on the Club in public but he said he was delighted to see the team back at the Valley and doing so well. So despite all that happened and all the things he did maybe he still had Charlton in his heart.
  • Options
    agree with Curbit, plus wasn't requesting anything...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Mmmmmmm.....I'm going to be brutaly honest........I have mixed feelings.

me too, hence no RIP etc. And, as Brenda says, we don't want this degenerating into something it shouldn't. We can rise above that.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Yeah im sure he could be added to next Jans minutes applause

that should be sufficient in my opinion.
  • Options
    very true.
  • Options
    I've learnt in recent years that a lot of the bad stuff said about him was cobblers and that, in fact, he bankrolled the club for many years out of his own pocket just to keep it going. In the end he lost interest and went to live in OZ. Alan Mullery said in his autobiography that he once saw Gliksten write out a personal cheque for £100K to settle a xlub inland revenue bill in around 1981. Anyone who helped bring Eddie Firmani back to the Valley in '63 is ok by me. R.I.P.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Gliksten family made Charlton a first tier club before and after World War 2 and as (possibly) the last surviving direct link Michael deserves respect and gratitude for that.

Michael was 70 when he died. That makes him 23 when he took over as chairman from his father Stanley , a very young age to run a football club.

Even when all the bankruptcy and ground stuff happened he was still only in his mid forties.

Perhaps one should be charitable and put some of his actions (which enraged me as much as anybody) down to inexperience rather than malice.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP

Whatever your feelings towards him, he was a human being with a family & friends, who will be suffering as we speak.
  • Options
    I'd be interested to read Airman Brown's views at a later date.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]The Gliksten family made Charlton a first tier club before and after World War 2 and as (possibly) the last surviving direct link Michael deserves respect and gratitude for that.

Michael was 70 when he died. That makes him 23 when he took over as chairman from his father Stanley , a very young age to run a football club.

Even when all the bankruptcy and ground stuff happened he was still only in his mid forties.

Perhaps one should be charitable and put some of his actions (which enraged me as much as anybody) down to inexperience rather than malice.

RIP

well said
  • Options
    Can`t see any reason not to respect the man. He and his father certainly did keep Charlton alive and I think we must all remember that football was not in his day the money orientated monsters that it has now become. RIP
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]agree with Curbit, plus wasn't requesting anything...

As do I, but people will always give their opinions.

R.I.P
    as for once you have died in my opinion (dependant on whether you were Good or Neutral Your sins are forgiven in my opinion but if Evil the story isn't as rosey)
  • Options
    TBH

so much water has passed under the bridge now

we are who we are due to the adversity we faced back then in tbh i feel better for it as we stuck together and as fans we pulled ourselves through those days

RIP mr chairman

my condolences to his family
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Best that if people dont have anything good to say then say nothing at all and this doesnt lead into a horrible thread.

Best way I think Curb_it, but what ever you think he was another human being.

RIP
  • Options
    Yes, wasnt exactly a fan but have to say my sympathy today is with his family, loved ones and friends. RIP
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]I'd be interested to read Airman Brown's views at a later date.

As per Battle for The Valley, really. I never held him responsible for 1985 at all and nothing I've learned since has changed my mind - he was scapegoated by the club to avoid them having to take responsibility for their own actions - plus people whose views I respect and who knew him like Colin Cameron, Keith Peacock and Derek Ufton speak kindly of him.

I think he was a difficult man with almost no PR skills in an age when directors didn't come under the kind of scrutiny they do now. He was a patrician figure, despite his relative youth when he became chairman, and he kept the club afloat through some choppy waters and obviously saw it as a matter of family duty. As Killer says on the OS, it was all very old-fashioned and that was going to change, whether it was Mark Hulyer who changed it or not.

His father was probably the one who did the damage to the club, as Derek Ufton infers on the centenary history when relating Jimmy Seed's view.

My personal view is that had the match gone ahead tomorrow it would have been appropriate for the team to wear black armbands, although I doubt that would have happened. I hope the club at least sends flowers to the funeral.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I found it interesting the Derek Ufton spoke up for him to a certain extent.

People who run football clubs do love a scapegoat. . . .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]I found it interesting the Derek Ufton spoke up for him to a certain extent.

People who run football clubs do love a scapegoat. . . .

Likewise do us fans ;-)
  • Options
    I heard some years ago that at the end of each season he would settle the club's oustanding bills to keep it out of serious financial trouble. Under his stewardship we became a selling club rather than one with serious aspirations to return to (and stay in ) DIV 1. A shame because at times we had some very good players who, if kept together, and with some further investment could have got us back up in the '60s. But the main thing is, as Airman says, he kept us afloat, just a shame about who he sold it to. RIP.
  • Options
    Got this from Peter Varney and he asked me to post this up here. Feel free to post it on other sites if you wish.

"I have been to every home match bar a handful since my first match against Brighton and Hove Albion as a sixth birthday present in 1960 and like others I went around the back of the west stand on a number of occasions to join in the chants of 'Gliksten Out' at various times during his stewardship of the club.My dad blamed him for our failure to recapture the glories of the past and for not investing in The Valley and was always telling me up to his death that we could have been as big as Arsenal if we had invested at the right times in the stadium and the team.

I can't comment on the problems there were when we bought The Valley back from Gliksten as I wasn't at the club but one of the things that occurred to me when I worked with Rick Everitt on the excellent centenary dvd he produced with David Moss was that it was sad that someone whose family had run the club for half of its' existence and who was now in his later years felt unable to come back to The Valley or be a part of the dvd.

I was therefore one of those who persuaded him to come to a match.I took him on a tour of The Valley and he wanted to see every last piece of the stadium and as he stood on the pitch surveying The Valley tears rolled down his face. He told me he felt it what had happened was a miracle and he was full of praise for Roger Alwen and Richard Murray in particular for what they had achieved. He said he felt he was unpopular with some board members and the supporters and was nervous attending the match but that Charlton remained the
    first result he looked for and that he had put significant sums of money into the club during his stewardship and only wanted good for the club.

History will judge him on that of course. I took him to see Keith Peacock and Paddy Powell and they immediately both hugged him and called him 'Mr Michael' and spent ages recounting stories from the past and in Paddy's case how he had been screwed to the floor on wages!. Again he got very emotional. I asked him to come to the boardroom for a drink but he declined. He came to a match once again with Bernard Wickham and I sense he has gone to his grave a happier man as a result of his two visits to The Valley.

In my view his passing should be a time to forget any past hostilities and it should be recognised with black arm bands against Plymouth but that is a decision for the board. This is a time to act with dignity and humility and not recrimination and to do things in the Charlton way."
  • Options
    If its good enough for "Reg" its good enough for me.
    once again
    RIP
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]If its good enough for "Reg" its good enough for me.
    once again
    RIP

Seconded.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]The Gliksten family made Charlton a first tier club before and after World War 2 and as (possibly) the last surviving direct link Michael deserves respect and gratitude for that.

Perhaps one should be charitable and put some of his actions (which enraged me as much as anybody) down to
    inexperience rather than malice.

RIP

I was surprised by his age only 70. Lens comments say enough for me as well. It's time to forgive and remeber the the better things that he did which we were not best aware.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Got this from Peter Varney and he asked me to post this up here. Feel free to post it on other sites if you wish.

"I have been to every home match bar a handful since my first match against Brighton and Hove Albion as a sixth birthday present in 1960 and like others I went around the back of the west stand on a number of occasions to join in the chants of 'Gliksten Out' at various times during his stewardship of the club.My dad blamed him for our failure to recapture the glories of the past and for not investing in The Valley and was always telling me up to his death that we could have been as big as Arsenal if we had invested at the right times in the stadium and the team.

I can't comment on the problems there were when we bought The Valley back from Gliksten as I wasn't at the club but one of the things that occurred to me when I worked with Rick Everitt on the excellent centenary dvd he produced with David Moss was that it was sad that someone whose family had run the club for half of its' existence and who was now in his later years felt unable to come back to The Valley or be a part of the dvd.

I was therefore one of those who persuaded him to come to a match.I took him on a tour of The Valley and he wanted to see every last piece of the stadium and as he stood on the pitch surveying The Valley tears rolled down his face. He told me he felt it what had happened was a miracle and he was full of praise for Roger Alwen and Richard Murray in particular for what they had achieved. He said he felt he was unpopular with some board members and the supporters and was nervous attending the match but that Charlton remained the
    first result he looked for and that he had put significant sums of money into the club during his stewardship and only wanted good for the club.

History will judge him on that of course. I took him to see Keith Peacock and Paddy Powell and they immediately both hugged him and called him 'Mr Michael' and spent ages recounting stories from the past and in Paddy's case how he had been screwed to the floor on wages!. Again he got very emotional. I asked him to come to the boardroom for a drink but he declined. He came to a match once again with Bernard Wickham and I sense he has gone to his grave a happier man as a result of his two visits to The Valley.

In my view his passing should be a time to forget any past hostilities and it should be recognised with black arm bands against Plymouth but that is a decision for the board. This is a time to act with dignity and humility and not recrimination and to do things in the Charlton way."

Peter, please come back.
  • Options
    RIP Mr Chairman. Peter you are a true legend
  • Options
    My Grandfather hated him and his father too; but as you all say what's the point now.. at least the ground was still there to go back to.