Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What gates will we get in Div 1...?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]we are not getting that much more than 13000 through the turnstiles for some games already, but if we do go down gates will depend on how well we do (obviously) but even if we top the league I wouldn't expect to average 16000.

The December 7.45pm kick-offs against Coventry and Derby were very poor, but not as low as 13,000. Reading was the next worst, because of the time of year, plus live TV, but well above those two. Otherwise we have had nothing lower than 17,000 in the ground.

However, I agree that we are going to take a big hit next season as it stands.
    I forgot to say it, but I was thinking in terms of home fans - I suspect that quite a few games this season have seen less than 14k home fans in the ground.
  • Options
    agree that a few people will be surprised how many S/Ts we sell although a lot will depend on how they price them

the fact is our core support has increased considerably since the 80s and early 90s and this would be reflected

whatever is it, it will be a lot more than Millwall if they are in the same division and not much less if they are one league above us
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]agree that a few people will be surprised how many S/Ts we sell although a lot will depend on how they price them
    Probably another discussion but I dont think we'll see big changes - especially in the adult prices.
  • Options
    I reckon we'll sell 11k season tickets.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]I forgot to say it, but I was thinking in terms of home fans - I suspect that quite a few games this season have seen less than 14k home fans in the ground.

Again, it would only be true of Derby and Coventry, when the home support was about 13,500.

I would caution those predicting mid-teens gates next season that about a fifth of season-ticket holders have been missing at EVERY game this season, averaged out, and obviously people have been staying away in larger numbers as the outlook has got worse and worse.
  • Options
    Lets get there first before we worry bout the gates!!!
  • Options
    Can someone please edit the title to this thread its Division Three calling it League One is just spin :-)

We'll never drop below 10,000 home fans all next season in my opinion.
  • Options
    If we promise a free st in 1 and 2 years time for 2 promotions then 21, 000 :-)
  • Options
    i think we'll average 14k if we do well and 9-10k if crap but we might win a few games, it'll be exciting just like the drop from the premiership has proved to be
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As a measure of how far our attendances could fall i see Leeds got less than 20k last night. Yes it was on sky but it was still a big game for them. Their crowds have almost halved since they dropped out of the top flight.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]As a measure of how far our attendances could fall i see Leeds got less than 20k last night. Yes it was on sky but it was still a big game for them. Their crowds have almost halved since they dropped out of the top flight.

yep i spotted that and they are what i would call a 'biggish'(in terms of support) club so if we don't bounce back up straight away target 10k might have to make a comeback!!
  • Options
    I may be wrong but i think Leeds have kept their prices pretty steep
  • Options
    Your not wrong AFKA - Still prem prices in most areas. Im surprised they pull in what they do. And last night was one of their lowest. Had over 30k on boxing day!
  • Options
    If we are skint it is hard to see a reduction in ticket prices realistically as TV revenue (such as it is) will also diminish.

My understanding is that about 50% of fans travel some distance from the depths of Kent etc.

Will they want to do that for third division football?
  • Options
    With the poor away support for clubs in div 1 and the softness of Charltons support I would guess 8,000-10,000 for are average home gate. To many so called Charlton supporters will not stand by the club in difficult times and just say they will not waste there money on what they consider rubbish football. This is what has come of are premiership years. Many people took out season tickets at Charlton as a way of watching Premiership football and on the cheap, once we have no chance of premeirship football for the forseeable future what interest do they have in the club, answer is none. This is what is going to be one of are big problems over the next few years as it will mean a lack of money to get the club improving again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: somerton[/cite]
    . Many people took out season tickets at Charlton as a way of watching Premiership football

I'm sure there were some, but i think this category has been somewhat exagerated.

A far greater category are those that bought season tickets because it is a safe, cheap and convenient way of taking their kids to football regularly. I personally don't see this changing too much.
  • Options
    Just as a yard stick - the 97/98 season (pre Prem) our attendances seemed to range from 10-14k
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Just as a yard stick - the 97/98 season (pre Prem) our attendances seemed to range from 10-14k

We are talking about a division higher and a club demonstrably on the way up back then.

Sadly the converse is true now. The real question is how many diehards have we got?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: somerton[/cite]To many so called Charlton supporters will not stand by the club in difficult times and just say they will not waste there money on what they consider rubbish football.

I think you'll find that history points to the reverse of that statement...

Yeah we'll lose some glory boys (good ridance too) BUT relative to our overall gate very few punters started attending matchs as a way to watch cheap Premiership football IMO. Think it was more a case of fans who had drifted away from the club over the years making the effort to come back becuase it was a)The Valley and b)a lot more attractive/interesting/exciting to watch us playing the big boys rather than our usual, fellow, bottom feeders...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2009
    The credit crunch will have more of an impact on our crowd than relegation.