Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

On 606 - RUMOUR re Parky staying come what may. This needs answering

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
Written by Nick Gray, well known for hostility and stirring up trouble but.....

'I spoke to a well informed Charlton person from within the club last night. Summary of conversation as follows, he won't mind me sharing it as you are unlikely to see similar via the official site.

The mood within the club has perceptibly changed since the weekend. 'The club' now want this season over with as quickly and quietly as possible. Plans are already being discussed for a major 'restructuring' of the playing staff this summer. Here is the good bit- there is NO INTENTION of removing Parkinson. I asked 'what about if we don't win in the last 15 games ?' and was assured that Parkinson would be staying, come what may. It will be communicated at the end of the season that Parkinson was appointed too late to save our season [he wasn't], and that he will get the chance to build a team in League One as he has a good track record at that level.'
I was told that the mood within the club was now 'grim'.

I have no idea if this is true, but I sincerely hope that the Fans Forum reps will push for an answer quickly. If untrue, it requires a swift rebuttal.

Comments

• Options
    No different to what we all suspected to be fair.
  • Options
    and you needed someone to tell you all that ?
  • Options
    Sad but true I suspect.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]and you needed someone to tell you all that ?

lol - don't shoot the messenger
  • Options
    I know we're deep in the mire ....... but even Curbishley said yesterday the chance of survival is still there, etc.

Now it seems with 15 games left, the Board have joined the Defeatists. Unbelievable!

I know it's just gossip but no smoke without fire and all that.
  • Options
    I have also heard exactly that.
  • Options
    quelle surprise!
  • Options
    We're down. If you watched the Palace game you would know.
  • Options
    So what is my 1st impression we as fans have not done enough yet! to underline our feelings of the whole shambles taht has been cafc for 3 years.

on saying that i would give him the chance to sort it out as i quite like being miserable i can see the attraction that it brings to NSS seeing as he is miserable all the time
  • Options
    Brilliant, so come December when we're struggling near the bottom of league One Pardky will still have a job?

What will it take for him to go? Probably his contract running out next season...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Isn't that pretty much what was said that the AGM just without all the spin.

Parky Staying - said at AGM he has an 18 month contract

Restructuring - said at AGM that cuts would have to be made as parachute money runs out

Mood in the club now "grim" - Well, you could have knocked my down with a feather.

Sorry, can't take Nick Gray seriously.
  • Options
    I didn't think the fans forum's job was to ask about footballing side of the club and was about fan issues (not footballing ones) or am I wrong about that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]I didn't think the fans forum's job was to ask about footballing side of the club and was about fan issues (not footballing ones) or am I wrong about that.

A poorly performing team is a fans' issue and the Board would be somewhat naieve to think that it isn't; if only for the fact that a lack of communication on the subject will only serve to increase the likelihood of much lower gates sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Isn't that pretty much what was said that the AGM just without all the spin.

Mood in the club now "grim" - Well, you could have knocked my down with a feather.

Sort of, but thats got a spin to it. Parky hasn't changed his contract terms since stepping up as manager so he hasn't signed anything new and his existing contract runs out in 18 months. Different way of putting it that doesn't make it sound like hes signed a new 18 month one to keep him here as manager.
  • Options
    2 year plan for pardky
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Isn't that pretty much what was said that the AGM just without all the spin.

Sort of, but thats got a spin to it. Parky hasn't changed his contract terms since stepping up as manager so he hasn't signed anything new and his existing contract runs out in 18 months. Different way of putting it that doesn't make it sound like hes signed a new 18 month one to keep him here as manager.

Quite so Suzi, that's what I meant to say but didn't put very well.
  • Options
    You miss my point. I am not a fan of Nick, I do not think the message is anything other than I or we suspected, but it is the deliberate attempt to stir up hostilites that concern me. We need fans to stay on-side right now and agit prop is less than helpful. I just think that the board needs to make a clear statement to end all this constant sniping and allow us all a chance to focus and concentrate on re-building.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]You miss my point. I am not a fan of Nick, I do not think the message is anything other than I or we suspected, but it is the deliberate attempt to stir up hostilites that concern me. We need fans to stay on-side right now and agit prop is less than helpful. I just think that the board needs to make a clear statement to end all this constant sniping and allow us all a chance to focus and concentrate on re-building.

Exactly!

What we're not doing is everybody pulling together as a unit.

We are a club, aren't we....?

And it was this ALL pulling together that got us out of the hell-hole of Selhurst and back to The Valley.
    And inspired our rise to the Prem.

We need to do it again!
  • Options
    1 to 4 you can get with SKYBET and CORAL for us to go down... tell the board to lump on, it's a hedge for them!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]1 to 4 you can get with SKYBET and CORAL for us to go down... tell the board to lump on, it's a hedge for them!!

Your mate Curbs didn't agree yesterday ......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]So what is my 1st impression we as fans have not done enough yet! to underline our feelings of the whole shambles taht has been cafc for 3 years.
    I think this is true. If anyone on the board is seriously considering continuing with Parkinson then they would benefit from some guidance and opinion. At the end of the day it's their money that is being wasted if we fail to get promoted,or worse, which I think is entirely possible. Sometimes, as good fans, you need to trust your board and get behind the club no matter what and sometimes, you need to raise your voice and protest about things that they are getting wrong.

The thought of Parky with a summer transfer window to hammer the last few nails into our coffin, fills me with dread.
  • Options
    It all sounds like dead men walking
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]1 to 4 you can get with SKYBET and CORAL for us to go down... tell the board to lump on, it's a hedge for them!!

Your mate Curbs didn't agree yesterday ......

yeah a small chance but no one in their right mind would back us to stay up and we all know he is being polite!!
  • Options
    if the overall plan is to keep parky come what may and let him assemble a squad in the summer to cope with whatever scenario exists, this should have been stated at the AGM, I wasn't there so forgive me if it was.
  • Options
    as I have said before if Parky is gonna be here next season then, for the first time in over 25 years, I will seriously consider renewing my season ticket. The thought of beginning a new season with him in charge fills me with dread. Plus he'd go into that season with the fans having no optimism and not being behind him. We need a) a new broom to sweep clean and b) someone we can rally behind, someone who can give us hope.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]as I have said before if Parky is gonna be here next season then, for the first time in over 25 years, I will seriously consider renewing my season ticket. The thought of beginning a new season with him in charge fills me with dread. Plus he'd go into that season with the fans having no optimism and not being behind him. We need a) a new broom to sweep clean and b) someone we can rally behind, someone who can give us hope.

This seems to be a view that is very widely held across the various blogs and boards. Is it truly representative do you think? My point here is that if fans genuinely choose not to renew purely because Parky is at the helm, then the board need to know this as it will severely affect their financial position. Is there any way that fans at the match can be polled?
  • Options
    Sorry:
    Who's Nick Gray ?
    Does he work for the club ?
    A journalist ?
    Or a s*it-stirrer ?
  • Options
    I must say if it is true then it doesn't surprise me but i am still disgusted by it. I echo the words of LargeAddick, with him in charge what hope do we have?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]Sorry:
    Who's Nick Gray ?
    Does he work for the club ?
    A journalist ?
    Or a s*it-stirrer ?

one of the loons that posts on the fansviews bit of the OS
  • Options
    most ST holders will not renew because there will be no clamour for tickets in any part of the ground and no free ticket incentive.