Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So who IS up to the job ?

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
And more importantly, would be realistically interested ?

Bear in mind 4 points.

1. Many of those who may have been tempted in November will no longer be interested
2. It will be based on a League 1 salary, with little spending power
3. Most agreed that a man that got a team promoted out of this division, and on to an FA Cup final, was not up to it
4. Most agree that a man that got a team promoted from League 1 on a small budget, and helped form many important members of Hull's current squad, isn't up to it.

So who is there then, that would meet the wage category in (2), and have better credentials than (3) and (4), would be interested, be able to stop the slide, and next season start to turn the ship around ?

Comments

• Options
    Jimmy Seed did it.
  • Options
    Now I am depressed AFKA ;0(
  • Options
    Martin Allen. Wanted him to takeover when Curbs left and wrote to the board telling them so. He's not setting the world on fire at Cheltenham at the moment but his record before that is impeccable:

Barnet - Built side from scratch in the Conference and left them near the top of the table to take over at Brentford
    Brentford - Took over, saved them from relegation and then got them to Play-offs in two consecutive seasons
    MK Dons - Manager for one season, made the Play-offs
    Leicester - only got 4 games due to loony chairman Mandaric interfering with team affairs. Believe 4-1 victory over Watford was his last game. We all know what happened to Leicester after he left.

Think he applied for it after Curbs left and also after Pardew left. Bradlee Allen was quoted in the paper at the time after Pardew was sacked as saying he expected Martin to apply. Get him in!
  • Options
    Cmon guys, serious question.

We change manager anytime between tomorrow and the beginning of Summer.

Who is there who will stop us falling further in League 1, and turn us around.

In November i wanted either Curbs on a short-deal, Simon Grayson or Gary Johnson. Now i'm looking at Jim Gannon.
  • Options
    Di Matteo or John Collins for me. Martin Allen would be acceptable. Ince, but I kind of think there might be better clubs than us interested in him.
  • Options
    we either go for an old school out of work manager, like what joe kinner has brought to the magpies, so someone in there 50's or 60's either that or we go for a completly untested recently reitred ex pro ala Ince.. Chris Powell or someone like that would be ideal.
  • Options
    Ince has worked with much less than we could currently offer - Macclesfield, MK Dons (when he took over).

Wouldn't rule him out completely.

Just to add even more depression, I really think AFKA should have added a further caveat - new man must currently be out of work. We aren't going to pay anyone compensation.

I'd like to see Steve Cotterill given a go. Before slating me, please think about the pond upon which we are currently casting our hook.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Di Matteo or John Collins for me. Martin Allen would be acceptable. Ince, but I kind of think there might be better clubs than us interested in him.

We've got no hope of Di Matteo as he just signed a new contract. Realistically we'd be looking at managers out of work as we wouldn't pay any compensation.
    I don't think Ince would be impossible. Out of work, and was more than willing to work at a lower level before, plus he knows no top club is going to touch him at the moment, so he needs to prove himself again.
    Who else is out of work?
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Would still like Di Canio.

Realistically though, I don't believe its all about the manager.

More important for me was getting 3 decent players in during the transfer window and them gelling into the side, although of course the Manager did influence this, but its done now.

Coupled with that we need a consistent team selection (which should include a goal scorer) and less bad luck with injuries.

The main factors Parky has influence on are selection and transfers, I wouldn't say he was scoring too well on the latter, and perhaps 5/10 on the former.

not looking good really.
  • Options
    The guy at Southend, Tilson, has done a sound job there.

Nicky Bailey would give him a decent reference .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Before slating me, please think about the pond upon which we are currently casting our hook.

Fair point. FOur months ago i would have laughed at the suggestion of Ian Holloway. Now, the more i consider it, the more i think he fits criteria. A slightly eccentric character, who has done more good jobs than bad ones, and who gets players playing for him.
  • Options
    Here lies the problem, not only are we adrift at the bottom, we are going to find it hard to attract the right sort of people to the club, it has been a total cock up, someone with a winning mentality should have come in when Pardew went, kicked a few backsides and got us going, instead they went for the cheap option, hoped for the best, and it has back fired, the fall out from this in time is going to alot than we can imagian.

Due to the current climate, fans will look at renewing their season tickets.

We are no longer an attractive club to a potential buyer.

Matchday sales will be reduced

Hospitallity suites and packages will be very hard to sell to companies

Players will still be on championship money.

We will have the expenditure more games per season (ie entering the earlier stages of the FA Cup as well as the Johnstones Paint Trophy)

Rather than taking IMO was not a huge risk by bringing the right man in at the right time, we could end up just hanging around in Division one for the next two/ three years
  • Options
    Tilson + compensation = not our manager next year.
  • Options
    Fair point about the compensation one as well.
  • Options
    The dream team joint management duo of Kinsella and Powell.
    Chapple, Mortimer and Stevie Brown as coaches and get Mendonca in part time to coach the strikers
  • Options
    Floyd and Harvey as joint player managers.
    Could there be a player manager available?
  • Options
    seeing as we can't afford ANY compensation so it'll have to be an out-of-workie :

Cotterill
    Ince
    DiCanio

err, that's about as far as I've got. I'd want someone who appreciates where we have come from and what we are about BUT I do think we need a clean sweep right through the Club and as such I don't think Kins or Poweely would be a good idea.
  • Options
    Tilson for me. Though I did think about Parky when we were looking to replace Curbs!!!!!
  • Options
    Paul Jewell?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rodex[/cite]Floyd and Harvey as joint player managers.
    Could there be a player manager available?

Flanagan and Allen.

And no, not Mike Flanagan and Martin Allen. ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll stick my neck and say...

Phil Parkinson
  • Options
    CommentAuthorWSS CommentTime45 seconds ago quote# 20
    Paul Jewell?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........................

No chance, he's too busy with his home movie collection.
  • Options
    Paul Ince would be a good shout, if he is out of work in 4 months time then go in for him, the appointment has to be one that takes us forward over the next four or five seasons, not just takes us up to the Championship and fight to stay up again
  • Options
    all i know is that i don't envy the board making this decision.

martin allen seems a decent bet, but i can't think of anyone realistic i would be hugely confident in. (another reason it'll be parky).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Paul Jewell?

that's not a bad shout, particularly after a break.

Those that say Di Canio are unrealistic. Unlike Di Matteo at MKD, we need someone who really knows players in this country, particularly at lower level and at prem youth level, as there is going to have to be a major rebuilding job done here, not a case of a good coach / character taking an existing squad to an improved level.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Likleyhood #1 Wherever Charlton finish this season, Pardky will be with us till the end.
    Likelyhood #2 Without new investment. Pardky will start next season as manager.

Wild-card: Should the board sack him at season's end, without investment coming in. A new manager will be appointed from within. Step-up Mr Kinsella.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Paul Jewell?

plenty of munters in bexleyheath for him to shag on his motor so could be on the list.. ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]Step-up Mr Kinsella.
    Sorry - as much as a legend he is, it's Parky mark 2, Pardew mark 3. Reserves bottom of the league.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Why are we discussing this?

Parky will be here for the next 18 months for which he is contracted, even if we end up down the bottom of div one (three).

The only things that could change that harsh reality are :

a) somebody else offers him a job and pays us compensation to get him off our hands (and we could waive the compensation, frankly, just so long as they took him)

b) new investment in the club , because the sad truth is that I cannot see our current board being prepared to pay off yet another manager, even if he doesn't win a game between now and next Xmas.

That said, were it on the cards I'd go for almost any of the names above that are not associated with the last two years of catastrophic decline and bad decision-making : even people I would have totally rejected just a few months ago, like Allen and Holloway. Not to put too fine a point on it, we need someone to clean out the stables who isn''t already stinking of s**t.

It an't going to happen so, however reluctantly, we have to rally behind Parky the best we can ,and hope he can at least get ten points from the next five games so that he doesn't have the embarrassment of a worse record than the one for which Pardew got sacked. (Pardew got 16ts from 18 games, Parky has 6pts from 13, I believe).
  • Options
    I don't think Parky has the ego of Pardy and could well Walky.