Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Would Relegation Be the Best Thing?

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
Lets face it, we have a squad that is not good enough for this division. I'm struggling to think of a single player with the necessary skills/bottle combination to be a Tier 2 player. We have some players that have one of those attributes, several who blow hot and cold having them one day but not the next and several more with seemingly neither of them. But who can we honestly say possesses both?

Even if we were to produce a miracle and scrape by this term, what would that leave us with? It's not feasible to scrap an entire squad and start from scratch. Even with cash in the bank that's a no-no; in our predicament it just can't be done. But with the squad we have, that seems to be just what we need. So, if by chance we could stay up, we'd just be in for more of the same punishment next year. It might just be the best thing to accept our fate, go down gracefully and be a bigger fish in a smaller pond. At least at a lower level some of our players might have the necessary skill level, and the confidence-boys might perform better if we could get a few easy wins.

Not the most positive post in the world, I know, but perhaps relegation could be for the best. Then again I remember thinking that two years ago!

Comments

• Options
    no i heard all that when we left the premiership and i'd rather be getting turned over by the mighty bristol city than the likes of hartlepool
  • Options
    yet why then whenever you hear a so called expert on the telly or radio, they say if you go down Charlton's squad there are good players there that are underperforming ?

You win nothing on paper as we have seen, but why the constant downward spiral ?

Is it a case of once a club is on a downward move, its more difficult than you realise to halt it ? You can't pinpoint it at one specific person, because Dowie, Reed, Pardew and Parkinson & Kinsella are all having the same issues.
  • Options
    Your last few words is what worries me.

We could well be in freefall.
  • Options
    We need someone fresh who hasn't worked for the club ever!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    i also believe a better manager would have these players at least 2nd bottom
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]We need someone fresh who hasn't worked for the club ever![/quote]

Like Dowie?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Graham R.[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]We need someone fresh who hasn't worked for the club ever!

Like Dowie?
    Think higher up than the team manager is where the changes need to be made, and that is not a slant on what the current people have done or are doing.
  • Options
    I have always been of the opinion that it will not be the end of the world, nobody will die.

Of course, there are people who will suffer on a more personal level, staff at the club, due to no doubt pending redundancies, and thats not a good thing obviously.
    However, as a club, we can regroup, re-evaluate (sic) and start with a big broom at most levels.

There will still be a Charlton Athletic, just playing at a different level, bigger clubs have survived, Leeds currently, Man City a few seasons back and Wolves about 10-15 years ago went right down the swanny, and similar sized clubs are bouncing back (Leicester).
  • Options
    Great post.
  • Options
    If (when) we go down, can you really see us doing what Leicester are doing now ?, I'd love to think so but I just can't....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    spot on E 110% agree with you

My thoughts are with the staff behind the scenes who work hard everyday, who will lose there job
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]I have always been of the opinion that it will not be the end of the world, nobody will die.

Of course, there are people who will suffer on a more personal level, staff at the club, due to no doubt pending redundancies, and thats not a good thing obviously.
    However, as a club, we can regroup, re-evaluate (sic) and start with a big broom at most levels.

There will still be a Charlton Athletic, just playing at a different level, bigger clubs have survived, Leeds currently, Man City a few seasons back and Wolves about 10-15 years ago went right down the swanny, and similar sized clubs are bouncing back (Leicester).[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts, if we are not good enough we are not good enough.
    I'm not in the Parkinson out group as i think a lot of the players he has brought in make sense and make us better equiped for this division physically. Unfortunately for him the rot has set and you cant change the whole squad.
    They are my Charlton my only Charlton and i dont care where i watch them as long as its them. We will see
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]We need someone fresh who hasn't worked for the club ever!

Darren Ambrose it is then ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]

I was thinking Christensen????
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]

Lol, spot on DA9, he has NEVER worked for the club
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]

how about andrew mills did he ever work for us???
  • Options
    To be honest, it would because it is the only thing on planet earth that will convince the board to remove the current manager. I honestly believe that had any other manager in the division been employed to work with the same set of players, at Xmas, we'd have stayed up. The effects of a good half time team talk from a competent boss are illustrated by events at Burnley and Bristol.
  • Options
    The only way the current club decline will be arrested is when we get some kind of outside investment, until that time we will continue to fall from grace. A couple of bad results early next season, coupled with being a lot of other teams cup finals at the valley next season will see another season of underachievement for a club of our stature.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]The only way the current club decline will be arrested is when we get some kind of outside investment, until that time we will continue to fall from grace. A couple of bad results early next season, coupled with being a lot of other teams cup finals at the valley next season will see another season of underachievement for a club of our stature.

think of the new grounds though and a chance to win a few more games it's not all bad;-(
  • Options
    It's always much easier to guarantee instant promotion, straight after a relegation season.

Isn't it ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In short - of course relegation wouldnt be the best thing.
  • Options
    just a sweetener to make the bitter pill taste better.

If we goto tier three we are in a great deal more cack than we already are..
  • Options
    Am I alone in feeling nothing but a numbness this morning? Very, very quiet on here.

The most depressing thing I've read in a long time is Ketman's sentence : ''The only way the current club decline will be arrested is when we get some kind of outside investment, until that time we will continue to fall from grace''.

In our hearts we all know that is true, I suspect. Our current board may keep us out of administration - although their estimated operating loss next year of 1.5 m was based on staying up, I think. If I read the reports from the AGM correctly, next year's loss in div one is estimated at 4.5m pounds.

Can they sustain that? I don't know. But this board has clearly decided - let's put this diplomatically - that they have ''taken Charlton as far as they can''.

As Ketman says, under the current ownership we will continue to spiral downwards and unless new investment comes in, it's hard to be very optimistic that we will bounce back any time soon.

Thank heavens the cricket season will be upon us in two months time!
  • Options
    Thing is Nigel, I think a lot of the debt is to the directors, so I don't beleive they will ever opt for administration. I'm not convinced we need massive investment though it would help. Just better buying and better coaching. Many of our players are more than good enough for this league. As a unit, though, we are not.
  • Options
    Who gives a toss if we're relegated. I don't. There are more important issues. The role of Charlton Athletic in my life has been greatly re-assessed over the last few weeks following the death of a close friend from meningitis. He woke up on Sunday 4th January thinking he had the start of a cold. By the end of the day he was in a coma and on Thursday 8th January they switched off his life support system. I wasn't going to renew my season ticket next year, in any case but this has just re-enforced my view on life. If my family want to do something and it clashes with Charlton, then so be it. Family come first from now on. You just don't know what's waiting for you around the corner.
  • Options
    Relegation will cripple us financially and as a team we will be a smaller club again...
  • Options
    Either way we could struggle.

Stay up and we'll be like Southampton, playing a lot of the youngsters.

Go down and if we get it wrong we'll carry on the decline and end up like Bradford, dropping into League Two.

As said people were saying the same thing two years ago, hard to see us doing what Leicester have at the moment. Difference is this time, we won't waste money on gambles. The little money we have will be spent on players for the first team.
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Many of our players are more than good enough for this league. As a unit, though, we are not.

We'll see this next season when a lot of them are playing well for other clubs. People moan about Hudson and Fortune, but they're no worse than players like McCarthy, who's having a good season with Palace.
  • Options
    Hasn't exactly worked out for Leeds has it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]Who gives a toss if we're relegated. I don't. There are more important issues. The role of Charlton Athletic in my life has been greatly re-assessed over the last few weeks following the death of a close friend from meningitis. He woke up on Sunday 4th January thinking he had the start of a cold. By the end of the day he was in a coma and on Thursday 8th January they switched off his life support system. I wasn't going to renew my season ticket next year, in any case but this has just re-enforced my view on life. If my family want to do something and it clashes with Charlton, then so be it. Family come first from now on. You just don't know what's waiting for you around the corner.

Sorry to hear that VMc, but I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Hasn't exactly worked out for Leeds has it?
    For every Leeds there is a Man City, for every Man City there is a Bradford, for every Bradford there is a QPR, for every QPR there is Swindon and so on.

Depends what straw we draw!