Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

From what we've just heard...

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
Ok we weren't there and we were relying on someone else's eyes.

And those eyes belonged to the Radio London commentator who was frankly far more abusive about our lack of effort in the second half than anyone I've ever read on Charlton Life.

What on earth was going on out there? Sam and Ambrose made it absolutely plain they couldn't give a fig, according to the commentator.

Moo2, who was by all acounts absolutely atrocious, was having a barney on the pitch with Parky at the end....

The sound of some serious plot-losing going on from what one could pick up on the radio.

That second half commentary should be played to the team twice a day from now until Sat. I've never heard anything like it! If we'd said on this forum some of the things the impartial radio commentator said, AFKA would have intervened and told us to cool it!

Parky was obviously so frustrated. Having berated the ref for adding six mins on Sat, he ended tonight's game berating the ref for not adding more time onto the five additional mins when the ball didn't come back quick enough for a Charlton throw, with seconds to go. The actions of a desperate man, I fear.

The simple truth of this season is :

Pardew 18 matches 16 pts

Parky 13 matches 6 pts

Remaining 14 matches we need what - 28 pts?

Cue Roy Orbison...

Comments

• Options
    legendary commentating....' ambrose needs a rocket up his arse'
  • Options
    he was shouting 'Get back there son" when moo2 gave the ball away and couldn't bother to run back and tackle.....anyone know the guy's name.....brilliant
  • Options
    Pardew 18 matches 16 pts

Parky 13 matches 6 pts

that is so scary... just when you think/hope/dream/believe it can't get any worse...................
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ct_addick[/cite]he was shouting 'Get back there son" when moo2 gave the ball away and couldn't bother to run back and tackle.....anyone know the guy's name.....brilliant
    phil parry i think
  • Options
    What else can Parkinson do though? If he is not bollocking players/officials he doesn't care and if he does he's losing it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]What else can Parkinson do though?

Resign?
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    No, Carter, there's nothing Parky or anyone else can do.

It needs a root and branch clear out and start again from scratch in div one.

Presumably Ambrose and Sam were making clear their displeasure at not starting. And the Moo2 thing sounded just unbelievable.

For an impartial and respected commetator to lay into our players as a ''disgrace'' and ''not fit to wear the shirt'' is a shocking thing for any Charlton fan to have to hear.

If even half of what Phil Parry and Clive Walker said on the radio is true, It would appear that several of the players have no respect for their manager. Whether you supported his appointment or not, the one thing Parky has to do is to come down on that sort of insubordnation like a ton of bricks.
  • Options
    Problem is that Parky was there when the seeds of discontent were sown with Pardew. What it needed was a complete clear out which the board fooked up....don't want to harp on but the Davies appointment at Forest is looking like a good one and we should have made a similar one....I would mortgage the house and give Curbs the reigns to steady the ship....however he is probably going to be the next Pompey manager.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]No, Carter, there's nothing Parky or anyone else can do.

It needs a root and branch clear out and start again from scratch in div one.

Presumably Ambrose and Sam were making clear their displeasure at not starting. And the Moo2 thing sounded just unbelievable.

For an impartial and respected commetator to lay into our players as a ''disgrace'' and ''not fit to wear the shirt'' is a shocking thing for any Charlton fan to have to hear.

If even half of what Phil Parry and Clive Walker said on the radio is true, It would appear that several of the players have no respect for their manager. Whether you supported his appointment or not, Parky has to come down on that sort of insubordnation like a ton of bricks.

Totally agree he has to slam down on them doing that but I really feel for the poor sod. I can see the plight were in he feels (possibly rightly) responsible for and knows what we feel like as fans, However he is in a pretty impossible position in that the players are now so low on confidence and respect for the bloke that nothing he now says or does will change their mindsets which in all honesty is a fucking disgrace and I personally would beat them out of their wages which us as fans and the board also as fans cough up for.

No matter what you think of your boss you do as they tell you. If so many of you are sympathetic towards ambitious players such as Parker, Murph (read greedy mone grabbing, good for nothing tosspots) leaving beacuse 'thats what I'd do if another company offered to double my wages' then that mentality has to work the other way too. In the sense that if you under perform you can expect a steel toecapped size twelve working it's way at speed toward your arse.

Footballers need to rapidly come into the real world and our bunch of heroes are no exception. Sam, Ambrose and Moutuoakil should be fined the maximum and made to apologise along with the others who felt themselves above putting in a shift and earning their disgustingly over inflated salaries.

Good night
  • Options
    Root & branch clear out?! I'm struggling to remember the names of our current squad! I'm pretty much reconciled to where we're going & think the test for the club is now how we ensure that we bounce back. It's been a sh*t season but, like any addict, we should know that without things being done right, new lows are a possibility?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ambrose and Sam didn't start??? He has truly lost the plot.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]

Cue Roy Orbison...

Ok, here goes:

Pretty woman, walkin' down the street
    Pretty woman the kind I like to meet
    Pretty woman I don't believe you, you're not the truth
    No one could look as good as you---mercy

Pretty woman won't you pardon me
    Pretty woman I couldn't help but see
    Pretty woman that you look lovely as can be
    Are you lonely just like me---<grrowwlll!!>

Pretty woman stop awhile
    Pretty woman talk awhile
    Pretty woman give your smile to me
    Pretty woman yeah, yeah, yeah
    Pretty woman look my way
    Pretty woman say you'll stay with me-ee
    Cuz I need you, I'll treat you right
    Come with me baby, be mine toni-i-ght

Pretty woman don't walk on by
    Pretty woman don't make me cry
    Pretty woman don't walk away, hey----OK
    If that's the way it must be---OK
    I guess I'll go on home, it's late
    There'll be tomorrow night, but wait
    What do I see? <drums>
    Is she walkin' back to me?
    Yeah, she's walkin' back to me
    Oh, oh, pretty woman.

Can't see how that helps?
  • Options
    It helps, Chirpy, because you just made me laugh!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]It helps, Chirpy, because you just made me laugh!

It's what I'm here for....
  • Options
    The problem is, as has been for the last couple of seasons, we have loads of options especially in midfield and they keep shuffling the pack trying to come up with the right combination of players and failing. I really believe that the problem has not been the poor strikers, it's that they have got such scant quality opportunities carved out for them from midfield, despite having lots of midfielders.

We have had more through the doors than the average employment agency. What we need is some COACHING coupled with a GAME PLAN, which the players understand week in week out. This seasons gone now, sure we can still survive but I don't recognise any real sign that the miraculous change of form is going to happen any time soon.

So clear out maybe, but we need a first team and a reserve team which is potentially interchangeable. We have two centre backs injured and we look at the reserves and........no one. We need a manager/coach who can work on the basics of passing a moving. In short we need somebody who can do a similar job to the Swansea manager who clearly has a belief in he skillful side of football where the ball is moved around rather than lumped forward.
  • Options
    I think we may be getting a bit carried away by what one commentator said tonight and I'm not sure that Clive Walker agreed with all he said. It didn't sound great from Sam, Ambrose and Moo2 but they came on with about ten minutes to go in a game we had already lost so i'm not sure how much we could expect them to influence the game. I'd be more concerned that Parky at first attempted to play our goal scoring midfielder at RB before bringing on a genuiane RB.
  • Options
    Strikers can't strike and defenders who can't defend, and the blame is with the midfielders !

I'm sure there is a method in your madness Bing, but i can't see it i'm afraid. And saying they need coaching is a bit naive.
  • Options
    Re Large's point, it's not great management to bring on Ambrose at right back before Moutakil is it? How to confirm that you have no belief in someone.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Strikers can't strike and defenders who can't defend, and the blame is with the midfielders !

I'm sure there is a method in your madness Bing, but i can't see it i'm afraid. And saying they need coaching is a bit naive.

Completely agree AFKA, Admit midfield needs to supply the ball but defenders need to defend and strikers strike - Force em to get to know eachother with some speed dating...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Strikers can't strike and defenders who can't defend, and the blame is with the midfielders !

Yes maybe if your talking about this game. After all we haven't got two centre backs fit at the moment. We keep shuffling the striking pack hoping that one of our strikers can score, but we just don't create enough and thats a midfield problem. As for coaching don't get me started.

Gary Johnson - Great manager and coach
    Martinez - manager/coaches the "Arsenal" of The Championship
    Coyle - working wonders at Burnley

to name but a few

I didn't go tonight (got the flu) maybe thats affected my brain but in recent games I have seen us defend far too deeply, with midfielders standing on the toes of the defenders and the team encouraged to hoof the ball forward to one or two detached strikers and setting the tactics which stifles football. Players have been given a siege mentality rather than operating to the universal truth that when you have the ball, and keep it they can't hurt you. This is a failure of coaching in its widest sense. It's not just Parky, because we did the same under Pardew. Against Donny earlier this season and Forest away, I saw us set up in such a way as to cede 70% of the territory and 70% of the possession to the opposition. Yes we won the first and drew the second but other than a battling spirit, nothing else could be said for the performances against two sides at the bottom of the division.

I really would like to see some positives. The win against Palarse was great but all the things that mark as out as failures in footballing terms were shown up in that game other than a battling quality. It's madness to think that we can go through games with just that about us. We need to win the football battles not just the physical ones and thats about playing the right way, with the right tactics. That comes from the Manager who sets the coaching requirements, which are manifestly failing at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]legendary commentating....' ambrose needs a rocket up his arse'

Waste of a good rocket, that would be. Ambrose will never amount to anything.

By all means strap him to the rocket and point it the direction of somewhere a long long way from SE7.
  • Options
    Ambrose would love a rocket up his arse.Perhaps that's the problem.
  • Options
    Bingo,

we have not had a striker score a goal in the league since December 15
    we have not conceded less than 2 goals in a league game since December 20

In that time, every single one of our goals have been scored by a midfielder. Sam and Bailey's form picked up the last month, Spring and Soares have come in and certainly haven't looked weak links.

There are things wrong throughout our side, whatever the 11, but the midfield area would be the one aspect of the team i would highlight the least.

As for the coaching thing, there is absolutely zero time for improvement coaching now. Its two games a week near enough all the way. You play, you rest, you prepare, you play. You think if Martinez come in tomorrow, then in two weeks time Sam and Ambrose are knocking it around like Brazil 70 ?

In my mind the key aspect that are wrong away from the defending and attacking is one of a fitness issue, and one of a mentality issue.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Bing wrote: "We need to win the football battles not just the physical ones and thats about playing the right way, with the right tactics.''

I like a lot of what you say, Bing. Kind of backed up by something Clive Walker said about us in the second half, and which I scribbled down (one of the advantages of coming from a long gone era when every journalist had to learn short-hand!) :

"Physically they're working very hard, mentally they're not playing the game you thought they would do".

on edit: just read what AFKA said above, and Walker's comment also backs him up on the mentality point. So perhaps you are not as far apart as all that...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Bingo,

we have not conceded less than 2 goals in a league game since December 20

Err Palace?

I see your point though AFKA, but I kind of agree with Bing too. The midfield often do not do the right things to help out the attack and the defence.

Too often the strikers are getting chances because the opposition make a mistake and too often the first line of defence is the last line of defence becuse we keep giving the ball straight back to the opposition (fullbacks take a massive slice of blame too for generally being crap at snuffing out crosses at source). None of us know for sure what Parky is telling the team to do and what they are doing off their own back either out of a lack of belief/composure/ability/or perahaps even lack of respect for the managment team, but there is not 'unit' within our side that is even close to doing it's job properly at the moment as a whole, even if a few individuals are doing okay within those units.
  • Options
    I'm all for blaming the players if they're not performing,which to a lot of extent they are not.But their mind-set is the most worrying aspect of it all.
    A stat that was brought up tonight ,is that we've thrown away 20 odd points from winning positions which is a farce!
    And that,i'm afraid, can only be laid at the door of the management team.They've turned a once confident side into one that is scared of it's own shadow.They've sent out the message to ALL opposing sides that if they score against us they'll most definitely go on and win the game.
    NOT FLAMING GOOD ENOUGH!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Ambrose would love a rocket up his arse.Perhaps that's the problem.

Are you suggesting Carly that being an alleged homosexual is explanation for being totally gutless on a football pitch? Cos if you are I find that pretty offensive.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Blimey, Carly. You're starting to sound like a Radio London commentator !!!

(Not the bit quoted by Exiled, which I agree is downright offensive, but your other rant...)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Bing wrote: "We need to win the football battles not just the physical ones and thats about playing the right way, with the right tactics.''

I like a lot of what you say, Bing. Kind of backed up by something Clive Walker said about us in the second half, and which I scribbled down (one of the advantages of coming from a long gone era when every journalist had to learn short-hand!) :

"Physically they're working very hard, mentally they're not playing the game you thought they would do".

on edit: just read what AFKA said above, and Walker's comment also backs him up on the mentality point. So perhaps you are not as far apart as all that...

Look its the old " if I wanted to get to Dublin, I wouldn't start from here" issue again. I agree with a lot of what AFKA says in so far as it provides a factual explanation. Strikers not scoring = problem with Strikers. Defenders failing to mark properly = poor defence. That's all true, wouldn't argue with that. What you have to ask is why? One can take the view that they are all useless or go for a different explanation.

My take is that we are not creative enough, we don't produce enough quality opportunities so that the strikers hit the back of the net. Like most strikers they live on confidence and that has gone.

My take on the defensive frailties, save the last two games where clearly we had a makeshift defence is that we are not creating enough goals to win games so that puts more pressure on the defence. Our midfield is pinned back in our half in front of a too deeply lying defence, that adds to the pressure.

What underlies all of this is a failure of management and the manager has the job of setting the coaching i.e skills, fitness motivation and tactics and thus it's all a failure of coaching.AFKA I take your point about fitness and motivation but that rather makes my coaching point.

AFKA, I understand the Martinez point but are you saying then that were Arsene Wenger magically available he would not be able to organise these players better, improve the tactics and coach them more effectively? I think a change of mentality and a fresh approach to how we are going to set the team out to actually win games playing football can be done almost overnight. I just say again, when we've got the ball, they cannot physically score against us.

One can take the view, I'm not saying you do, that it's all about useless underperforming players. I just don't accept that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HandG[/cite]Re Large's point, it's not great management to bring on Ambrose at right back before Moutakil is it? How to confirm that you have no belief in someone.

He brought in Ambrose and moved Soares ( our goalscorer on the night !!!!) to right back who lasted about 5 mins and then brought on the hapless Moo2....brilliant tactician Parky !!!!