Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wearing The Shirt With Pride

SE7SE7
edited February 2009 in General Charlton
Kind of random this, but I was wodering how many in the team actually wear the shirt with any sort of pride, I can really only think of 3,

Rob Elliot, Jonjo and Matty H, wat r u thoughts on this?

Comments

• I think Grant Basey still shows a bt of passion for the shirt. Just doesn't get much chance to show it at the moment.
  • Nicky Bailey.
  • You beat me to it.
  • Funny this, given my views on short term loans, but Murty.
  • Darrel (not in the team but wheres the shirt with pride)
  • Dicko.
  • I dont agree with Holland. I dont think he has much feeling for charlton at all. He's a professional and wants to do well... but for charlton in particular... I dont think so.
  • I'd say most of the youngsters as long as they do appreciate the chance this club has given them and are not arrogant like most footballers it seems now a days.

Also Fortune and Racon to some extent.
  • Depends what you mean by wear the shirt with pride. Players that always put the effort in, or the ones that will truly care if we get relegated to League One and are sold/released to cut the wage bill.
  • Sponsored links:

• Blackheath - Holland has put in so much effort, always appreciated the away support ,played for the club for so long, and received player of the year IMO he wears the shirt with pride.
  • I may be wrong but I think he cares for the club because he has realised no other clubs seem to want him and he has some status at the club as he is now our longest serving player so it pays for him to show he cares from time to time which he dose by the punch to the crowd of a rallying call in an article in the program and papers.
  • OK. But I've also sat next 2 seats down from him when he was injured at a game and we came from behind to win. Each time we scored he sat there and didnt look like he cared. I see what he does on the pitch but I still think deep down he wouldnt care if it was us or someone else. That for me doesnt demonstrate any pride in wearing our shirt.
  • I suppose I'm grasping at straws trying to hope more of them take pride in the club then actually do.
  • Moo2 ..... loves to play and goes to the fans at the end of the game.

Maybe Dicko too, these boys just want their chance.
  • Most of them.

Despite what people think, its rare to find a 'professional' that doesn't care. They have made it to the top of their industry, the ones that do that are not just the ones who are most talented, but the ones prepared to work the most. With that comes professional pride and the right work ethic. Every shirt they put on they normally put on with pride, except its their own professional pride, and desire to want the team they are in succeed.

You cannot expect them to have the same pride expectations that supporters have, because to us its a dream fantasy, which to them is an everyday reality.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Fortune?

Definitely Fortune. Played with a broken toe without painkillers in the Prem for a few games and just last week tried to run off a ruptured achilles!

He puts it in alright he just looks languid in style which means some people think he doesn't.
  • Jonjo when given the chance.
  • [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]I dont agree with Holland. I dont think he has much feeling for charlton at all. He's a professional and wants to do well... but for charlton in particular... I dont think so.

Think that's spot on. Holland is a true pro but if you cut him open I think you'll find he bleeds Ipswich Blue rather than Charlton Red.

And in a few years time can anyone really say that the would remember Holland in the same way as they remember Kinsella, Robinson or Brownie?
  • [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]OK. But I've also sat next 2 seats down from him when he was injured at a game and we came from behind to win. Each time we scored he sat there and didnt look like he cared. I see what he does on the pitch but I still think deep down he wouldnt care if it was us or someone else. That for me doesnt demonstrate any pride in wearing our shirt.

TBF He was probably pissed off he wasn't out there! When I met him he was top notch, Seemed like he cared to me!
  • Sponsored links:

• Holland = consumate professional, meaning he'd sweat blood and be loyal to the team that pays his wages.

What more could we expect of any player?

That attitude is good enough for me, even if he does "bleed Ipswich blue".
    That's the team where most of his exciting 'glory' years were.

Kinsella, for example, must have a huge regard for Colchester Utd. It's where he learned his trade and even married the Chairman's daughter, wasn't it?

But his glory years were at Charlton, and that's why he appears to 'bleed Charlton Red'
  • edited February 2009
    I agree, Holland is an absolute class act, I don't care if he deep down prefers Ipswich to us.
  • edited February 2009
    There can be no comparison with Holland playing the way he does to who he supports.

Do you know if it's ipswich or West Ham??

Of course he wears the shirt with pride to say he doesnt is stoopid imo

Powelly is a Yido but some have mentioned him as Charlton through and through yet when rommerdahl Sciored there in the LAST MIN (SoS,Budgie,Matt the Pratt) he was not jumping up and down like us , you can not think that Matty doesnt wear the shirt with pride.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Most of them.

Despite what people think, its rare to find a 'professional' that doesn't care. They have made it to the top of their industry, the ones that do that are not just the ones who are most talented, but the ones prepared to work the most. With that comes professional pride and the right work ethic. Every shirt they put on they normally put on with pride, except its their own professional pride, and desire to want the team they are in succeed.

You cannot expect them to have the same pride expectations that supporters have, because to us its a dream fantasy, which to them is an everyday reality.

My view exactly.

They are not, other than Elliot, fans. Neither were Chris Powell or Mark Kinsella but they showed commitment and wanted to win. Maybe that was for themselves, their own pride and careers, their team mates or manager rather than a piece of mass produced nylon but that doesn't really worry me.

I think it is an easy accusation to make towards players when things aren't going well.
  • Surely to get to this level in any sport you have to have a desire to win. Pride in the shirt? Maybe not. But a passion for the game and in which ever team you are playing in? Definately.
  • Pride in a shirt? I think it's an outdated concept and one that exists more in the heads of fans rather than in reality. I do however believe that the overwhelming majority of players want to play well and want to win and that is based on a professional pride. But their aim/boyhood dream seems, from all that I've read, is to play at one of the top clubs. When they realise that they aren't going to get there, they still seem want to play at the highest level possible, to aim for promotion at whatever level and/or to prove their last manager wrong. So I am left wondering exactly what it is that Charlton can offer?
  • Let's bring it down a level:

How many of you play or played Sunday Leagues?
    Most will have played for more than one team.

Does that mean you only wanted to "bleed the colours" of your first club?
    During the game, even at Sunday League level, I'm sure most players give it their best shot, for each of the clubs they've played for.

Professionals generally are no different.
    That's why they're not postman, clerks or train drivers.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    That's why they're not postman, clerks or train drivers.

you tryin to say they don't act professionally?!

Can't believe you'd discriminate like that
  • Nope, just saying in context that professional footballers have the career they have because they wanted it badly enough.
  • personally don't give a fcuk who they are passionate about... do the job for us and i love you
    as i've said b4 in an ideal world they'd all be charlton fans and love playing for us but that isn't gonna happen
    our greatest manager of the modern day era was west ham... les reed was allegedly charlton