Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Hoy is Knighted

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2008
    and finally Chris Hoy.......

I have nothing against the athletes and their achievments, just the reluctance of the Welsh and Scots to accept that they were competing for Great Britain.
  • Options
    lol great posts stoney
  • Options
    just being uppity Stone (even if correct)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    As I said, let the regions do what they want, and if people in Mansfield want to wave Union flags then so be it.

and in Chris Hoy's own words "I'm a Scottish athlete in a British team, and I'm proud to be a British athlete."

That'll do for me.

Well done Sir Chris.
  • Options
    Devil's Advocate here, I seem to remember as a youngster that at most England match's The Union Flag was far more popular than SGC?

What's changed?
  • Options
    Bit of a reclaim of the SGC in 96, and it's stuck ever since.

The English are usually pretty happy to use the Union Flag as the national flag most of the time.
  • Options
    WSS your going down a political road here.

There is no English parliament -- but through develution (sic) there is for the Welsh / Scots and NI. Not only this but is was part of the " Blair plan" to split England up into regional assemblies. If you wave the Union flag its "racist" and being English is uppity.
  • Options
    Waving the Union flag isn't racist, it's got tarred with racism as it was allowed to be hijacked by the far right, as for the uppity thing, why do the English always got so wound up by the Scots?
  • Options
    why do u continue to say "the English get uppity with the Scots" ? the Jocks dont give a shit then its all the English.
  • Options
    wow anyone would think that the country is in a slump and the Govenment are desperatly trying to get a feel good factor going... Bit of a joke if you ask me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've said it once, and I'll ask again, why are people getting so wound up by what the scots (and the welsh) wave at an event?
  • Options
    no the point was that there was no English parade ----- you argued abut that point and was wrong.
  • Options
    CommentAuthorRothko CommentTime15 minutes ago quote# 37

"The English are usually pretty happy to use the Union Flag as the national flag most of the time"

You are so wrong on that one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]CommentAuthorRothko CommentTime15 minutes ago quote# 37

"The English are usually pretty happy to use the Union Flag as the national flag most of the time"

We are, and have been over the last 50 years, even go back to 1990 and see how many Union Flags were in the crowd

Even world cup willy came in a Union Jack shirt

poster.jpg
  • Options
    maybe it's changed since devaultion and 96, but the Union Flag is seen by the English, as a English flag
  • Options
    i say Well Done Sir Chris Hoy but hopefully Chris Powell will get one too one day ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I've said it once, and I'll ask again, why are people getting so wound up by what the scots (and the welsh) wave at an event?

You're too young to understand what's going on...sorry couldn't resist it.LOL!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I've said it once, and I'll ask again, why are people getting so wound up by what the scots (and the welsh) wave at an event?

You're too young to understand what's going on...sorry couldn't resist it.LOL!!!

Mwah! Happy New year!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]CommentAuthorRothko CommentTime15 minutes ago quote# 37

We are, and have been over the last 50 years, even go back to 1990 and see how many Union Flags were in the crowd

Even world cup willy came in a Union Jack shirt

poster.jpg

I see what you saying Rothko, but its all about education, I remember going back some 20 years or so, when England qualified for a euro/world cup finals and we flew a George cross from the house, a passing neighbour asked we wasnt supporting England in the finals! and where was my "union Jack" she was corrected by other neighbour, who was Irish! who also added "its called a Union Flag" my children were brought up to know they are English which is part of the British Isles I believe.
    It drives me mad when you get to the bottom of some document or other and English is the only nationality thats missing, to me thats offensive.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]maybe it's changed since devaultion and 96, but the Union Flag is seen by the English, as a English flag

Rothko. I assume you're Scottish.
    Point one. The Union Flag was widely used by the English at a time when we had a true 'Union' The example of the 1966 world cup final shows this clearly.
    Point two. By the mid-nineties the clamour from the Scots and Welsh for a change in the status of the Union, rose to such a point that T.Blair decided to 'head off Scottish Nationalism' by granting the Scots their own Parliament!!!!
    Predictably this actually led to a rise in Scottish Nationalism. To the point that Scotlands parliament is led by the SNP. Equally predictably the Welsh wanted more. Culminating in Home assemblies for Wales and N.Ireland.
    Point three. Have you spotted the anomaly here? NO! Let me enlighten you. England is governed entirely by the UK Government. That's, MP's from England, Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland. The UK government has transferred 70% of all it's powers to the Scots Gov. and Welsh/NI assemblies. But retains full control over England.
    Point four. I'm delighted with creation of the Scots Parliament and Welsh/NI assemblies and wish them well. But i want the same for England. Is that so bad?
    Point five. What is slightly irritating, is when people like you say 'let the Scots/Welsh celebrate their nationality' (despite the fact they represent GB) But the English are banned from doing so. And when someone like me objects, i get told 'stop whining, what does it matter, why do you have a go at the Scots'
    Point six. You use G.Browns favourite term 'Nations and Regions' Which of course means 'Scotland/Wales/N.Ireland and the regions of England. But hang on chum! I don't want to see England regionalised even if you and Brown do. England is a proud and ancient country, i want it to stay that way, just like Scotland.
    Point seven. If you read the papers you will see England now gets a raw deal in many areas of Government policy. The classic example being the NHS. Look into it sometime and see if you think that what is going on is right and fair.
    Point eight. England has now begun to reject the Union flag in favour of the flag that represents England. The St George Cross. I welcome this wholeheartedly.

Here endeth the lesson. Happy New Year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh well, I'm happily English, and not that bothered by the sweaties or the sheep touchers

HNY