Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Hoy is Knighted

FFS.....talk about over the top. He does a bit of cycling every 4 years!!!!
What should we give someone like Calzaghe...a Sainthood!!!

Comments

• I must admit I can't believe he got one before Calzaghe.

Must be because he's a sweaty and our government is run by sweaties as well. LOL ---

His is a great achievement but an effing knighthood do me a favour.
  • Honours system is pathetic anyway imho.
  • What about Brucie ???????
  • [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]What about Brucie ???????

Wigan haven't even won anything yet! pfffff
  • How about Ferguson getting knighted after 1 Champions league victory, and Bob Paisley winning 3 European cups and not getting a sausage?

Given out like confetti these days by this Labour government, they have devalued the honours system.
  • I have no problem with sportsmen being recognised, but it really should be once their careers has ended and is reflected on properly.
  • edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]How about Ferguson getting knighted after 1 Champions league victory, and Bob Paisley winning 3 European cups and not getting a sausage?

Given out like confetti these days by this Labour government, they have devalued the honours system.

Just how do you devalue a system that routinely hands awards to senior civil servants and backbench politicians for occupying a chair and rewards newspaper editors for publishing politically biased rubbish? It's a comedy show and always has been.
  • What about Chrissy Powell
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I have no problem with sportsmen being recognised, but it really should be once their careers has ended and is reflected on properly.[/quote]

Yep this is a potential danger. If it was found that he was on steroids or somesuch it would be embarrassing.
  • [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]How about Ferguson getting knighted after 1 Champions league victory, and Bob Paisley winning 3 European cups and not getting a sausage?

Just how do you devalue a system that routinely hands awards to senior civil servants and backbench politicians for occupying a chair and rewards newspaper editors for publishing politically biased rubbish? It's a comedy show and always has been.

OK, point taken, just more devaluled than it used to be!
  • Sponsored links:

• Hoy has been a World Champion for the last 6 years, won 4 golds and one silver at Olympics and a couple of Commonwealth golds as well.

I don't see what him being Scottish has to do with it, and this was always going to be an Olympic based honours list anyway
  • Just how do you devalue a system that routinely hands awards to senior civil servants and backbench politicians for occupying a chair and rewards newspaper editors for publishing politically biased rubbish? It's a comedy show and always has been.

There are a lot of people who have served the country over a number of years for whom a gong is a reward for public service. Similarly those who do work for charity - often unpaid and I've no problem with sportmen/women being recognised for their achievements. It doesn't cost much. On the other hand political parties (of all colours) have used and abused the system to reward party hacks, fundraisers and media supporters. My favourite story in this regard was Larry Lamb, ex-editor of the Sun and notorious alcoholic being knighted for "services to journalism", that he was an enthusiastic supporter of Thatcher and assisted in her 1979 election victory was purely coincidental...
  • edited December 2008
    I think Hoy was one of the correct ones, so why didnt the English girl swimmer wh won 2 gold medals and broke one of the longest unbroken world records get to be a Dame ?

Good to see tho that the scottish and Welsh Olympians had there own parades wasnt it but the English ????????????? nothing.

PS always though Keith Peacock should have been put up for something re his tie with us 35 years
  • What about Chrissy powell with all his charity work? He has done stuff for Leukemia (prob spelt wrong), homeless, nspcc etc... Chris hoy's mum got one because she had done charity work for narcoleptics.... (clearly only recognised for being Chris Hoy's Mum)
  • Good to see tho that the scottish and Welsh Olympians had there own parades wasnt it but the English ????????????? nothing.

Apart from the one that started at Mansion House and ended at Trafalgar Square.
  • edited December 2008
    that was for GB Chris Hoy being at the front of the bus and being inter viewed on TV
  • Rebecca Adlington had a parade in her home town, Ellie Simmonds had something along the same lines, and so did a lot of other Olympians.
  • Was there a parade for the English Olypians ?
  • Yeah, in Central London, for the team, if the Scots want to do something extra let them
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Was there a parade for the English Olypians ?[/quote]

Yep, it started at Mansion House and ended at Trafalgar Square.

HTH.
  • Sponsored links:

• noooo it didnt that was for team GB , Chris Hoy and thers were there .
  • Yeah, we compete as Team GB, so you know, they have a team GB parade, if towns and regions want to do there own thing let em.

Why do the English always get so uppity at the Scots, let it be.
  • yes just let it be.

all down to the English geting uppity.
  • Would there be half as many posts if this was Bradley Wiggins?
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Hoy has been a World Champion for the last 6 years, won 4 golds and one silver at Olympics and a couple of Commonwealth golds as well.

I don't see what him being Scottish has to do with it, and this was always going to be an Olympic based honours list anyway

I did put LOL at the end of my post so was just playing devils advocate.

Couldn't give a toss if he's scottish still don't think he deserves it.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Would there be half as many posts if this was Bradley Wiggins?[/quote]

As he only won golds there'd one third less posts.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Yeah, we compete as Team GB, so you know, they have a team GB parade, if towns and regions want to do there own thing let em.

I cannnot let this go without correction.

The Scots and Welsh celebrated their Olympians homecoming with Scottish and Welsh parades despite the fact all of them performed for team GB., Not a Union flag to be seen.
    Requests for an English homecoming were declined and the London parade was firmly declared a Team GB homecoming. The English Cross of St George was banned and the Union Flag handed out to all and sundry.
    Just another step along Gordon Browns road to wipe England of the map.
    I'm sorry for making this a political posting, but as a dedicated English Nationalist i'm deeply offended by this governments anti English agenda. All Englishmen and women need to wake up to what is happening to our nation.
  • Congratulations to all those honoured
  • edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Yeah, we compete as Team GB, so you know, they have a team GB parade, if towns and regions want to do there own thing let em.

I cannnot let this go without correction.

The Scots and Welsh celebrated their Olympians homecoming with Scottish and Welsh parades despite the fact all of them performed for team GB., Not a Union flag to be seen.
    Requests for an English homecoming were declined and the London parade was firmly declared a Team GB homecoming. The English Cross of St George was banned and the Union Flag handed out to all and sundry.
    Just another step along Gordon Browns road to wipe England of the map.
    I'm sorry for making this a political posting, but as a dedicated English Nationalist i'm deeply offended by this governments anti English agenda. All Englishmen and women need to wake up to what is happening to our nation.

You really don't get it do you Rothko? Maybe these pics may help? Spot the difference......

First Rebecca Adlington......
  • edited December 2008
    Now Nicole Cooke......