Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

No Confidence Vote -- for Parky, or for the Board?

* After Alan Pardew was sacked, I had no problem making Phil Parkinson the caretaker manager.
* I wanted to lean more on his successful tenure at Colchester United than his failure at Hull City.
* I remembered that he was someone that Charlton wanted to speak with as a potential replacement for Curbs, but were denied the opportunity by Colchester.
* I listened to Derek Chappell say that Parkinson would be judged on results during his watch, even if performances improved. It was results that counted, I heard Chappell say at Bromley.
* I was surprised when Richard Murray announced that Parkinson would get the rest of 2008 to show his magic. That he would be caretaker for at least eight matches. I thought that 4-6 would be sufficient to tell if Parky could do anything to turn around a season gone so terribly wrong.
* I thought those eight matches were more than sufficient time to come up with a Plan B, in case Parkinson failed.
* I wanted Parky to be successful; I want Charlton to be successful.

But the experiment has failed. Parkinson has guided Charlton to NO WINS in 8 matches in charge.
Coupled with his Hull tenure, he has experienced THREE WINS in 29 matches at The Championship level.
That is not a road to redemption, it is a road to ruin.

* I still believe there is time to get out of this mess. To clear the relegation zone.
* To bring in some new players in the January transfer window. To change the dynamic of the team that has not been working.
* To remain in The Championship. To keep the club viable for outside investors or for a takeover.

* I understand that Parky needs to talk the talk, and spout the party line, for as long as he in temporary charge. He comes across as a standup guy, someone you wanted to succeed.

Well, his eight games are up. A total of 3 of a possible 24 points have been earned. It not only hasn't been good enough, results have gotten worse, and more predictable, even with the occasional glimmer of hope.

It is high time for Richard Murray and the plc board's -- or plc and football club boards' -- "Strategic Review," to judge Parkinson's eight matches in-charge.

Whether the board realises it or not, the votes (points) have been cast. No recount is needed. It is crystal clear that a major change is needed to stop the rot. That the status quo is not good enough, nor will be tolerated by many loyal supporters who only want what is best for their club.

Yet we hear nothing from the board, only Parky talking about transfer targets in January.
Is he still going to be in-charge then? And if so, how does the board justify that decision based on results that are irrefutable that a change of direction is the only possible saving grace.

The Board gets the final say in the direction that the club takes. We eagerly await to hear what they have to say.

Comments

• Options
    At the moment, Parkinson, the board nor the CEO would get my vote of confidence. Charlton are like a rudderless ship at the moment, IMHO. The standards were set by Murray, Varney and Curbishley. The standards have dropped since Curbishley and Varney have left. Murray's role changed and Chappell hasn't been able to take on the baton.
  • Options
    Unfortunately we've discovered that the board would rather the club go down than dip into it's own pockets.
  • Options
    the longer this continues the more it looks like it was curbs who was the key copmponent behind our rise............
    and the sad thing is charlie block's comments (not the name calling) about the board appear to be closer to the truth than we would have all hoped....
  • Options
    unfortunately we have discovered the board, at the present, are incompetent......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Show_Me_The_Mouni[/cite]Unfortunately we've discovered that the board would rather the club go down than dip into it's own pockets.

Pure 'speculation' and a nasty mischief making post.....they've put their money where their mouths are many a time, how much have you put in pal?
    There's a huge reccession in the making and the odd mill here and there ( which they may or may not have to 'spare') aint really gonna do CAFC a lot of good, whereas it would 'possibly' make a hell of difference to those decent men your slandering...you got the odd mill floating around moosh to throw at the problems...nagh thought not.
    I suggest you retract that 'crock of shyte' post...it serves no point whatsoever and my guess is that you have a hidden agenda....whoever you are....Mmmmmmm I wonder?
    I would honestly look every one of them in the eye and tell them they've fooked up...(because I'm sure they all realise that) but making spiteful remarks about them suggesting they in some way WANT us to be relegated serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever............ unless, as I say, you have an alternative agenda.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Show_Me_The_Mouni[/cite]Unfortunately we've discovered that the board would rather the club go down than dip into it's own pockets.

What a load of bollox mate - you obviosuly have no idea what you are talking about. It's a known fact the board "dipped into their own pockets" to bail the club out to the tune of about £15m last year.
  • Options
    SoundAsa..

Spot on mate
  • Options
    American Addick and ValleyMc have summed up my views perfectly. Very balanced piece AA.

In their shoes, although in hindsight i don't think now it was the right one, i could understand the boards strategy when we offloaded Pardew. We probably didn't have the money to pay them both off, by entrusting Parky it meant if it did not improve then we would still allow ourselves a final option to throw into the mix.

It has not improved, and that card needs to be thrown now. 1st team, reserves, youth teams, they are all struggling to get results this season. The whole club is shrouded by an air of defeat, and has been for a while now.

If they do decide to stick with Parky, then it will be a huge leap of faith that may well prove successful. But the evidence so far has not pointed to that happening, and if they do make that decision and it does not work, they risk seriously alienating themselves with the average fan for the first real time since 1985.

Some supporters are angry, some are philosophical, but the vast majority i believe are hugely despondent and are starting to feel a little let down. Like we can accept defeat when we see players busting their gut for the shirt, we equally can accept the worse if we feel that those making the decisions are being brave to give us every chance.

If they don't, then you can start to understand that a lot of the goodwill that has been generated over the years may start to evapourate.
  • Options
    extremely well put post by American Addick. Sums up the current situation perfectly. We await the Boards next move with anticipation but I fear we will be disappointed with what we get. On the other hand we'd be a laughing stock if they came out and gave the job permanently to a caretaker who has clearly at best failed and at worst been a total disaster.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Show_Me_The_Mouni[/cite]Unfortunately we've discovered that the board would rather the club go down than dip into it's own pockets.[/quote]

What a load of bollox mate - you obviosuly have no idea what you are talking about. It's a known fact the board "dipped into their own pockets" to bail the club out to the tune of about £15m last year.[/quote]

hahaha listen to you guys.....like the board has had nothing to do with the clubs undoing.....so feckin what if they put some cash in, the amount of money they've been paying out to our sacked bosses goes beyond that. You all sat here and bagged Pardew but the fish rotts at the head first guys.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2008
    The women are doing well though AFKA lets be the biggest women supported club in the world and support the women !!

All together now oooohhhhh ahhhh mortimer say ooooohhhh ahhh mortimer !!
  • Options
    Very good post by American Addick.

There's plenty of time to get towards mid-table safety, but we still seem to be drifting in the wrong direction.

Another time, Parkinson might have been a good choice, but at the moment he seems to represent a hangover from the Pardew era.

Money is obviously very tight, but it's very hard to believe that there isn't a way of getting more out of this current squad be it in terms of organisation or team selection.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Agree with everything American Addick says - apart from his first line!

I did have a problem with Parky from the outset as far too complicit in the disasters of the ancien regime and firmly believed he should have gone with his old boss (as happened at Forest last weekend). I said so here at the time and predicted where it would lead us. So did many others. I'm sure it gives none of us any pleasure to be proved right.

Otherwise, spot on, AA. I'm not going to join in sweeping dismissals of everything the board has done over many years - but since their failure to sack Pardew last May, they have got almost everything wrong and their continued silence since 5pm last Saturday is hard to take. Parkinson has had longer than he deserved and his time is more than up. The transfer window opens the day after tomorrow - and yet he is apparerntly still the man indentifying the players we are going to try to bring in over the next four weeks.

I'm going to use an acronym I've never used before - FFS!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Show_Me_The_Mouni[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]

What a load of bollox mate - you obviosuly have no idea what you are talking about. It's a known fact the board "dipped into their own pockets" to bail the club out to the tune of about £15m last year.

hahaha listen to you guys.....like the board has had nothing to do with the clubs undoing.....so feckin what if they put some cash in, the amount of money they've been paying out to our sacked bosses goes beyond that. You all sat here and bagged Pardew but the fish rotts at the head first guys.

What do you mean "so fecking what if they have put some cash in. Are you thick or something that was your original gripe in your first post saying they seem to be happy to be relegated rather than put money in - now you are saying you don't give a feck if they have.

Make your mind up fella
  • Options
    For the first time since I started following the Addicks, I feel literally hopeless. There is no straw to clutch at, not even a pinprick of light at the end of the tunnel. The same team can play for consecutive weeks, and play very well one week and stink the place out the next, what's that all about FFS?

It has not helped that we have been very unlucky in some games (Derby, Southampton), but Parky has had his chance, as AA so eloquently points out, and failed. New Year, new start - Kins should take temporary charge from today, and a new manager in place by Jan 14th.
  • Options
    American Addick and AFKA have just said it all to be honest. The feeling of being let down is what currently overwhelms me. I hadn't been happy that the board had offered the buy one get one free inducement whilst knowing that they would have to sell our best players. It struck me then as being somewhat Machiavellian and still does. I could understand Parky as caretaker, but it feels as though that is the future which is not how I understood it would be. I stumped up to get to the away games although I could ill afford it, but I believed that I had to support, but somehow, somewhere that sense has now disappeared. I feel now as though I'm being taken for a mug to be honest. I hate feeling this way, but...................
  • Options
    Good post AA sums up really well whats been going round and round in my head. I also wish we still had a supporters director.
  • Options
    Let down sums it all up,we can see it going tits up but the lack of action from the board, i find very frightening.
  • Options
    Like the majority of post there are things I agree with and things I don`t. Yes I agree Parkinsons reign must come to an end and yes I agree that I am baffled by the boards apparent inactivity but vote of no confidence in the board is a huge step too far.
  • Options
    Hold on hold on , the Board may not be able to "dip into their pockets" even if they wanted to. I would think that their wealth as such is in shares and property not cash in banks or in a tea caddy. Therefore even if they had the will and funds to bail us out, fund replacements etc they may not be able to turn their assests to cash during this credit crunch. Even if the banks can see that the Boards net worth is there --- banks aint lending dosh. Even extending the clubs mortgage is probably impossible in the present Bank f**k up situation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    American Addick is absolutely spot on, excellent post. Unfortunately for us we have now become a model club for how not to do things which is for me the saddest part.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It's more than an argument about Parky not being the man for the job. It's also about the uncertainty the board has engendered and which can only have further destabilised a bunch or already very fragile players, I think.

For the first four or five games of his caretakership, the team presumably didn't know if Parky would be around from one game to the next.

Then we had Murray's statement so they had a few games where they knew he would be in charge until after Shef Utd.

Now presumably the squad are back to having no more idea than we do whether Parky will still be in charge for the Forest match.

I know they're highly-paid professionals who should just get their heads down and perform whatever the circs. But with confidence and self-belief at such a low ebb, the uncertainty can't be helping them to peform with any consistency, can it?

I think the board intended Parky stil to be here in the New Year from the outset of his caretakership - regardless of how poor the results were. Indeed, I remember Henry saying on here at the time that he didn't believe the board would be rushed into any decision before the New Year and we had better get used to it. They thought they could buy time - which is tactically fine when there is time available to buy. But there isn't any left to buy right now, is there?
  • Options
    What is the aim of this vote ? is it that the "Board" go ? just who is going to buy any one of these guys out ? who is going to put up £10 millin say for RM or £5million for Chappel ? -------------------- NO ONE WILL --- NO ONE.

The strategic review is total bllx. We have no cash and no way of geting any, therefore it was HOPING that Parky could turn it round . There was nothing strategic in it when the Board tell us they aint looking for another manager. Now though with the Nitemare on Floyd Road going on and on and on there is 100% a strategic review going on and thats how we survive in Div 1 --- who has tobe sold -- how many more staff(poor bastards) get laid off---- will we loose 40% of our gate income --- how can we pay everyone. Thats the strategic review.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]
    Yet we hear nothing from the board, only Parky talking about transfer targets in January.
    Is he still going to be in-charge then? And if so, how does the board justify that decision based on results that are irrefutable that a change of direction is the only possible saving grace.

I don't think Parky talking about transfer targets points to any decision the board may take regarding him.
    Cory Gibbs was signed when we were manager less, Hasselbaink was signed under Dowie, but I’m not sure how much Dowie had to do with it. as Murray said in the press conference “he always wanted to sign him"…
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite] their continued silence since 5pm last Saturday is hard to take. Parkinson has had longer than he deserved and his time is more than up. The transfer window opens the day after tomorrow - and yet he is apparerntly still the man indentifying the players we are going to try to bring in over the next four weeks.

Either the board have some misguided sense of honesty and are waiting until Jan 1st to sack him or he has at least one more game. It is unlikely that FA Cup failure will be relevant so we can expect Parky to be in charge until at least 10th Jan. By that time promising players like Moo2, Dickson & McLeod who the old regime had a problem with, may be gone. Additionally he may have shipped in more dead wood like Burton. We will again have 5 loanees in the 16. The dressing room split could still be festering. Transfer window time will be running out for a new man. He is patently not the man for the job.
  • Options
    i wish i could see through posters like some of you

show me the mouni

you have made a rather large arse out of what you have wrote.

the issue is not and has not ever been about how much money has been invested into the club.

it is an issue as to what direction the club choose to follow next, i.e what manager do we go for.
  • Options
    the problem could be that that Parky and Reed failed cos they were no2s, or cos they were part of the previous regime.

Having said that did Pardew actually succeed??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]the problem could be that that Parky and Reed failed cos they were no2s, or cos they were part of the previous regime.

Having said that did Pardew actually succeed??

Reed was an excellent coach who courageously tried to step out of his comfort zone to be a manager.

Parkinson is a manager so to compare the two is a bit of a red herring in my view.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: joeaddick[/cite]

I don't think Parky talking about transfer targets points to any decision the board may take regarding him.

Interesting point, Joe.

If I was in Parky's position, I would be doing the job in exactly the same way as if I was already a permanent appointment.
    He has to personally believe that he has a chance of a future at Charlton. Otherwise the job is untenable for him.

So, of course, he's drawn up his own list of prospective signings.
    But that's no guarantee he will be appointed permanently.

The biggest clue will be if he wheels and deals - once he pays money for a new signing, then that will indicate the Board are backing him.
  • Options
    Criticism of the Charlton board, particularly Mr Murray is rather like calling your nan a slapper. Not nice.
    The fact is, the board under RM saved our club and developed it into a Premiership football club, in a Premiership stadium.
    However, since they 'encouraged' Curbs. out, one year early. With the support of many fans, including me. They have got it wrong. The plan, post Curbs. involving the new structure with A. Mills and Dowie clearly didn't work. The decision to give Uncle Les a three year contract when he should have been a caretaker was wrong.
    The signing of Pardew was welcomed by most, again including me. But he should have gone at the end of last season.
    I think all of that is pretty well accurate, but now the contentious bit.
    I think RM and the board are tired of it all and want out. Whilst they concern themselves with finding a buyer, they are reluctant to make anymore big decisions, financially or regarding the current manager. Hence the mess we're in!