Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Parker

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]It's all relative though, especially in money terms. £2.2m is a lot, but £5m+ is a lot more.

correct and if you have a big family brother's sisters etc .................
  • Options
    Brought this very question up at the recent meeting with Peter Varney and Keith Peacock, my attitude and comment was you have a contract and are going nowhere son, reserves so be it.......!

He could have left in the summer, like Andy ' R'........ got the idea from the comments it is not as simple as that, have to add that It did Scott's England career no favours, and why he is rarely mentioned as a possible player for the world cup!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]It's a shame what's happened to Parker (not sure if I mean that...) hopefully it will be lesson for other young player, to make small steps instead of jumping straight to a top 4 club

Agreed. Take Dickson, for example ......... Charlton, Crewe, Gillingham and Bristol Rovers.
    Far more sensible to make small steps instead of jumping straight to a top 4 club.

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]No brainer, and a decision that any of us would have made.

I hope I'd have waited until the season end.
    But you could have gotten injured and the deal would be off.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Parker has made a lot of money from football but made a very poor choice back in January 2004 in terms of his career

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Except in Parker's case ............ he took the money, and he's paid for his choice.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]No brainer, and a decision that any of us would have made.

The mistake Parker made though was to sign without any guarantees that he's start any matches, only once did he start in CM, the rest of the time he played on the left/right wing and out of position. He made his fortune at the expense of his career.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]He made his fortune at the expense of his career.

That's what I tried to say above, BFR.

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]

The mistake Parker made though was to sign without any guarantees that he's start any matches, only once did he start in CM, the rest of the time he played on the left/right wing and out of position. He made his fortune at the expense of his career.
    I don't think any player signs for Chelsea with those kind of guarantees. I think them paying £10m for you is a good indication you will be used.

As for the money over career point - it's true, to some extent. But of course you can only make that call now with the benefit of hindsight, wich Scott didn't have.
  • Options
    At the time Parker went straight into the Chelsea midfield because of injury and poor form of other players... so straight into a champions league quarter final .... what I mean is that it probably looked pretty good for his career. If I remember rightly things went wrong when he broke his foot AND Ranieri got the boot... not only did Maurino not rate Parker but he also had the clout and cash to buy replacements in the summer as Chelsea started to push for the title.

The point is could Charlton have shut the door? When (not if!) we are chasing promotion to the Premier League or in fact this year chasing automatic promotion, the club (and it's finances) have got to be in a position to say no-one leaves if they are key to what's happening ... unless there's a replacement coming through or a swap/loan etc.

Interesting reading this thread to see the different quotes and perspectives... let's just hope that next time the board and manager can control these situations

I hear Beckford has put in a request at Leeds so lets see how that one plays out
  • Options
    clubs no longer have the power, the players do.....

end of.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree with a lot of the above, but the modern footballer does not seem to want to see a future beyond the game; if he had stayed at Charlton how much more would have his future been worth? He would have been a potential future manager for us, as well as hospitality, etc.....Agents are only in it for the short term and that is what the players follow; I think at the time his wages were reported at nearer 20K but Chelsea were offering double....
  • Options
    Just too good for us. Shame, but true. Best midfielder I ever saw; bit I missed Simmo.

By all accounts, he wouldn't have been fit fit to lace his boots. Am I wrong?
  • Options
    Alan Simonsen, European Footballer of the Year, just a touch better than Mr. Parker and, without any doubt at all, the best footballer that has ever played for little old Charlton Athletic.

The only one that could come close would be Di Canio.
  • Options
    Where would Parker come for you Orm?
  • Options
    Parker is very, very high on my list - certainly top five - but not in the same class as a footballer as Simonsen or Di Canio.

Parker was probably our best central midfielder since the 1950's, alongside Bowyer, but the pedigree of Simonsen was unparallelled at Charlton, we have never had anyone else anywhere near his class or stature in the world game and probably never will.

Simonsen was EFOTY in 1977 and after his spell with Charlton in 1982 he went on to star in the 1984 Euro Champs for Denmark (knocking England out in the qualifiers) and also played in the 1986 World Cup, so he was hardly on his last legs when we joined us.

Di Canio, well, what can you say? The bloke's skill level was ridiculous.

Do yourself a favor and beg/borrow/steal some footage of his time with us, there is some on the 1980's club DVD, he was different class.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Alan Simonsen, European Footballer of the Year, just a touch better than Mr. Parker and, without any doubt at all, the best footballer that has ever played for little old Charlton Athletic.

The only one that could come close would be Di Canio.

You obviously never saw Stuart Leary then Ormiston....am I right?
    If you get hold of a copy of The Valiant 500 Colin Cameron also decribes Leary as the greatest player he has ever seen in an Addicks shirt, an opinion to which I wholeheartedly concur.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Parker is very, very high on my list - certainly top five - but not in the same class as a footballer as Simonsen or Di Canio.

Parker was probably our best central midfielder since the 1950's, alongside Bowyer, but the pedigree of Simonsen was unparallelled at Charlton, we have never had anyone else anywhere near his class or stature in the world game and probably never will.

Simonsen was EFOTY in 1977 and after his spell with Charlton in 1982 he went on to star in the 1984 Euro Champs for Denmark (knocking England out in the qualifiers) and also played in the 1986 World Cup, so he was hardly on his last legs when we joined us.

Di Canio, well, what can you say? The bloke's skill level was ridiculous.

Do yourself a favor and beg/borrow/steal some footage of his time with us, there is some on the 1980's club DVD, he was different class.

he was before my time also if you want to lend me the dvd? ;-)

Although di canio maybe one of the most skillfull players we have had but i wouldn't put him above Scotty P, yes he could probably do more things. but in terms of what they contribute towards the team as an all round player i would say parker is my top ever charlton player, but i am a bit biast towards him also ive only been going last 10-11 years or so
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Alan Simonsen, European Footballer of the Year, just a touch better than Mr. Parker and, without any doubt at all, the best footballer that has ever played for little old Charlton Athletic.

The only one that could come close would be Di Canio.[/quote]

You obviously never saw Stuart Leary then Ormiston....am I right?
    If you get hold of a copy of The Valiant 500 Colin Cameron also decribes Leary as the greatest player he has ever seen in an Addicks shirt, an opinion to which I wholeheartedly concur.[/quote]

No, never saw Leary, although he was obviously very special and I supposed Eddie Firmani would be in the same class as well.

In terms of stature in the world game, I don't think anyone else comes close to Simonsen although I supposed Leary/Firmani could have been as skillful, but I have never even seen them on video.

For younger readers, Charlton getting Simonsen in 1982 would be like us signing Kaka or Nedved now, simply extraordinary.
  • Options
    Going a bit off topic but can anyone else see Parker going to the World Cup? I was thinking about our defensive midfield options and as it stands we've got Barry, Hargreaves and Carrick clearly ahead of him but after that i can't see anybody better than Parker on the horizon. With Hargreaves ever coming back in doubt and Carrick being very light in the tackle then surely an injury to Barry would open the door wide open. Personally i'd love to see him finally fulfill his potential in an England shirt.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]Going a bit off topic but can anyone else see Parker going to the World Cup? I was thinking about our defensive midfield options and as it stands we've got Barry, Hargreaves and Carrick clearly ahead of him but after that i can't see anybody better than Parker on the horizon. With Hargreaves ever coming back in doubt and Carrick being very light in the tackle then surely an injury to Barry would open the door wide open. Personally i'd love to see him finally fulfill his potential in an England shirt.

Not off topic, SantaClaus - this is a Scott Parker thread!

I agree with you that he'd be a worthy member of the squad. Like Bent though, I think there's next to no chance of him going. I don't think he's been in any of Capello's squads (correct me if I'm wrong).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Like Bent though, I think there's next to no chance of him going. I don't think he's been in any of Capello's squads (correct me if I'm wrong).

I think the difference with Bent is that we have 7 or 8 strikers of one type or another who could reasonably expect to get in an England squad so he has huge competition but after Barry i can't see any other tackling midfielder (currently playing) who could hold a midfield other than Parker. Cappello has obviously seen that Carrick hasn't done it for Manchester United on the big occasions and i find it hard to believe he'd go into a World Cup with such a lightweight as plan A, B and C. Wouldn't suprise me if Parker got a call up in some of the friendlies as safety net for the manager just in cased something happens to Barry.
  • Options
    I've sort of forgiven Scott Parker by now.

I felt betrayed and angry enough at the time, especially the knock on effect it had at our club that we're still paying the price for today - but he can't be blamed for every decision the club has made since then.

He was a very good player for us, playing with ability, courage and character.
    We should perhaps factor that into our opinions of him.

Sure, in the end he let us down big time. But that was many years ago now.
    We have to move on and put it all behind us.

Even if we can't totally forget.
  • Options
    Parker the best footballer or midfielder Charlton have had since the 1950 s....?
    Maybe. But there have been others, apart from Simmo and Di Canio.

In the 1960s - nobody has yet mentioned Mike Bailey, capped twice for Englind while still playing in the Second Division for Charlton. Absolute powerhouse midfielder with great tackle and lethal shot. Top flight Wolves, one of the big names in those days, paid a lot of money for him.

In defence we also had centre half Marvin Hinton, calm, composed, quality on the ball.
    He went to top flight Chelsea for a big sum in those days.

Then there was Lenny Glover, left wing wizard - and on his day untouchable.
    Top flight Leicester thought so too, and gave us a big cheque in exchange.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Parker the best footballer or midfielder Charlton have had since the 1950 s....?
    Maybe. But there have been others, apart from Simmo and Di Canio.

In the 1960s - nobody has yet mentioned Mike Bailey, capped twice for Englind while still playing in the Second Division for Charlton. Absolute powerhouse midfielder with great tackle and lethal shot. Top flight Wolves, one of the big names in those days, paid a lot of money for him.

In defence we also had centre half Marvin Hinton, calm, composed, quality on the ball.
    He went to top flight Chelsea for a big sum in those days.

Then there was Lenny Glover, left wing wizard - and on his day untouchable.
    Top flight Leicester thought so too, and gave us a big cheque in exchange.

Example upon example of just a few of the great players this club have failed to hold onto..... in a word, scandalous.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Like Bent though, I think there's next to no chance of him going. I don't think he's been in any of Capello's squads (correct me if I'm wrong).

I think Benty has got more chance, think Parker has got slight chance but would need injury to barry to happen or carrick which i cant see happenning
    Benty's got to be 50/50 at mo just needs to prove when given the chance in the next friendly

They'll both do a job, but i think parker would work harder and sort of player england would love giving 110% and breaking up play although wont get in ahead of barry unfortunately
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I've sort of forgiven Scott Parker by now.

I felt betrayed and angry enough at the time, especially the knock on effect it had at our club that we're still paying the price for today - but he can't be blamed for every decision the club has made since then.

He was a very good player for us, playing with ability, courage and character.
    We should perhaps factor that into our opinions of him.

Sure, in the end he let us down big time. But that was many years ago now.
    We have to move on and put it all behind us.

Even if we can't totally forget.

His celebration after scoring against us for Newcastle showed a lack of class.
  • Options
    Disagree AshTray, could have rubbed it in, a la Adebayor, instead ran to celebrate with their fans.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: North Lower Neil[/cite]Disagree AshTray, could have rubbed it in, a la Adebayor, instead ran to celebrate with their fans.

agree with you neil .... although i did say as he lined it up 'go on shoot' ...doh!
  • Options
    Was just thinking, would someone like Cattermole be ahead of Parker?

I really don't see Parker going to the World Cup, unless there are a lot of injuries to the central midfielders.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Anyone who watched West Ham v Chelsea the other week on Sky would have seen Parker looking like the cafc Parker, box to box, energetic, tenacious, good range of passing. I know I am biased but for me he looked better than Lampard. If Parker had a decent goal return he would be the complete midfielder