Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliot

2»

Comments

• Options
    Should of held on to the jersey after Plymouth away last season

Elliot #1 for the future
  • Options
    Looks like Elliot could well be number 1 for the future and should hold the shirt for Saturday, but it will be better to judge him after a few games and the initial adrenalin rush has gone. After Anfield, Randolph was hailed as the great future and then he played in one game last season made a stupid error and was no longer considered worthy
  • Options
    anyone else think elliot is sh*t?

no huge mistakes so far which is why everyone is still chanting "charlton's number one...", but...

- beaten at his near post yesterday, and given it was a relatively tight angle, that's poor
    - didn't get near those 2 free kicks in the previous 2 games (I accept they were both good free kicks...)
    - poor positioning, and loads of times doesn't come out for corners or crosses that he should come out for - only reason people haven't mentioned it is because we haven't conceded from one of them yet.
    - dodgy kicking
  • Options
    elliott comes for all crosses and corners,my only concern yesterday was he rushed his kicks towards the end.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]elliott comes for all crosses and corners,my only concern yesterday was he rushed his kicks towards the end.[/quote]

Yes and no
    Seen keepers before get moaned at for being slow, shows he wanted to get the ball up there maybe the players should be as eager as him
  • Options
    he's a young lad and a baby in terms of his career as a keeper. To me he looks like he has the makings of a very good keeper. But people are mental if they think he isnt going to make a mistake or two along the way. No keeper is the finished article at his age.

Richard Wright was touted as the best keeper in the country when he was young - only to get found out as average after making a step up far too early.

I say give Elliot a break. Accept that he is going to make mistakes as he gains more experience. lets not forget he has only played a handfull of senior games. We have a good prospect who is a Charlton boy. Its not his fault we find ourselves where we are.

Number 1 for me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: deeeeeeeeeeanooo[/cite]anyone else think elliot is sh*t?

- beaten at his near post yesterday, and given it was a relatively tight angle, that's poor

Hardly a tight angle. The striker had the whole goal to aim at.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: deeeeeeeeeeanooo[/cite]anyone else think elliot is sh*t?

no huge mistakes so far which is why everyone is still chanting "charlton's number one...", but...

- didn't get near those 2 free kicks in the previous 2 games (I accept they were both good free kicks...)
    - poor positioning, and loads of times doesn't come out for corners or crosses that he should come out for - only reason people haven't mentioned it is because we haven't conceded from one of them yet.
    - dodgy kicking[/quote]

Does my head in when people come on here moaning about young lads who have played a handful of games. Think his kicking and distribution is the best we have seen from a keeper for some time. As Henry says above, yesterday Lupoli had the whole goal to aim at, and he comes for more crosses & corners than Weaver ever does? As for the free kicks, you MAY have a point but IMO they were both great free-kicks and i doubt most keepers in the Championship would have saved them.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    What Valleyman said. Elliot is the future and i think he's done well considering the situation he's walked into.
  • Options
    I was right behind Rob yesterday when Norwich scored. The defence just opened up in front of him, giving the Norwich player the whole of one side of the goal to aim at. So he just stroked it wide of Rob, who was standing in the middle of the goal. The keeper was never going to get anywhere near the ball if it was hit properly. And it was. You really can't blame Rob for that goal. Blame the defenders that just disappeared at the wrong time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To say Elliot is s##t just shows what is wrong with this club and its fans at the moment.

So, IF he is s##t, what do we do? Buy a new keeper? Play Weaver again?

What about giving him a chance?

For god sake, if you want to see a error free game from 11 players, go and watch someone else!
  • Options
    The lads needs more games before we can really judge him. Weaver needs this rest his confidence is rock bottom which is fatal for a keeper.
  • Options
    If Elliott is inexperienced and occasionally makes a poor judgement, does that make him a bad player?

Think of recent England keepers: James, Robinson, Carson for example - now they all experienced at the top level to various degrees. But you will never see them make a poor judgement, will you...?

As has been pointed out already, Rob Elliott is young, inexperienced and learning his trade - and showing the makings of a very decent keeper.

And the fact he is a life-long Addick and one of us, means that I regard him as special amongst our squad of players.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Weaver To Celtic is what i have heard and to say Elliot is shit is just ridiculous especially as youre name is Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeanno and he couldnt kick for toffee

He was prone to letting in long range efforts towards the end and dithered on occasions also

For god sake, if you want to see a error free game from 11 players, go and watch someone else! Best line i have read on here in ages

he is a Charlton Fan he loves the badge and for some reason people wantt to put a fella back in who has done fa but we could do with out the wages and use the cash to get a better centre half in who could offer the young goalie an elemant of protection
  • Options
    Give the lad a chance, he's young and is not fully fit a moment.
  • Options
    Of all the players to criticise he's the last on the list.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Elliot's doing fine and Weaver is also fine. Don't forget Weaver was playing the last few games with a hip injury and was needing injections to play.

Goalkeeping is the least of our problems.
  • Options
    Elliott's not the greatest keeper in the world yet, but he's certainly not shit. He needs more experience, but he's got a lot of potential, and I'd have no qualms about playing him until Weaver is fully fit, and maybe even beyond.
  • Options
    You know what I liked about yesterday? Apart from Bouazza we were watching Charlton Athletic. If Rob Elliott is a supporter even better. Goalkeepers take ages to become players, we let Jason Brown go, and lo and behold he pops up these days playing for Blackburn Rovers. If we have an Elliott/Randolph axis, where two of our boys battle to get into our team then blimmin good I say. If offing Weaver and saving a fortune on wages, and getting some dosh in to weigh against our continual losses this season is possible, lets do it now....I mean, can Elliott contribute to WORSE results than Weaver?
    Go for it Rob mate, you are we and we are you and we are all together.
  • Options
    I think Elliot, is doing fine, And I think Weaver is good to, the goalkeeping side of things is fine, defensively we need strengthening (and just about everywhere else!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blaming Elliott for Cook's free-kick against QPR is fecking madness, it was a top-class strike that very few keepers apart from maybe that Brazilian guy at Spurs (Gomes?) would have reached.

Bloody inevitable that Cook would score it too.
  • Options
    ok, agreed it was harsh to say he's rubbish, just not as good as everyone makes out might have been more what I meant..
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]elliott comes for all crosses and corners
    simply not true, many occasions its be crossed inside or on the edge of 5 yard box and he hasn't come for it. as I said, only reason people aren't complaining is that we haven't conceded from one yet.
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Hardly a tight angle. The striker had the whole goal to aim at.
    Lupoli was almost on the far side of the six yard box when he shot, beating Elliot at his near post. I would have been disappointed if I were him to be beaten there.

Anyway I hope I'm proved wrong and he goes on to be a quality keeper. Although not too good so we sell him...