Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliot

edited December 2008 in General Charlton
should start at Norwich for me.. Reminded me of a cross between Deano and Paddy Kenny, 2 exelent keepers. He was on his toes looking for red shirts all the time, and a great left peg on him. no blame for either goals especailly thr second. thought he was gona save the pen but for a slip he just couldnt get there despite it being a weak pen. He showed more about him then weaver has done in 2 and a half seasons. As a fellow keeper i thought he was great, better than weaver and Randolph. Has to be number one for Saturday.

Comments

• Options
    agree. solid left foot. didnt look nervous at all. made a save, caught crosses and good distribution.

Weaver was dropped for lack of form so no reason for Rob not to be starting on saturday.
  • Options
    Both Elliott & Basey were distraught at the end. Showed they cared, same team again for Norwich.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kodfish[/cite]Both Elliott & Basey were distraught at the end. Showed they cared, same team again for Norwich.

Yeah, the missus told me Basey was crying at the end and at least it showed he gave a toss. If anything it arguably makes stronger the claim that we should be using more of our own youngsters.
  • Options
    He's a Charlton fan first & foremost so he cares what happens, as do people like Basey, Wright etc, would always play these players over some of the ones who clearly do not give a rats arse. He should be No1 for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    Elliot all day long
  • Options
    The lad done well

I say same team for Norwich
  • Options
    Great to see Robbie in goal, i hope he stays there, does well, and goes on to be a great keeper.

But i want to defend Weaver a little here. Weaver was brave to come to this club in the first place given all the flack we have given him, and i suspect he has been nothing but a true professional since he has been here. He is not a Premiership keeper, but we in turn are not a Premiership club. He has without a doubt though saved more points than he has cost us since he has been here that is for sure.

Weaver has not been right of late, we can all see that, and it was a bold but correct decision by Parkinson to take a prominent senior player out of the side. But then i learnt after the game that Weaver has been carrying an injury for a while, had an injection so he could play in the last game and played with flu in the game before that, so he certainly won't be getting no committment slating from me, and i hope if he does come back into the side, the fans are with him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Great to see Robbie in goal, i hope he stays there, does well, and goes on to be a great keeper.

But i want to defend Weaver a little here. Weaver was brave to come to this club in the first place given all the flack we have given him, and i suspect he has been nothing but a true professional since he has been here. He is not a Premiership keeper, but we in turn are not a Premiership club. He has without a doubt though saved more points than he has cost us since he has been here that is for sure.

Weaver has not been right of late, we can all see that, and it was a bold but correct decision by Parkinson to take a prominent senior player out of the side. But then i learnt after the game that Weaver has been carrying an injury for a while, had an injection so he could play in the last game and played with flu in the game before that, so he certainly won't be getting no committment slating from me, and i hope if he does come back into the side, the fans are with him.

I'd like to hope that not too many have the knives out for Weaver but i think his spot should be up for grabs like all the other players and Elliot i think deserves at least a few games to show what he can do. If the gamble fails at least Weaver may be a bit fresher on his return.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Spot on Bart man. I'm pleased for Elliot and hopefully he goes on to do well, he looks a competent keeper but I would rather judge him after a run of games in the first team. Ok Weaver has had a few slip ups this season, but what keeper doesn't. He has been a solid signing for us IMHO. He doesn't warrant being slagged off by his own fans, especially as you say he has been carrying an injury as well!

Barts, was it you that came into the Oak at around 7 last night. We've only briefly met once and I wasn't sure!
  • Options
    What happened to my post????
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good to see Rob get his chance, must admit I certainly was not happy with Weaver's move to Charlton in the first place but agree he has a been a committed player and has clearly not been fit in the last few matches.
    Weaver need time to regain his fitness so give Rob a chance to prove himself before he get's fed up with waiting and ask's to move on.He may well be a Charlton fan but he is a professional and will not wait in the wings indefinitely.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kodfish[/cite]Both Elliott & Basey were distraught at the end. Showed they cared, same team again for Norwich.

Basey has been at Charlton since he was 10 years old, most of our squad haven't been here 10 minutes. Agree, same team for Norwich.
  • Options
    Thought he commanded the penalty area in the first half and couldn't fault his handling.

Perhaps if he hadn't been jumping around before the penalty so much he might have been balanced to try and save it instead of slipping.

Overal a good performence and the best compliment I think to give is that it was soon forgotten he was a rookey keeper.
  • Options
    As a former Charlton youth team keeper myself I feel qualified to add my £0.02 worth here

Weaver's mobility is my issue with him. Runs like he is on roller skates and stays on his line too often. Kicking is pretty good with either foot but can be erratic from hands
    When he gets the ball he doesn't seem to look to build quickly (last line of defence and first line of attack)
    His handling is not great and he tends to parry straight back into play
    When jumping he doesn't dominate
    His communication is not good enough

Elliott is an unknown quantity but from what I saw last night his kicking is assured, his handling looked ok and he was keen to build from the back (whenever he got the ball he was on his toes moving to the front of his area)

I have not seen enough of him to say if I think he will be the next Deano but I am happy with the start he made. The fact that he is an avid Addick helps too!!

For me - I'd keep him in the team for the forseeable and I hope he really takes the chance. I also will point out that I rate him above Randolph at this time. But If Weaver goes in January I would be more than happy with Elliott and Randolph as our main two
  • Options
    Agreed with Swisdom word for word.
  • Options
    Is it just me or does he look just a tad overweight ?
  • Options
    Give Elliott the gloves:

- charlton lad, proved he cares deeply last night with his reaction
    - confident and solid particularly for someone who is hardly in regular nick
    - fancied himself on crosses and seemed in control
    - bloody good left peg

To be honest when he came on last year at Plymouth and saved us those points in the dying minutes I was completely disgusted and I mean appalled by Pardew's decision not to play him against Southampton the following week.
  • Options
    Rob's facebook statuses have kept me amused all season
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]

Weaver he tends to parry straight back into play

fair comment but the one save elliot had to make he parried right back into play and was only saved bya great basey challenge....
    i think give elliot a little run but get weaver back in once he is back to full fitness
  • Options
    no he didn't, elliot paried it wide, it was misfortune that that was where Varney was running in from, if he had paried it straight back out it would've been a goal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Great to see Robbie in goal, i hope he stays there, does well, and goes on to be a great keeper.But i want to defend Weaver a little here. Weaver was brave to come to this club in the first place given all the flack we have given him, and i suspect he has been nothing but a true professional since he has been here. He is not a Premiership keeper, but we in turn are not a Premiership club. He has without a doubt though saved more points than he has cost us since he has been here that is for sure.

Very good post and totally spot on, Rob is a very promising keeper but Nicky Weaver still has a big part to play for us.
  • Options
    Elliott's prescence gave the whole back four a major boost in confidence- Hudson looked a million times better. Elliott didn't stop talking the entire game and at one stage in the second half came up to the halfway line to give instructions to players waiting for a corner to be taken. His performance against Yeovill earlier this year was outstanding too, he showed more attacking promise in the last couple minutes of that game when he came up for the corners than some of our forwards have all season- give him an extended run in the team and see how he fairs- it is up to Weaver to WIN his pplace back (competetion for places is never a bad thing)
  • Options
    yeah he was great on monday i think he should keep his place.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Several people have commented on his weight recently but although he may look overweight on the pitch, having seen him recently he definitely is not.
  • Options
    Always nice to see one of our own do well.

No reflection on Nicky who I think has been one of Pardew's few successes overall.
  • Options
    Parkinson has to take some of the blame for Weavers recent performances, playing him when he wasn't fully fit. Worse still announcing before the Coventry game that he was carrying a knock- I said to my son that if Chris Coleman had nous, he'd tell his players to test Weaver which is exactly what happened with the second goal!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: kodfish[/cite]Both Elliott & Basey were distraught at the end. Showed they cared, same team again for Norwich.[/quote]

Definitely same team, they showed passion and heart.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stubs1310[/cite]Parkinson has to take some of the blame for Weavers recent performances, playing him when he wasn't fully fit. Worse still announcing before the Coventry game that he was carrying a knock- I said to my son that if Chris Coleman had nous, he'd tell his players to test Weaver which is exactly what happened with the second goal!

Yeah cos he wouldn't have shot if Weaver was fit. Even though he scored an identical goal the previous week against Reading :-)
  • Options
    Might as well play Elliot, he looked ok to me and as many have said he's a Charlton fan like us so he cares. Plus if we go down he'll be our keeper next season anyway as there's no way they'll pay Weavers wages in league one.
  • Options
    This is about Elliott and I say play him!