Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Strangest place you've seen CAFC play?....include journey details.

Comments

• On the 1997 pre-season tour in Ireland Charlton played a team from the University College of Dublin. Bit of a journey from Dublin town centre on a bus, we then walked round the campus for ages until we found the ground which was little more than a fenced off pitch. Bizarrely, there was a large TV gantry plonked in front of what could be called the main stand.

Charlton won the game 2-1, Mark Bright with the winner if memory serves.
  • [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]Didn't Killer score from a corner there ?

Crossed from a long way out and it went it. Admitted it on Telly the next day I think but was it Killer.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Wimbourne near Bournemouth

Tiny non-league ground, after a day out in B'mouth arrived to find Charlton fans having a kick about on the pitch. Very surreal, but good day.

How long ago did we play them AFKA? I played a few friendlies for Wimborne about 4yrs ago, ditched them for someone else though as they were pants. Hated their pitch n all, quite well kept but quite slanted.
  • edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]
    How long ago did we play them AFKA? I played a few friendlies for Wimborne about 4yrs ago, ditched them for someone else though as they were pants. Hated their pitch n all, quite well kept but quite slanted.

I'd guess around 1993
  • Correct Wimborne was indeed 93/94 season.
    Bumped into Luther Blissitt in the car park as he was going to sign for them.
  • edited November 2008
    Kerkrade in Southern Holland watching us get gubbed by Roda JC Pre-season.

The best and funniest weekend following Charlton ever.

Also went to Wimborne and Dublin, which was great but honestly NOTHING will ever compare to Roda away.

Fot to the Dam on Thursday night then on Friday lunchtime got a 3 hour train trip from Amsterdam to the Dutch/German border with about 15 of us.

Never can an away turn-out ever be more pissed than that one.

Also visted the greatest club in the evening. . . .

Our pre-season's now sum up the club.. . . (dull & stale)
  • Right here in Ashford. Played Ashford Town for some Cup in the mid 90s. So unimportant that I don't think it's even on our honours list.
  • Kent Cup or something similiar wasnt it...
  • [cite]Posted By: Tommy Dowling[/cite]On the 1997 pre-season tour in Ireland Charlton played a team from the University College of Dublin. Bit of a journey from Dublin town centre on a bus, we then walked round the campus for ages until we found the ground which was little more than a fenced off pitch. Bizarrely, there was a large TV gantry plonked in front of what could be called the main stand.

Charlton won the game 2-1, Mark Bright with the winner if memory serves.

i remember that one - like playing at a school ground
  • I fell down that Harlow grass bank.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was on the aforementioned Ireland tour, I think it was that one anyway.

Didn't go to the UCD game but went to Kilkenny City & Bray Wanderers.

We were torn apart at kilkenny by a very young Micheal Reddy. Very funny watching Martin Simmons & Curbs softening up his mum & dad after the game. I believe we had him on trial and then he signed for Sunderland.
  • Dorchester Town pre-season. Went down by car with the kids and turned into Tesco's car park. My daughter was about 6 and wanted to know why I'd come shopping in her Charlton shirt. Top day though - the kids met Super Clive and Chris Powell - real family day.
  • edited November 2008
    Newcastle Away in the 80's

Not for tha match alone but the whole weekend was a classic.

Left London Friday morning becasue we wanted to break the journey. We were going to go to watch Halifax V Torquay who were playing on that day. Got there early and tried to get tickets, the guy at the club though we were Charlton officials on a scouting trip and tried to get us freebies. Torquay had three supporters and a dog on their end on the Shay, feckin stupid fixture for a Friday night!

After the game it was out for a beer and on to a club. One of my mates almosted pulled when he mentioned to some girl that we were going on to Newcastle the following day. She also wanted to go to Newcastle and seemed to be VERY keen on blagging a lift :-) Only problem was that she was after Nercastle Under Lyme, not unpon Tyne, so he got blown out.

We beat Newcastle, as we always seemed to to in those days, and decided to try and find a B&B on the way back. We ended up in a place near Roker beach in Sunderland and were drinking in a pub next door to Roker park. Having beaten 'the fecking Mags' we were treated like royalty.

Good weekend!
  • Chelmsford City at their old ground. Went along to watch Charlton in a friendly and ended up becoming a member of CCFC; all so that we could get a drink in their bar afterwards.
  • edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Wimbourne near Bournemouth

Tiny non-league ground, after a day out in B'mouth arrived to find Charlton fans having a kick about on the pitch. Very surreal, but good day. .

I was there - it was the tea bar they gave you tea in a proper mug. My missus couldn't believe it.

As Heath Hero says the Valencia game was fantastic experience as well despite the efforts of the mug behind us.
  • Utrecht a few seasons back. Stayed in Amsterdam for the weekend, train down to Utrecht. After the game the b**stards herded us on buses telling us they were going to take us to the station. They then proceeded to take us about half an hour outside the city to some little surburban station and dumped us there. Quite a few very unhappy fans that evening!
  • Alex (quote #45).
    If he got "Blown out" do you mean...............
  • no, you're a very naughty person :)
  • I meant did he have to-much to eat !
  • Afternoon....searched for Utrecht friendly and this came up.

Anyone good any photos they can share on here from the pre-season in 2006 (I think it was) please ?

Thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Charlton sent a 6 a side team to play at my school fete. Keith Peacock played and I seem to remember Charlie Wright playing goalkeeper cum striker!
  • Essex_Al said:

Utrecht a few seasons back. Stayed in Amsterdam for the weekend, train down to Utrecht. After the game the b**stards herded us on buses telling us they were going to take us to the station. They then proceeded to take us about half an hour outside the city to some little surburban station and dumped us there. Quite a few very unhappy fans that evening!

Should have stayed on the bus mate,the driver took us back to Utrecht just arriving in time to catch the last train back up north to Zwolle.
  • edited December 2015
    Boras AIK v Charlton, pre-season Sweden in '89

Come Feb 2008 I lived opposite the same ground.
  • The nearest I get is Kinsella playing for a veteran eleven ay my local village ground (field) in Snailbeach.
  • Oulu in Northern Finland. FC Tervarit vs Charlton pre season. Flew to Stockholm. Got absolutely hammered. Got the overnight party boat from Stockholm to Helsinki and to say it was messy is a huge understatement! Night on the beer in Helsinki and then flew North to Oulu. Wow! Back of beyond in the extreme. Epic 18hrs on the beer, before flying back to Helsinki and making the return Viking Line boat trip back to Stockholm.

Great trip.
  • Oulu in Northern Finland. FC Tervarit vs Charlton pre season. Flew to Stockholm. Got absolutely hammered. Got the overnight party boat from Stockholm to Helsinki and to say it was messy is a huge understatement! Night on the beer in Helsinki and then flew North to Oulu. Wow! Back of beyond in the extreme. Epic 18hrs on the beer, before flying back to Helsinki and making the return Viking Line boat trip back to Stockholm.

Great trip.

The beer is not cheap either.
  • Gloucester Park, Basildon. A youth side (not sure the exact age) playing against Southend. Me and my mate were the only people there that weren't with the teams. All I can remember is that one of the sides (I think them), had a player called Frog and that the only coaching to be heard was one bloke continually yelling, 'get it into the mixer'! I hope things have moved on from that.
  • Boras AIK v Charlton, pre-season Sweden in '89

Blimey I was also at the pre-season Sweden 1989. From what I can remember there were about 6 of us and all the venues of the games were kept quiet because of the 'rioting' type of fan (not CAFC) that were around at the time. We found out where some of the games were from Mark (Marcus?) Stewart I think. Can't remember the names of the venues but there was one where there were four of us in some sort of open field like place where we were treated well by the Swedes and sat on a bench at the front. I've got at least 10 programmes from that game somewhere which I bought for some unknown reason. Bob Boulder in goal. Happy days!
  • Hang on - 1989 doesn't sound right - earlier 80s I think was the one I went to in sweden
  • Boras AIK v Charlton, pre-season Sweden in '89

Blimey I was also at the pre-season Sweden 1989. From what I can remember there were about 6 of us and all the venues of the games were kept quiet because of the 'rioting' type of fan (not CAFC) that were around at the time. We found out where some of the games were from Mark (Marcus?) Stewart I think. Can't remember the names of the venues but there was one where there were four of us in some sort of open field like place where we were treated well by the Swedes and sat on a bench at the front. I've got at least 10 programmes from that game somewhere which I bought for some unknown reason. Bob Boulder in goal. Happy days!
    I collect programmes, if you have two spare please inbox me.