Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Computer luddite needs help

13»

Comments

• Options
    Blimey ! Not just Me then.....
    ;-)
  • Options
    Started a "Microsoft Safety Scanner 1.0.3001.0 32byte" scan last night at 20:55.
    At 09:35 today its still going, 5338920 files (& counting) have been scanned & 1 "File infected"....so far.
    Is this a normal length of time or is my Acer 5230E getting knackered ? (Had it nearly 3 years).
    Thank You.
  • Options
    That's a hell of a lot of files MOG. I'd use something like Piriform's CCleaner (the freebie version) to clean out all your tempoary files, cookies, index.dat files, etc. It also has a registry cleaner which might be useful but say yes to the backup option before clearing out all the junk left on your registry.
    Have you defragmented your hard drive ever? Might be worth doing. Use the windows defrag or, again, Piriform do a version called defraggler, again it's freeware.
  • Options
    Thanks cafcf:
    Am using a mates i-phone box smart thingy at the moment, so will do as you say when I get home.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Be careful with messing with the registry though, it can have drastic consequences!
  • Options

Be careful with messing with the registry though, it can have drastic consequences!

Bloody hell KHA ! Don't leave us hanging after a threat like that .

• Options

Bloody hell KHA ! Don't leave us hanging after a threat like that .

Removing certain entries can corrupt the operating system.
    To be honest most casual users shouldn't need to ever amend the registry.
    A few incorrect pointers will not effect performance.
    Certainly avaoid these super utility programs which clain to fix/maintain your registry. Have had to repair many a windows install due to this.

• Options
    It's not one thing. The registry is like a database that stores settings for lots of things. If something is changed it can prevent the some of the essential programs from running in the same way. It can also make subtle changes that you won't know about for weeks or even months until you go to do something and it will just not work anymore.

I'm not an IT professional, and it's a long time since I finished my degree in IT, but we were always told not to mess with the registry.
  • Options
    Should put that on a tee shirt. "Don't mess with the registry"
  • Options
    yes I can confirm leave well alone if you don't know exactly what you're doing..

msconfig is a nice tool to run from the run box, will help you deselect dodgy stuff from startup, try and remember what you did so you can put it back though as you can mess some things up this way, but nothing compared to the registry..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    now....in English, Please ?
  • Options
    I use a programming called Glarey utilities on my PC,s and find it keeps them running smoothly and is free to down load and update and is a 1 click fix.
  • Options

now....in English, Please ?

The registry is like a note book that lists where your wife keeps your clothes. If you delete sections of it you may never be able to find your belts again - the end result is that as soon as you step out of the house your trousers will fall down.

Also in the registry (or the note book) is the date each year that you need to send your late grandmother a birthday card. This information is no longer needed (as your late grandmother has now passed on), but if you don't know what you are doing you will think you are removing your late grandmothers birthday card reminder from your note book then the next thing you know you are in a newsagents buying a paper and your trousers will fall down!

This is why it is best left alone. Trouser-less newspaper purchases are, somewhat, frowned on these days!
  • Options
    Many thanks kha, but, how do you know about me and the newsagents episode ?