Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

+++++++++++Takeover off - confirmed+++++++++(Zabeel, old thread)

Comments

• Just thinking these people are usually concerned about their reputation above most other things, so perhaps the shit really is hitting the fan back in arabia, seems puzzling thought that they wouldn't have known this and the situation in the uk 2 weeks ago.
  • Now the takeover is off does anybody now if we are intitled to a Fee from them for breaking it off?.
  • emotional trauma
  • Someone has just knicked my rose tinted glasses, bast**d!
    I never had the chance to wear them!
    Anyone else lost theirs?

The rollercoaster has broken completely!

Ah well, this is Charlton as we know it!
  • I'm worried about our future, we're £20m in debt with not parachute payments next season.

We'll be getting rid of players like Weaver just to cut the wage bill, which means the young players will get their chance.

We could be playing Dagenham & Redbridge in the league next season. Doesn't feel like it was long ago we played them as a Premier League club while they were a Conference club.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I'm worried about our future, we're £20m in debt with not parachute payments next season.

My source says the debt thing isn't as bad as some think
  • spurs are ripe for being taken over by zabeel.
  • edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite] My source says the debt thing isn't as bad as some think

Bad enough, will be even worse if we get relegated.
  • I'm a bit 'meh' about the debt thing too. Almost all clubs that go down from the prem end up in serious debt if they don't go straight back up. Our exposure will be a lot smaller since we were reasonably financially prudent whilst we were up anyway, and the business (not football - business) decisions taken since then have obviously been made with the view that we may not get promoted this season or any time soon. Can't see us struggling to stay afloat - and if we do it will be because football as a whole struggles, not because we're any worse off than any other club in the chumpionship.

I never wanted Leo Messi down here anyway...
  • The board never planned anything like a relegation battle in the Championship though. They must have expected we could get mid table at least.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I'm worried about our future, we're £20m in debt with not parachute payments next season.

My source says the debt thing isn't as bad as some think

funny that my source said the same LOL
  • edited October 2008
    As others have said, nothing ever came easy to Charlton. This was too good to be true and Dubai is an accident waiting to happen (TM)

Although I'm very dubious on Zabeel's reasoning, nothing financially has changed at the club - there are plenty of others ahead of us in the administration queue that is for sure. Murray has always said he will only sell to the right people. He cannot be blamed for opening the books to Zabeel. I do hope him or Derek "I can't stop talking" Chappell make further comment today though, think we deserve that.

However, as I just wrote on my blog, I will be there on Saturday week as will thousands Saturday at home to Burnley who supported this club when it was shit. If the moaners and glory seekers bugger off somewhere else, well then perhaps we can get back to supporting the team, because they sure need it.
  • As I'd got used to the idea and was quite positive about it all so long as certain things were in place (currnet board members etc) I'm disappointed.

However if we believe what we're told, this is the second football club this lot have dabbled in, given strong positive signals to, only to walk away. Do we really our club in such hands? I certainly don't.

Tough times ahead friends but the club remains CAFC through and through, which can only make us stronger.
  • I was looking forward to them beheading Pardew at half time against Burnley on Sat. nevermind hey, looks the hard work from 25 years ago has to start again. Bring it on!
    Up the Addicks
  • "Feel sick", "gutted", "kicked in the stomach", "laughing stock", "doomed". Blimey, I think some of you need to take a reality check. Nobody died, nobody got relegated and nobody was exciled to Selhurst. Yes, it's disappointing, but it's not the end of the world is it? In reality, except for a couple of poor performances on the pitch we are no worse off than we were a fortnight ago.

Sure, it's gonna be a struggle. Sure, money's tight. Sure, we've got limited options for making short term improvements. But that is the reality for the majority of clubs not just us. What we have got is a good prudent board and a fan base that has demonstrated it's commitment in far darker times than this. That is better than many clubs can claim.

I think the real trouble is not that we are doomed and not that people will take the piss (though I guess the stripey Nigels will be enjoying their day). The real trouble that we have are unrealistic expectations and a surfeit of chicken counters.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]"Feel sick", "gutted", "kicked in the stomach", "laughing stock", "doomed". Blimey, I think some of you need to take a reality check. Nobody died, nobody got relegated and nobody was exciled to Selhurst. Yes, it's disappointing, but it's not the end of the world is it? In reality, except for a couple of poor performances on the pitch we are no worse off than we were a fortnight ago.

Sure, it's gonna be a struggle. Sure, money's tight. Sure, we've got limited options for making short term improvements. But that is the reality for the majority of clubs not just us. What we have got is a good prudent board and a fan base that has demonstrated it's commitment in far darker times than this. That is better than many clubs can claim.

I think the real trouble is not that we are doomed and not that people will take the piss (though I guess the stripey Nigels will be enjoying their day). The real trouble that we have are unrealistic expectations and a surfeit of chicken counters.

Yeah, I totally agree with this, I am over it. Just going to have to face the stick that I know I am going to get. If we win on Saturday I will be buzzing again and looking forward to Tuesday.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]The real trouble that we have are unrealistic expectations and a surfeit of chicken counters.

Definitely need to lower expectations, the players show they feel like they're under a lot of pressure to get promoted.
  • الرجل فإن قوارب النجاة what does that say?
  • Very funny Dazzler, I don't think we'll be needing any lifeboats.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]الرجل فإن قوارب النجاة what does that say?[/quote]

?
  • Sponsored links:

• My seven year old is devasted because we're now not going to buy David Beckham. I'm going to have to buy him a DS game to cheer him up.

The dream is dead...Long live the dream
  • expectations of promotion, poor things how do they cope..
  • Their loss not ours.
    Chins up.
  • Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh PENIS.

Ah well. It's gonna be a tough tine for the next few years but, you have to get through the bad times to enjoy the good. Obviously I'm disappointed. But, let's roll, and we should sack Pardew, the retard. Any one of us would do a better job I think - and I've daydreamed one hell of a lot about this... I'd work for next to nothing compared to Pardew.
  • I'm surprised how unbothered I am with this. All in all, I agree with everyone taking the "still our club", "still Charlton" and "in retrospect, did we really want this investment anyway" approaches. Obviously, the PR hit isn't the greatest, but I'm still optimistic that this will turn out for the best. Now, to win a couple in a row to at least defer the relegation talk!
  • Quite simply, it feels like you've won the lottery and then you discover you've lost your ticket.

Totally and utterly gutted.
  • Something like this was always gouing to happen to us.

Fall in a big barrel of tits and come out sucking our thumb!!!
  • edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]
    Whose laughing now ?

*Cough cough*

I thought it was you GH?
  • What we now need is the manager & players to get together & proove Zabeel wrong - to get stuck in & play with skill, pride, heart & passion.

Is that gonna happen??

Ho hum.
  • yeah stick semedo in at left back moo2 right, all our problems solved.