Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gary Johnson quote on Charlton's support

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
"It will take a lot of passion, commitment and a lot of good play to go and get something from our game at Charlton. They always start well, but then the crowd can get on top of them if they don't score in the opening 20 minutes."

What a sad way to be portrayed to the wider footballing community. We used to always say the same thing about Millwall when things weren't going well, and now it seems we are no better.

We have been rubbish through large chunks of our history. Why now has the fabric and strength of our 'support' changed so much ??

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2008
    That's crap!
    The moans and groans never take as long as 20 mins to start. Even in those games this season where we have taken an early lead. Really effs me off!
  • Options
    As I said on the other thread, it must be in every teams scouting report, keep it tight for 20 minutes, and the supporters go all arsey in a Tottenham type way.

It's pathetic, really is.
  • Options
    20 minutes? At recent games i've heard moans and groans when the teams been announced!
  • Options
    I've got a clock on how long it takes someone to come up with the old cliches about everyone being entailed to their opinion and 'I pay my money to be a negative chunt at games'
  • Options
    I actually think the comparison to Spurs fans is pretty unfair to be honest. The couple of times i've seen Spuds on the telly, Pompey and Stoke away, their following have been vocally excellent.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I actually think the comparison to Spurs fans is pretty unfair to be honest. The couple of times i've seen Spuds on the telly, Pompey and Stoke away, their following have been vocally excellent.

There away support is pretty good, at WHL it's not all that and gets on the sides back quicker then we do, likewise I didn't hear too many boos from the support at Cardiff on Saturday
  • Options
    A lot of people seem to get off by criticising our support which is a shame.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with it at Selhurst, watching what was the poorest performance I've seen in a long, long time.

Have only been to Reading at home this season as can't do Saturday 3pm's so looking forward to the game tonight and hoping that both the team and the crowd confound the doubters
  • Options
    Maybe some people think they are supposed to Boo?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I've got a clock on how long it takes someone to come up with the old cliches about everyone being entailed to their opinion and 'I pay my money to be a negative chunt at games'

aw ! I was gonna SAY that !

Whats a "Chunt at games?".
  • Options
    I think if the fans really thought it would make a difference like it used to do then they would get 100% behind the team. To be fair even when we do sing our loudest now (Which still isnt as loud as it used to be) the team still doesnt react. The crowd was crap against Reading and we played great, the crowd was good (ish) against Ipswich and the team was still crap (even though it was a good game to watch).

I dunno, I dont think the crowd means anything to the players we have down there at this moment in time, not ilke it used to, there is no bond ala Robbo, Kins, Hunt, Youds, Deano.

I honestly think the best argument to turn this around would be to open the Jimmy Seed to home supporters, until this does happen then the atmosphere will NEVER improve or get back to they way it was7/8 years ago no matter how good we become as the ground will be full of plastics. IMO
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    this happens at every football club its just the way it is when things aint going well fans get pi---d off and get at the players hope we go a couple up early and we get the atmosphere going inside the valley 2nite come on you reds.
  • Options
    Because the staff earn SO much more than they used to (and don't have to do picture framing etc), that's definitely one of the reasons. When they are percieved as not trying then people are far less tolerant.

Not just us, but football in General, but, as our core support is low (see away attendances), there ARE more plastics, therefore we are one of the worst for it.

SING UP!

AND SING UP EVEN IF WE GO 1-0 DOWN!!!

Plus no player rapport anymore /songs about players/ favourites who give their all etc definitely increases the divide.

PLUS!! The bloody Jimmy Seed being much louder, and full of away fans up for it.

Put all that together and that's kind of what we have.
  • Options
    Er, I have to totally disagree with this ....
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Go one Riscardo, fulfill us with your wisdom :-)

Just to clarify on Kinveachy's point 'people seem to get off by criticising our support which is a shame' - I know where you're coming from fella, and sometimes feel the same. But that's certainly not my intention.

To be honest, i've always been just as interested in the singing, atmosphere, crowd interaction, than i am the standard of the football, or even the result. Probably more so to be honest. I go to games primarily to have a laugh, meet mates and have a good old sing song. What's happening on the pitch rarely completely influences that. I was never really bothered whether a player is earning 5k a week or 5 quid, and i'm not that bothered now.

There appeared years ago that a lot of folk held similar values. Now, most people seem to be so into 'the result' that its the be all or end all of their enjoyment, and impacts completely on whether they get behind the side or not.

I'm as disappointed and frustrated as everyone on here with the current situation, and last few years. But i also know i'll be there tonight trying to do my bit to encourage the team on, not get on its back, regardless of what is happening on the pitch.
  • Options
    A lot has to do with the change in our status ofver the years. before we were a Prem club what was our average gate 8 / 10 thou, used to the goosd and the bad of our performances. Its not like we were battering at the door of the Prem for years, like say Ipswich. Then we got to the Prem and we raised expectations of fans bringing our average attendances up to 27,000. we did not expect to go down, which dissapointed the new fans but expectations rose that we would be champions winning every game, but it has not happened and the fans are voicing their disspointment not at indiviudul games but the overall let down of the premise that they joined us, we were a top club who would get as many points as were needed in the Prem or if the unlikely were to happen then steam roll the Championship. tie this up with over paid players, the instant gratification mentallity of sociaety today and you get disgruntlement after 5 minutes.
  • Options
    Posted this elsewhere as well:

From Mick McCarthy (kind of relevant):

The Wolves boss is delighted by the attitude of the overwhelming majority of the club's fans, but insists he would be happy if those who booed Keogh, who was playing in an unfamiliar left-sided position against Coventry, never came back to Molineux.

"Our fans have been fantastic this year, but anyone who turns up to boo my players... don't turn up," McCarthy told Wolves World.

He continued: "I understand frustrations. My frustrations are there as well. But don't boo your own players. It's barmy. It's not helping.
  • Options
    I would have thought that that quote could be aimed at most clubs in the country. Isn't it standard tactics away from home to keep it tight and let the opposition team/fans get frustrated?

Don't we have enough problems without fans taking any random quote as an oppertunity to dig each other out?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: boggzy[/cite]s our core support is low (see away attendances), there ARE more plastics,

This is rubbish I'm afraid. You can't dismiss our home support, bar the core 4 or 500 who regularly go away as "plastics". Many of the biggest whingers around me at the Valley have been fans for donkey's years.

If you wanted to hear moaning, you should have heard the moaners in the 1960's & 70's . "Glicksten out", almost every game, "sack the board". "I never coming back to watch this bloody rubbish again" and many others. This had hugely to do with our fall from the top flight and the gradual decline of the club. People remember the good times and it colours their entire experience when things aren't going well. The same is the case now. The fact is that most fans don't deal with a perceived lack of success well and some cannot hide their disappointment. I don't think it's just a Tottenham thing either, they just have a huge chip on their shoulder about Arsenal which makes it worse for them.

Personally I hate people slagging off the players/manager and booing the team but those who don't, need to stand up (metaphorically) and be counted and we can drown out the nay sayers.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I've got a clock on how long it takes someone to come up with the old cliches about everyone being entailed to their opinion and 'I pay my money to be a negative chunt at games'
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]As I said on the other thread, it must be in every teams scouting report, keep it tight for 20 minutes, and the supporters go all arsey in a Tottenham type way.

Oh contrare rodney oh contrare
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    "It will take a lot of passion, commitment and a lot of good play to go and get something from our game at Charlton. They always start well, but then the crowd can get on top of them if they don't score in the opening 20 minutes." - Gary Johnson, Bristol City manager

...I wonder if we could have this on the jumbo-tastic plasmatron screen throughout the match?

Be lovely to see Varney race over and point to it just after he's scissor-kicked us into a 3-0 lead!

I'm being serious though. Forget all the 'Fiiiissshhh' stuff. Let's use this as a motivational tool for the fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A lot of it has to do with sky, they have to over inflate games to try and drum up viewing figures, so every game is described as a "crunch game" or "six pointer" or "relegation dogfight", etc. The importance of each game is hyped far beyond the reality so is it any wonder the fans, especially those who know nothing of the pre-sky period, don't buy into this "every result is vital" mentality.

This instance by the media that the result of every game is life or death and the continuing divide between the fans and the players leads to fans going to game thinking that a win must be delivered and quickly, and that those over-paid primadonnas should be capable of doing it in the first 10 minutes (how many times do you hear commentators say the first 10-20 is vital, the more simple minded fans thinks that means we should be winning and playing the oppo off the pitch within that timescale)
  • Options
    Lets be honest our support is shite - bar about maybe 200 odd people, who make up for a couple of thousand mind!!!

I'm thinking of starting a chant of "we only sing when we're winning" tonight, think it will go down as well as at wemberly when the boo boys started on cole!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]As I said on the other thread, it must be in every teams scouting report, keep it tight for 20 minutes, and the supporters go all arsey in a Tottenham type way.

I'll think you'll find that the Spurs fans get 110% behind their team during the game.
    They'll only boo at the Half Time and Full Time whistle's as and when needed (more so this season than any other!)

By all means, feel free to slag our team but you cant fault our support.
  • Options
    I think our home support - boos apart - has generally been as good this season as it has for quite a while.
  • Options
    let's prove Johnson wrong by not letting the J blockers into the ground until 21mins after kick off!
  • Options
    John Boy's point is a good one.
    Spurs support for their team during games has been amazing this season - Wigan at home springs to mind as does Sunday when they packed their end and made plenty of noise.

I think I'm correct in stating that last season they sold their full allocation at every away game - more than either Arsenal or Chelsea did. Only Man U, Liverpool and possibly Newcastle do that...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]

I think I'm correct in stating that last season they sold their full allocation at every away game - more than either Arsenal or Chelsea did. Only Man U, Liverpool and possibly Newcastle do that...

That makes their current posistion all the funnier to me.
  • Options
    If the Spurs support at WHL has swung round then great, good on them
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]This is rubbish I'm afraid. You can't dismiss our home support, bar the core 4 or 500 who regularly go away as "plastics". Many of the biggest whingers around me at the Valley have been fans for donkey's years.

I'm not dismissing everyone bar people that go away (some of which are just as bad), far from it. But I do think there is a sizeable element at the valley who, if they don't get instant gratification, seem to be completely, well, it comes across to me like they're a bit like 'glory boys', but then again, why would they still be here.

I think you raise a good point though, Bing, I haven't been through this before, as we've been shite>>>>better>>>>good and now falling apart while I've been a supporter, so I haven't really seen things tumble down quite this way before.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: boggzy[/cite]I think you raise a good point though, Bing, I haven't been through this before, as we've been shite>>>>better>>>>good and now falling apart while I've been a supporter, so I haven't really seen things tumble down quite this way before.

It certainly makes me somewhat philosphical. I think that it's very hard to characterise support one way or another. I sit in the East, people round me sing VFR and other things. On the other hand the "bloke behind" me moans his a*se off and alot of people are quiet - that sums up fans to me, a cross section. I think that most fans, even those relatively recent joiners have a deep seated worry that every thing is going to go tits up, consequently when it starts to, there is a kind of audible collective groan.