Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sid Cheesewright

Comments

• edited October 2008
    He did say he was looking forward to helping organise the next social event and was in two minds whether it should be a whist drive or a tea dance.
  • "It's an absolute disgrace that Bromley branch have players going there (as per our previous whisper Henry!). If I had a branch I would demand the entire first team squad, all of the board and the exhumed remaions of Lucky the Cat visit our small social club on a wet Tuesday night where there is nowhere for them to park their large vehicles - obviously favouritism being applied here - I'm going to write to someone and shout a lot on the phone:)"

LOL They could always have got off their arses and organised their own guests like we did/do instead of getting all silly and envious but then when you think who we are talking about why am I not surprised.
  • edited October 2008
    Roland is getting on it's true but he's a super chap a real gentleman...he used to be a member of the old Vice Presidents Club and ran a very succesful family business for many years.
    Has a son (tall and another strawberry blond like you Ben), who is also Charlton through and through.Despite his age he wont let you down I'm sure.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]He left early to watch the second half of the England U21s. I don't know why he bothered coming as he spent the first session reading his newspaper noisly - after his questions on interest bearing sporting accounts was knocked back by Mark.

How do you read a newspaper 'loudly'? Come to think of it, we are talking about Syd here so that's quite possible I suppose!
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]I'd lay evens that your new committee member won't make the next meeting.

I'm sure I heard him talking about digging out The Valley when he was younger.

I had a fiver with AFKA he won't have to be re-elected.There was a woman not too far from Soundasa£ who done the crossword all night she obviously found your conversation a little too much mate ;-)
  • edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]He used to charge about 50p for a mars bar about 15 years ago !

If you were lucky, he might have sold you a Yorkie bar as well.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]He used to charge about 50p for a mars bar about 15 years ago !

If you were lucky he might have sold you a Yorkie bar as well.

Another classic i once heard about syd was when the supporters coach came back from Sunderland, and he stopped the coach at Thurrock services, because he was entiled to a break and was not going to break the law. Hence, he was the only one to get off the coach.
  • It was my first time at the Bromley branch. Sid was well worth my £7 membership.
    The world would be a poorer place without the likes of him.
  • edited October 2008
    did you get talked into buying the branch cardigan,i managed to dodge that one ;-)
  • hmm, 7 X 70 & £15 - the total of the first figure ~ 12.5% X Z= t-sq ?

£15 "profit" ? You need new accountants. ;-).
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]hmm, 7 X 70 & £15 - the total of the first figure ~ 12.5% X Z= t-sq ?

£15 "profit" ? You need new accountants. ;-).

We are quite happy with the creativity of the ones we have thank you!
  • edited May 2019
    Anyone seen or heard of him lately......I wonder how the wonderful old eccentric is nowadays and if he’ll be around for the playoffs and (all being well), Wembley?
  • Last I heard, he had not been well
  • edited May 2019
    Last I heard, he had not been well
    Yes, I had heard the same.........but that was a while back.
    Great going back over this thread by the way and having a few laughs.....I started it in 2008, doesn’t seem possible!
  • An eleven-year bump?  Bloody hell.  

@paulie8290 may I hold your beer? 
  • Worth a bump I think…..thread originally from 2008….doesn’t seem possible!
    Always good to read the comments about one of the most bizarre yet held in high regard eccentric’s ever to be an Addick, a complete one off.
    Anyone got a new story to add?
  • Aways in the 70/80s. Syd, Treadgold and Wally. Legends.
  • BDL said:
    More like Harry Enfield.

[cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]Syd Cheesewright, the guy that used to drive coaches/buses? and always wore his badge to away games on the coach?

Free lunch at some service stations if you bring a coach in. So Syd would stop at the service station where he got a free meal not where everyone else wanted to stop.

Go by car, oh yes I do.

That's why we always stopped at Watford Gap!

Didn't the supporters club ban Sid from Driving coaches at one stage.
    Replying to a 14 year old post..  

There was/is a pub about a 5 minute walk from Watford gap services, it was 3 minute run back with 3 pints in 20 minutes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Aways in the 70/80s. Syd, Treadgold and Wally. Legends.
    They were legends to me in the 90s.  Bill and Wally's coach :-)

I was right behind Wally in the queue to get into the stadium of light.  Me and my mate were having pre match pints in O'Neil's near Covent Garden before the play off final that season and had a toast for him and a tear in our eyes.
  • Used to travel by the specials and valley coaches back in the day.

Must know this guy. Has anyone got a picture of him...

Tall thin guy, normally well dressed in jacket and trousers.

So the opposite of you 🤷‍♂️
     :D:D  

• Syd was my tutor at Croydon College when I did my Certificate in Management Studies in the early 80’s.  Was real old school teacher.  Never once mentioned Charlton.  maybe cos it was Croydon…spoke to him once outside ground in early 2000s - didn’t remember me!
  • That reminds me of a front cover of VOTV
    photo of car maintenance class said to be Syd. Never did find out but it of course could have been Airman Brown on a leg pull?
  • edited December 2022
    CafcWest said:
    Syd was my tutor at Croydon College when I did my Certificate in Management Studies in the early 80’s.  Was real old school teacher.  Never once mentioned Charlton.  maybe cos it was Croydon…spoke to him once outside ground in early 2000s - didn’t remember me!
    Snap! Did you have to go to Worthing for the residential course?