Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich - Post match views

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
add all thoughts here please, ta muchly

Comments

• Options
    Thought the Ref had a good game ....

NOT
  • Options
    ood game to watch, both sides tried to play football in windy conditions and we edged it over the 90 mins.

Good save from Weaver from the header but not much else to do other than watch the ball hit the bar twice.

We had the rub of the green with what looked like a soft free kick for the goal and then the own goal but it's about time.

Losing Bailey really showed how much we need him there. Semedo did well when coming on and showed, IMHO, that he should have come on in the middle instead of Holland.

Primus and Hudson did OK, Youga was aggressive and tried to link up with Bouazza. Buzz was frustrating but sort of scored and was dangerous.

Cranie didn't look terrible but he wasn't great and Jose was a big improvement. Even got forward well which is not really his game.

Zi Zi started well, lost the plot a bit when Bailey went off, did some good stuff but looked like a player just back from injury who tired quickly. Same for Toddy.

Varney was my MOTM. Working so hard up front, might have got a pen (was it inside or out anyone?) while Ambrose did some good stuff.

Gray did OK when he came on.

Was good that for once we didn't look under huge pressure in the last 10 mins when winning.

Campo is still class. Interesting that we stood off and tried to block the recipiants rather than close him down after Bailey went off. Good that Lisbie got more claps than boos.

A few people booed around me at half time. Why? We were doing OK and not losing. Seems it is a habit.

20600 ish crowd. More Ipswich than Sheff Wed but looked like less Charlton as well. Maybe a few season ticket holders didn't turn up but still got counted.

The Ref was just odd. Buzz's booking was fair enough but nothing for the foul on Varney when he was breaking into the box.

Not all doom and gloom and no defeat to moan about so I guess there will be few posts on this thread. Not a convincing win but a good win all the same. Onward and hopefully upward.
  • Options
    great to see Todorov starting and thought he was a class apart when he was on the pitch...if he stays fit the play offs may be a reality i guess. Ambrose ball for our second goal was superb & Holland & Varney ran their hearts out all afternoon again. Well done lads, lets hope this can be the start of a little run of results...
  • Options
    Weaver assured as ever bar some kicking but he wind did not help

Youga had a poor first half in IMHO and marginally improved in the second half. His failure to put in a challenge led to their first goal and he was often got behind/worng footed. Cranie was at sixes and sevens putting the centre halves under pressure. Semedo steadied the RB berth and the back four his overlapping was a joy.

Top marks for Holland. Must have come as a blow to be dropped against your old team. Was here there and everywhere after replacing the impressive Bailey. Hopefully he can get fit over the international break.

Ambrose offered quality than Sam, Bouazza frustrates.

Varney worked his socks off and desreved a goal, was a pen but it will be clearer on the Championship 2 moro where we are the featured game.

Overall it was good to see a lot less humping of long ball upfield. we played some good football today and well done Pardew for having the balls to bring in Ambrose, ZZ, Todorov. Semedo has nailed the RB berth surely. Need a little bit more on the left hand side. Promising and an enjoyable game and result
  • Options
    in brief .....

Youga was at fault for the goal as he can't head and was targeted

Hudson back to his best. Assured strong and read the game well
    Primus same

Crainey weak. Moo2 and Semedo miles better

Zz, holland - good energy
    Ambrose - lightweight but his crossing and delivery are often superb
    Buzz - men! Weak tackling and not willing to attack enough

Toddy- WAY off the pace. Was carried by .....

VARNEY - superb. Did the work of two men. Energy aggression and even won some headers. MOTM by a mile
  • Options
    Thought Henry was harsh on Holland who was my MOM along with Varney. Could be the end of Cranie for a while, Semedo took his chance with both hands I thought. Bailey is important though and hope he's fit next game. All in all a reasonable and committed performance.
  • Options
    it was a hard fought win in difficult conditions. surely people will find it hard to moan about it - but then again, who am I kidding!
  • Options
    Hudson fantastic
    Semedo best right back in the club at mom
    Varney superb
    Holland. true pro, dropped, comes on after 20 and puts in a super performance
    Youga and Bouazza either want to play together or not at all.
    Ambrose, in and out
    ZZ, needed the game, will be much better next time

Thought it was a mirror image of Tuesday. We played ok and won, Ipswich played poorly and deserved to lose. First Ipswich side in memory who wanted to kick more than play football.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Latimer[/cite]we are the featured game.

HOORAY! At last.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Varney was my MOTM. Working so hard up front, might have got a pen (was it inside or out anyone?) .

The Ipswich commentators said it was a penalty so I guess it must have been. They also commentated on his fabulous work-rate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CHGCHG
    edited October 2008
    Varney, was immense, anyone who says otherwise knows nothing about football.
  • Options
    Varney superb.
    ZZ bottled too many challenges/headers which is not like him at all. I'm sure he is just short of match fitness etc.
    Toddy looks good like he did at the begining of last season, let's he lasts longer this year.
    Holland worked very hard.
    Ambrose, should be starting all the time IMO, the bloke is quality.
    Weaver a hero.
    Primus and Mr 'udson seem to have built a (Mrs) bridge(s) across the back, hopefully this will help us maintain a move up(stairs) rather than down(stairs) the table.
    Bailey, just hope his injury is not too serious, he just looks like what we have been missing on midfiled for too long.
    Gray looked far more confident coming on than when he starts.
    Youga and Buoz have an understanding, that when they both understand it at the same time, will provide some fantastic moments for us.
    The ref was just inconsistant, he played some very good advantages for both sides when other fussy ones would have blown up. Like the way he left the Ipswich player lying in their box. The little bald linno got all the offsides right but bottled everything else apart from a stupid handball against us.
    Today was the sort of match I have been hoping to experience week in week out in the 2nd Division of English football. Exciting stuff played by two teams who both wanted to win. The best match for me since Ipswich at home last year - I was on holiday for the Reading game.
  • Options
    Pleased with the result and thought Varney and Holland were excellent, with a decent half from Semedo too.

Ref was terrible. looked a pen from behind the goal-Not even a foul given for the assault on Bouazza - NO Ipswich bookings(??!) - Gray booked, presumably for standing on the same pitch as an Ipswich player who is allowed to shove the opposition - various other 50/50 decisions always seemed to go Ipswich's way.

As far as our lot were concerned, I thought there were 4 players that were awful today:
    Youga, Cranie, Zheng and Todorov. Can't believe valleyman's assessment of Toddy, I thought his movement was nonexistant - I grant you he made a few decent touches, but that was about it. I'm sure he'll improve with match sharpness. Same goes for Zheng. He looked like he was new to this level. He can only get better too. Youga seems to have the potential to form a decent partnership down the left with Bouazza, but it's just not clicking often enough at the mo. As for Cranie, I simply don't see what he brings to the side. Haven't seen him have a good game yet.

Still, mustn't grumble eh!!
  • Options
    Semedo was excellent as he has been when playing right back this season. He defends 1st of all that is a job of a right back. We are still a bit 'bity' in places i.e running into trouble when a simple switch ball would be better option. If he doesnt start next game then Pards is mad.

Hudson and Primus looked great.

Youga not very good at all teams are starting to target him. Passes going astray positioning poor.

Ambrose in and out of the game should get more involved.

Bailey looked good until he was hacked down.

Varney was my man of the match. Running all over the place rolling defenders. If we had a creative midfielder then he could be a star.

Todorov was clearly not fit the guy couldnt move around the pitch.

ZZ not fit yet looked better when Bailey was on the pitch.

Holland made a couple of tackles !!!

One thing that stands out is that none of our strikers had a clear cut chance this seems to be a problem at the moment.

Team that needs additonal players to it.

Weaver
    Semedo, Rock, Primus, *******
    ******, Bailey, ******, ******
    Varney, ****** (Maybe Gray)
  • Options
    Varney was easily the best player on the pitch. If anyone deserves a goal he does. Holland was fantastic, as was Bailey up to his departure.

Ref was pathetic, as was the slaphead lino.

Mystery question is, how was that £20k? It looked as empty as palace on Tuesday.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Varney superb.
    ZZ bottled too many challenges/headers which is not like him at all. I'm sure he is just short of match fitness etc.
    Toddy looks good like he did at the begining of last season, let's he lasts longer this year.
    Holland worked very hard.
    Ambrose, should be starting all the time IMO, the bloke is quality.
    Weaver a hero.
    Primus and Mr 'udson seem to have built a (Mrs) bridge(s) across the back, hopefully this will help us maintain a move up(stairs) rather than down(stairs) the table.
    Bailey, just hope his injury is not too serious, he just looks like what we have been missing on midfiled for too long.
    Gray looked far more confident coming on than when he starts.
    Youga and Buoz have an understanding, that when they both understand it at the same time, will provide some fantastic moments for us.
    The ref was just inconsistant, he played some very good advantages for both sides when other fussy ones would have blown up. Like the way he left the Ipswich player lying in their box. The little bald linno got all the offsides right but bottled everything else apart from a stupid handball against us.
    Today was the sort of match I have been hoping to experience week in week out in the 2nd Division of English football. Exciting stuff played by two teams who both wanted to win. The best match for me since Ipswich at home last year - I was on holiday for the Reading game.
    Agree with most of that except (a) you are too kind on Todorov, who was good when the ball came to him but didn't seem to work very hard to get it and (b) Semedo was excellent and surprised but very pleased to see some good attacking play from him too, should be starting every game, as should Ambrose who put Tuesday behind him with quality play that p*sses all over Sam and Bouazza.
  • Options
    I am sorry I omitted any comments about Jose, indeed he was good and should start.
  • Options
    Needed the 3 points badly so would have taken a win no matter how we played, but was a good second half performance. Varney was MOM, with Hudson and Primus very strong at the back, and Ambrose played better the longer the game went on. Only real downside to the game (apart from the pathetic booing at half time) was the injury to Bailey. Fingers crossed not to bad.

Jose played well at Right Back and should be kept there for the Cardiff game
  • Options
    Message to Rothko:

Can we please have a flag that says 'support Charlton and leave the booing to the pussies'
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Ref was pathetic, as was the slaphead lino.

There has been worse refs. He did give the two decisions that mattered.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlie Block[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Ref was pathetic, as was the slaphead lino.

There has been worse refs. He did give the two decisions that mattered.

Is that you being positive? Nothing to moan about?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Message to Rothko:

Can we please have a flag that says 'support Charlton and leave the booing to the pussies'

I'll certainly support that. The anti Youga sentiment is lunacy. He played a pass that ran down the touchline and the c**tstick next to me started ranting... just as it evaded the Ipswich right back and ran onto Boo! That's the thing with people who don't understand the game, they'll have an opinion formed for them and they'll stick to it, regardless.

Matey complained that it was cold and he had to leave before the end. 2 - 1 up in a crucial and exciting match. And it's our players that lack commitment, huh? I told him he should have brought his vest.
  • Options
    I agree with pretty much all Henry said. The ref was pants. A Colchester fan phoned Five Live to sing the praises of Mr Singh who was their ref today. Oh for him every week rather than the procession of muppets we've had.
  • Options
    I am glad to say where I sat in the north upper that we all stayed to the end and sang our hearts out, great result, they were on the back of 6 games unbeaten. Samedo was immense
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Message to Rothko:

I'll certainly support that. The anti Youga sentiment is lunacy. He played a pass that ran down the touchline and the c**tstick next to me started ranting... just as it evaded the Ipswich right back and ran onto Boo! That's the thing with people who don't understand the game, they'll have an opinion formed for them and they'll stick to it, regardless.

Matey complained that it was cold and he had to leave before the end. 2 - 1 up in a crucial and exciting match. And it's our players that lack commitment, huh? I told him he should have brought his vest.
    LMFAO - 'c**tstick' - that's quality. Describes the pillock sitting behind me in the East today perfectly.
  • Options
    Amazing, this has to be a first. Everyone pretty much agrees on how the players performed, including me.
    Hopefully Pards does and we keep Semedo in for Cranie, Ambrose in for Sam and ZZ in for Holland. Toddy will probably stay in for Gray.
  • Options
    for once we actually grinded it out which made me quite happy , so i went and had a good booze on saturday night , ref and officials yet again dreadful ,semedo did ok when he came on , lets just hope we keep the same spirit in the games coming up and hopefully we can get back up in contention.
  • Options
    Though Ambrose and ZZ made a massive difference, added a huge dollop of quality to the midfield and we looked better for it, hopefully the Ginger Ninja is going to be fit for Cardiff, and I think we can get a move on.

Semedo a great player, I know people are banging on abotu Moo2, but when you're struggling you want to be defensively sound, and Jose first and foremost is a quality defender.
  • Options
    Semedo is too good to leave out I think, but it has been a struggle to fit him in recently, on the basis of that 45 minutes he has the nailed right back spot. We should be thinking of Cranie as centre-half backup from now on.
  • Options
    Wasn't there but sounds likes a decent performance.

Have to agree that Semedo is a quality player and I would like to see him and ZZ (two of our best players technically among the first names on the team sheet each week).

Looking at the results and the table it's clear Wolves are not as great as some on here were claiming.

Brum will win the league as they have strength in depth and will grind out 1-0 wins throughout the winter but 2nd spot and the four play-off places are there for the taking.

No reason why we can't be right up there in the mixer so long as Pardew picks the right team now he pretty much has a full squad to choose from.

Looking forward to Bristol City at home. Will be a good test of whether we are starting to get the balance right.