Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I want my Charlton back

edited September 2008 in General Charlton
the Charlton team & spirit of yesteryear

when you knew that the 11 on the pitch would put heart & soul into every run & tackle

the likes of robbo & newts on the wings - not the best of wingers but knew how to put a cross in

the likes of whitey,nelse & sir clive - not superstars but strikers who knew where the goal was.

the games of the early 80's and mid 90's - we may lose quite a few but at least we actually tried shooting once n a while.

watching this cr*p every week is making go mad..........someone wake me up & tell me its all been a bad dreem.

Comments

• rose tinted glasses, you are simply remembering the good times and forgetting the rubbish games that went with it.
  • edited September 2008
    those years were shit(for quality of football) , thankfully i was pissed for most of them.... the real quality football was under curbs but unfortunately that wasn't good enough for some and errrrm look what we've got now without doubt the worst standard of football since the early curbs/gritt era but then stating the truth offends some!!
  • sorry, I disagree.

the last 2 seasons under Curbs was dire - and no-one forced him out, he left on his own accord. The board wanted him to sign a longer contract & he wanted to see his 1 year out and then leave. Read his book.

he is gone, he is history.

we are stuck with Pardew. I dont think the board will get rid of him & he wont walk.
  • if the last 2 season under curbs were dire wtf have the last 2 and a bit without him been like??
    yeah i know he is history but it wasn't as appreciated at the time as i think it should have been
  • Billy Davies
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]those years were shit(for quality of football) , thankfully i was pissed for most of them.... the real quality football was under curbs but unfortunately that wasn't good enough for some and errrrm look what we've got now without doubt the worst standard of football since the early curbs/gritt era but then stating the truth offends some!!

Give it a rest Len/Oooahh

The last 3 years under Curbs was so boring or were you in your own words -pissed?
    Can't see many queuing up to employ your hero. WHU are hardly suffering without him. He did well for us for a while when we were an exceptional club figting for our lives, not just on the field. However as for entertaining me in my lesiure time I'd rather read Mills&Boon than watch his style of football.
    If you don't like it go and support Chelsea. Supporting Charlton contains far more downs than ups.
    Be positive, if we can survive this season we can look forward to spanking Spurs and travelling up to Newcastle just for the game to be called off 1/2 hour before KO.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]if the last 2 season under curbs were dire wtf have the last 2 and a bit without him been like??

A lot more interesting. Win or lose, I have still enjoyed the last two years more than the 2/3 preceding.
  • you keep diggin curbs down and i'll keep bigging him up
    10th in the prem for west ham last year and miraculous escape from relegation year before and 5th in prem when he left... a little bit better than relegation, 11th in chumpionship and currently 17th...... i think we're the ones who have suffered since he left....
    fair enough you may think it's exciting but i for one don't but if we drop down another league it might get more exciting for some
  • And at the end of that 3-1 win up at the Boro we were back to near top and after a few games - that was onlt 18 months before he went - I agree there was some rubbish after that but when he had the players to ply he did - I think....
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]you keep diggin curbs down and i'll keep bigging him up
    10th in the prem for west ham last year and miraculous escape from relegation year before and 5th in prem when he left... a little bit better than relegation, 11th in chumpionship and currently 17th...... i think we're the ones who have suffered since he left....
    fair enough you may think it's exciting but i for one don't but if we drop down another league it might get more exciting for some

I don't dig him, he did a fantastic job for us, for a while. You just can't seem to accept that his time was done, he did, the board did, everyone in football did. Things would not be any different if he was still with us.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]You just can't seem to accept that his time was done, he did, the board did, everyone in football did. Things would not be any different if he was still with us.

i just wish the board had tried a bit harder to keep him but fair enough if he wanted to go .. but frankly for you to say things would not be different if he was with us is laughable....
  • chirpy red, did you have too much to drink last night or something?

If curbs had never left we would be mid table in the prem and everyone would be moaning at how boring the football was.
  • reserves, you can't make the blind see
    if we were in non league some will still claim it's better than curbs latter years
    the truth hurts
  • you're as bad as charlie block FFS - I do agree with what you say but it's all in the past Curbs wanted out he got out - not many ,if any, protested the Pardew appointment just get over the past for crying out loud.

Pardew has made mistakes definitely and I don't blame anyone shouting for him to go but leave the Curbs thing alone now please.
  • Don't know about you but I've got my Charlton back, back to the midtable second tier finishes of when I first started going, when making the playoffs was considered a great season. :-(
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Don't know about you but I've got my Charlton back, back to the midtable second tier finishes of when I first started going, when making the playoffs was considered a great season. :-(

I am with you on this one FOD, except my Charlton had fans who supported no matter how bad we were, appreciated the players throughout the game applauded when they did something good before half time and laughed at them if they cocked up but never booed them. I wish that there was no Premiership, I know we have to go there but I would much rather be where we are .. win one lose one draw one not win one lose 4 get hammered in one.
  • OohAah, don't normally rise to your bait about Curbs at West Ham but you need to remember when he took over there in December 2006 they weren't actually in the relegation zone.

He then guided them to rock bottom of the table with a string of superb performances such as Reading away (0-6), us away (0-4), Watford home (0-1) and it was only some terrible reffing decisions at Blackburn plus a lot of Tevez brilliance that kept them up. £6m on Boa Morte and picking Quashie ahead of Mascherano was hardly inspired either.

Not denying he did well to take them to 10th last season but everybody knows they should have been playing in the Championship and would have been if the FA had shown any balls over Tevez...
  • ok kinch but i suppose lucky wins at arsenal and man utd had nothing to do with curbs cos nothing ever does
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]

he is gone, he is history.

Strange thing to say in a thread about "I want my Charlton back".

I can see where you are coming from but we lost to Palace with the players that you mentioned and as Danny said there was some poor football, poor players and poor seasons as well.

Big difference for me is that then we could see ourselves slowly moving forward, bit by bit, but people moaned then as they do now. Now we (you) look back to a golden age but which at the time was not seen as such.

As for Curbs maybe it is like when Chairman Mao was asked what he thought of the French Revolution and replied "it is too early to tell".

I actually thought the players did put a shift in last night. It was the quality and composure that was missing. No point trying to outwork a Warnock team. You have to out play them and we couldn't do that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Steve Brown said on the radio that Palace wanted it more than Charlton.

The job of a manager is to get the players to play effectively.

Whilst a lot of you hated and resented Curbishley nobody can deny that the players were effective under him. Some may not have regarded it as entertaining but it was effective.

Pardew needs to motivate his team better that is crystal clear fact not criticism.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Steve Brown said on the radio that Palace wanted it more than Charlton.

Whilst a lot of you hated and resented Curbishley nobody can deny that the players were effective under him. Some may not have regarded it as entertaining but it was effective.

It was never entertaining nor effective post 40 points.
    Once we reached saftey in the Prem every season just petered out. I hated those days.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

Steady, Len. I don't think there are too many on here who 'hated and resented Curbishley'.

Most of us appreciate what he did for Charlton and the achievement of 'punching above our weight' for 7 consecutive seasons amongst the media circus clubs of the Prem. Respect to the man, he's rightfully a Charlton legend.

But, in his own words, he did stay a season or 2 too long - and he was certainly a hard act to follow.
    And that's one of the reasons we are struggling to adapt now.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Steve Brown said on the radio that Palace wanted it more than Charlton.

It was never entertaining nor effective post 40 points.
    Once we reached saftey in the Prem every season just petered out. I hated those days.

I'd take that over the pony standard of football on display from both sides last night.

I just cant understand people who say Im enjoying it more now than I was in the prem.....Our win / loss ratio is now similar to the one we had under those boring years under Curbs. Difference is we had players that looked like they can actually pass to a team mate.....
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Steve Brown said on the radio that Palace wanted it more than Charlton.

Pardew needs to motivate his team better that is crystal clear fact not criticism.[/quote]

There is a world of difference between knowing that the time was right for Curbishley to go and hating and resenting him Len.

Why is it that you and certain others can't see that?
  • [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Steve Brown said on the radio that Palace wanted it more than Charlton.

Pardew needs to motivate his team better that is crystal clear fact not criticism.

There is a world of difference between knowing that the time was right for Curbishley to go and hating and resenting him Len.

I can see that.

It is a fact though that posters here (and netaddicks previously) have accused Curbishley of never being "Charlton" and intimated that Gritty would have done what he did given the chance.

Hence my choice of words.

I love Gritty and that photo of him after the St Andrews play off says it all but you don't need to bad mouth Curbs to appreciate Gritty.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]

I can see that.

It is a fact though that posters here (and netaddicks previously) have accused Curbishley of never being "Charlton" and intimated that Gritty would have done what he did given the chance.

Hence my choice of words.

I love Gritty and that photo of him after the St Andrews play off says it all but you don't need to bad mouth Curbs to appreciate Gritty.

taking it to the extreme. I don't know anyone that would use the word "hate" against curbs. everyone appreciates what he did for Charlton in his time with the club. they may not "love him" but to use hate, would be ridiculous.
  • edited October 2008
    Len, whilst I understand your thoughts on LCC, I do think you are being a little too sensitive- you were the same with Kish.
    Curbs was never Charlton, what he was and I'm sure remains, was a complete professional. He gave everything to the club during his time. Very few footballers play and manage THEIR club and do not work for any others.
    I was a regular on Nettaddicks and have been on here since it started and I have never seen the Gritty thing you mention.
    I never did or have warmed to him. Not many fans did. He didn't court popularity amongst the fans, he just got on with his job. Alan C's RAWA was the only chant I ever heard, and not very often. He hardly showed any emotion, he never called the players "his boys", he hardly ever mentioned he'd been a player at Charlton. As soon as he arrived at WHU he was full of nostalgia and warmth for them and their players,
    If you polled everyone on here if they thought Curbs did a good job you'd get 99% say yes, if you asked was it the right time for him to go you'd get 75-80% say yes, if you asked if anyone wanted him back now you'd get 10% say yes. The vast majority respect him and I can't think anyone hates him.
    Please Len can we move on now and please stop bringing up someone who wasn't even our last manager or even the one before that!
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]if you asked if anyone wanted him back now you'd get 10% say yes.
    I think youre talking your own book up here Chirpy
  • Some of us are old enough to remember (and yearn for) the truly great days back in the 70s - the ones with Killer, Paddy, Pee Wee, Flash, Robbo etc etc , the ones where we had to score 5 away from home just to get a point, the ones where no two games were the same........ah such memories.