Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bailey Wants to come to CAFC (Ed. Deal completed)

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
Reading in the Evening Echo, Essex last night quotes from Bailey that he wants to come to CAFC and it will be in his back of his mind until he get his move'.

CAFC bid 300k for him. Was not going to play for Southend until TIlson changed his mind. Got man of the match at the weekend. Looks a right bull dog in the centre of midfield going by a match picture and this is what we need to protect Shelvey or Racon.

Comments

• Options
    Let's get this damn transfer settled fer gawds sake...I can just see someone else nipping in there if we don't get this sorted ASAP.
    I'm sure things are going on in the background even as I speak....but it's making me and a lot of other folk a bit nervous to say the least...I think this guy is going to do the business for us....IF WE GET HIM!!!
  • Options
    Have a relative living in Southend who says he is MoM virtually every week. Seems he has seriously vexed their fans with his comments. Agree with s£ we should conclude this one pdq.
  • Options
    Southend want £500 for him, don't they?

If he's the missing link that ultimately helps us back to the Santa's Grotto of the Premier League, then that extra £200k is chickenfeed.

Even if changes are needed elsewhere to balance the books.
  • Options
    Makes sense to me Oggy
  • Options
    Probably depends on Faye deal going through
  • Options
    I remember we very nearly missed out on Kinsella because we were severely haggling over the fee. The rest is history.

However, its all well and good saying pay this and that. If our budget is THAT tight, the difference between £300k and £600k is a big one.

My view would be to offer heavy incentives for 100 appearances or promotion in the next two years to southend. Tempt them with an offer that is below what they want now, but would be above what they want if he turns out to do the business for us.
  • Options
    I didn't know much about him so had a google and found this.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/12/11/scouting_report_nicky_bailey_s.html

Don't know how much you can read into it but he certainly sounds like the sort of player we so badly need.
  • Options
    There was a quote from him in one of the London papers last night sounding as though it was a done deal. Along the lines of "as soon as Charlton came in for me, my mind was made up, it'll be a dream to play for them"
  • Options
    Sounds a done deal, Chris - the only thing missing is the lad's signature ........
  • Options
    Not to rain on the parade here, but two people I've spoken to in the past week think Bailey is over-rated. Both of them are Southend st holders. Personally I'd rather have him than some over-priced prem loan player, cos at least he'll be hungry - but, if we do sign him, let's temper his arrival with a bit of common sense.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i will do some digging and find out where we are at
  • Options
    "I remember we very nearly missed out on Kinsella because we were severely haggling over the fee. The rest is history.

However, its all well and good saying pay this and that. If our budget is THAT tight, the difference between £300k and £600k is a big one.

My view would be to offer heavy incentives for 100 appearances or promotion in the next two years to southend. Tempt them with an offer that is below what they want now, but would be above what they want if he turns out to do the business for us."

I'd have thought that we also have a few fringe players who might interest Southend either as part of the deal or on loan such as Sinclair, Aswad, Wright (loan), Solly, Shelvey (joke)

OK to say let's get it wrapped up ASAP but sometimes waiting a little gets you a better price either when selling or buying. Don't want to appear too keen.

Will be interesting to see if Bailey plays in the league cup tonight or tommorrow
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ok

so i have been told this morning that we have bid as have palace ours is highest and the one that Nicky wants however, until the demands of Sarfend are met by either club , sarfend wont let Nicky go

Nicky is doing all he can to orchestrate a move to us as we are who he favours but apart from going on strike there is limits to what he can do

our bid is substantially higher than Palarses but still not enough, it is also a lot higher than the 300k quoted on here, He is led to believe that there may be movement from us later this week probaly after the cup games but he is not sure and that it could involve cash,a loan player and add ons

he is anxious to get to us but is unsure of how much sarfend will put blocks upon it
  • Options
    Did Walker not wash up there at the back of last season? We could have maybe leveraged that, better.
  • Options
    Surely Southend is in a situation like Parker was with us. Maybe we should of told him he aint going anywhere oh well its all history now.
  • Options
    definately chuck in Sinclair as part of the deal, he's of no real use to us. As for Southend fans not rating him, sorry but from what i've heard from various sources they must be either blind, stupid or winding you up. Southend seem a funny club. Their two best players have two years to run on their contracts, refuse to sign new ones, and so they slap them both on the transfer list even though neither has said they want to leave or be transfer listed. You are inviting offers and open to the fact that players will become unsettled when those offers are rejected.
  • Options
    'Surely Southend is in a situation like Parker was with us.'

I hope we don't go crazy and bid £10m
  • Options
    I like Large's proposal to offer Sinclair as part of the deal - I can't really see him ever establishing himself in the 1st team here, so maybe kinder to let the lad go and play some League football again.

Interesting thing is, Bailey and Sinclair played together in Barnet's midfield engine room a couple of years ago, both getting rave reviews at the time.
  • Options
    spoke to two shrimper mates and they both said he is their best player by far. player of the year. solid as a rock and also gets forward for his fair share of goals. so to me, it sounds like he is the player we have been waiting for to replace Parker.

get Faye out this week and Bailey in in time for Watford.

up the Addicks.
  • Options
    It's good to hear that he wants to come to us - hopefully the chances of him being poached will be minimal as a result.

I agree we must be patient - but its getting frustrating.

He sounds like exactly the kind of hungry player we need and is a much better option than signing another ex-premiership journeyman who is chasing the wages at the end of his career. Bring it on!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember we very nearly missed out on Kinsella because we were severely haggling over the fee. The rest is history.

I think in that situation Colchester tried to renegotiate an agreed deal at the last minute after Kins had a successful pre-season trial with us. Kins therefore went back to Colchester and started the season for them and it was only when Gillingham came in for him that Curbs opened up negotiations again.

Reading between the lines it seems we have put a bid in which Southend consider to be a little less than they'd like and are refusing to sell at that price - if so fair enough, he's likely their most saleable asset, just as say ZZ is for us. Perhaps if we do offload Faye we'll have a bit more cash to sweeten the deal a little.
  • Options
    He ain't playing for Southend tonight....?
  • Options
    can only be good
  • Options
    Yep, he's not in their squad, Sankofa is on the bench.
  • Options
    They've just said on BBC London that the Southend Chairman has said a fee has been agreed. Just got to sort personal terms.
  • Options
    Bailey is now a done deal, just has to agree terms.
  • Options
    From the Southend Website:

BAILEY SET TO LEAVE
    Posted on: Tue 12 Aug 2008

Nicky Bailey is expected to seal his switch to Chartlton Athletic in the next 24 hours.

The former Barnet midfielder missed Southend's game with Cheltenham Town in the first round of the Carling Cup at Roots Hall this evening.

And chairman Ron Martin believes a deal will go through on Wednesday to take the 24-year-old to the Valley.

"We expect terms to finalised with Charlton on Wednesday," Ron Martin told southendunited.co.uk on Tuesday night.

"Nicky declared himself unfit for the game on Tuesday afternoon and it's clear that Nicky doesn't want to be at Southend anymore.

"It's very disappointing because Nicky's a good player and we would have kept him if he showed more commitment to the club when we offered him a new contract.

"But he turned the deal down and from that moment onwards he had one eye on moving."

Bailey picked up the Blues Player of the Year award last season after a number of impressive displays in midfielder.

That led to catching the eye of several scouts, with Charlton once again present on Saturday against Peterborough.

"Of course we will miss Nicky but we will find a replacement for him and we will find someone committed who wants to play for Southend United," said the chairman.

"We need to invest more funds in players..

"We have a thin squad and Steve's happy with the character we've got but we need more depth in a number of position and that includes midfield now.

"We took a big gamble on Nick because although we paid £175,000 for him if we progressed it could have gone up to £500,000.

"But we wish all players well and I hope he succeeds because we will get rewarded if he does as we have a number of clauses in the deal which makes the fee rise if Charlton get into the play offs and go up into the Premier League, etc."
  • Options
    Mike Bailey ........? Now he could run our midfield, just what we need right now ;o)

(played for England while a Charlton player, s'right, eh Len, Lancs, Thai and co?)
  • Options
    http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/3589825.Charlton_bound_Bailey_left_out_of_cup_squad/

Charlton-bound Bailey left out of cup squad

8:00pm Tuesday 12th August 2008

comment Comments (2) Have your say »
    By Rob Pritchard »

NICKY Bailey was left out of Southend United's squad for tonight's Carling Cup first round clash against Cheltenham Town at Roots Hall.

The midfielder is on the verge of completing a £400,000 move to Championship outfit Charlton Athletic.

Anthony Grant, who joined Blues on a free transfer from Chelsea last month, came in as a late replacement for the 24-year-old.

Manager Steve Tilson's other alteration came on the left flank where Kevin Betsy made his first start in place of James Walker who dropped out with a thigh injury.

Walker's injury left Tilson with just six of a possible seven named substitutes.

For more on Bailey's Charlton switch, see Wednesday's Echo.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Fine player Mike who wore the No 4 shirt with pride, had a hell of a shot on him too...he was our captain and led very much by example.
    He left us(as all our best players do of course), to join Wolves who were 'big boys' in those days.