Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Wide positions

2»

Comments

• Options
    i'd love to see thomas on the right and basey on the left
  • Options
    Seems like Thomas is getting criticised about not getting to the by-line and putting crosses in, but I think that's more down to the way we play. As someone else said, we don't flood the box enough. Our central midfielders rarely if ever make runs into the box. I don't think that's the way Pardew wants to use our wingers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Took the ball first time straight onto his foot and ran with it as no player in this league or indeed the Prem can do. more than once. Won a frree kick or two. Give him time, he is pure 100% quality.

I think that somebody has said that about Thomas every season since he broke into the team under Curbs yet for much of the time, he entirely fails to deliver any end product. What he does do is frighten the opposition full backs to death and that, at least is a positive. I agree he is talented but he has a problem between the lugholes which nobody including Wenger, bar Curbs for half a season, has been able to sort out.

If I was managing him, I'd tell him that I'd just had a whisper that Tottenham were interested in signing him but needed some convincing. I'd somehow engineer things so that he was convinced that their scout was watching him.

As for Sam, I'd pay him a bonus for everytime he beats a player or the outside and for every telling cross he puts in.
  • Options
    Sorry, I didn't see the game but what's all this 'flooding the box' business. If you get in the box when a cross or through ball is not likely to come, the defence would push up and you'd be offside, wouldn't you? We scored both our goals in the box, both near post headers (I've seen that much). So if Thomas got down the wing and put more crosses in, perhaps we'd get a few more. Well done to Pards - obviously did his homework and found their weakness. Sounded on the commentary like an efficient job done.

Back to Thomas: he's the real Lisbie - all promise and no results. Difference is that I had more time and patience for Lisbie who I think got misjudged. Much like Golfie who is too pessimistic and is a moany git generally but says it like it is IMO.
  • Options
    the problem with jt and sam is that people think they should be running the game 100% of the time, whereas the reality is if the ball is on one wing then the other player hasn't got the ball so that cuts it down to them only running the game for 50% of the time...then the opposition tend to have the ball for about 50% of the time so that cuts it down to about 25% of the game that they can run it...then you get some of the other charlton players getting involved and before you know it jt and sam only get the ball their feet occasionally during the game...cue the moaners...
  • Options
    But you could say that for any player on the pitch Itgtr. There are 22 players on the pitch so of course possession will be shared. Quite frankly I find that argument absurd. Anyway, no-one's saying that they should be 'running the game', just playing their part and the role of a winger is surely to get crosses in.