Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Wide positions

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
can anyone tell me what Sam and Thomas actually bring to the team. I can't remember the last time either actually got to the byline and put in a cross, decent or otherwise. I can't remember the last time either of them took on the full-back on the outside, irrespective of whether they beat them or not. It's easy to cut inside and offload it to someone else. When will they take responsibility and do something. Last week Basey came on and twice got to the byline and put in a cross. He hasn't got much pace but he has a sweet left foot, a decent shot, and puts in a decent dead ball, as for todays second. He is also better suited to play in front of Youga. He is willing to help out defensively and if Youga goes forward can easily slot in at RB. With Bouazza now in the building Thomas especially is under pressure to perform, Sam just isn't up to it full stop, and these obsevations are not based on just today, but last season. For me Basey deserves to play on the left with Bouzza on the right. Thoughts ?

Comments

• Options
    I agree about Sam but not about Thomas. To me JT is the best footballer in the squad by a country mile.
    Sam? I just don't get him at all.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    fine, but can you point to anything positive that Thomas did today ? A cross, as shot, anything ??
  • Options
    Took the ball first time straight onto his foot and ran with it as no player in this league or indeed the Prem can do. more than once. Won a frree kick or two. Give him time, he is pure 100% quality.
  • Options
    yeh, im not sure your right with this CR. hes got top notch technique and dribbling theres no arguments with that - but he doesnt actually use it to benefit the team as he has no end product or football brain. people give him a hard time cos they dont think he puts the effort in and i dont agree with that - but he is now as good as he will ever be, which isnt good enough. agree with LA.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Took the ball first time straight onto his foot and ran with it as no player in this league or indeed the Prem can do. more than once. Won a frree kick or two. Give him time, he is pure 100% quality.
    I wish i had gone to that game i missed all that at the one i watched today
  • Options
    balham red has hit the nail on the head - no end product. He put in the effort today, which you can't always say, but he doesn't do enough to affect the game in my opinion.
  • Options
    But overall did no less than anyone else. Because of his image/body language/etc he will always get stick.
  • Options
    I say put thomas in the middle and just let him run at them he would win lots of free kick and pens, i do agree with chirpy that he has excellent control.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcinperth[/cite]I say put thomas in the middle and just let him run at them he would win lots of free kick and pens, i do agree with chirpy that he has excellent control.
    Not a bad call that he dont do enough out wide cos dont cross the ball but would be a handful running straight at centerbacks
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    At the risk of being accused of having splinters in my bum I think you are both right.

JT is a good outlet and will win us free kicks. He can also make defenders look very ordinary. Against that he produces relatively few good crosses given his good approach work and he doesn't score enough goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree too. I was asked for his positives, I gave them. He frustrates me too. Not enough end product for his undeniable talent, As for Lloyd Sam..........?????
  • Options
    just read your previous post chrps & all I can say is if you concentrated more on what is in front of you than whats on TMS or in the programme & you may be in a better position to comment.

I , like most other on here, are consisntently p**ssed off with the lack of end product from both Thomas & sam.

Thomas drew a foul & a booking from their no 6 in the first half.....inside his own half ! - His trickery should be done on the edge of their box & not ours. Not sure od the stats but I'm pretty sure he hasn't won us a penalty during his time with us - certainly not during the last few seasons.

a great outlet for us as he rarly losses the ball, but as a winger.....forget it.
  • Options
    Were you generally pleased with the game today though Golfie?
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hi Golfie.

The day your opinions are shared by MANY on here is the day we all give up.
  • Options
    the one thing I would like to ask is, why doesn't Thomas play on the right??

he goes past defenders but is so one sided its unreal, I personally think his balls in aren't too bad (better than Sam) so why don't we stick him on the right and let him whip a few balls in? It really gets to me that we don't even try this
  • Options
    Thomas pisses me off for all the above reasons, I feel the best he had to offer though was left behind in 2004/05 season. For me a boke of his ability should be tearing defences apart. He looked ok today as did Sam but I can't help but wonder if Pardew is only playing them both because of a lack of choice.
  • Options
    hard to say how I feel after todays game - elated we won but know that it is probably just another false dawn.

Why? - defence looked ok although Weaver was having a bit of a mare holding onto the ball. Will give him the benefit today as the weather was iffy,

As Prdew pointed out in his press conference afterwards, the midfield was getting over -run. All I have heard on here this summer is that I shoudnt worry because our saviour in the shape of a 16 year old is here to save us. Well, I think a few of you (and him) got abit of a shock today. Racon played well as did Varney, but as for Thomas & Sam .........4 out of 10.

As for who was the better side - only one winner for me today, and they went back down the M4 tonight with nothing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]hard to say how I feel after todays game - elated we won but know that it is probably just another false dawn.

Why? - defence looked ok although Weaver was having a bit of a mare holding onto the ball. Will give him the benefit today as the weather was iffy,

As Prdew pointed out in his press conference afterwards, the midfield was getting over -run. All I have heard on here this summer is that I shoudnt worry because our saviour in the shape of a 16 year old is here to save us. Well, I think a few of you (and him) got abit of a shock today. Racon played well as did Varney, but as for Thomas & Sam .........4 out of 10.

As for who was the better side - only one winner for me today, and they went back down the M4 tonight with nothing.

For a wind up post, that's a 9/10, the final line is a f**king stunner
  • Options
    Just savour the win and the points Golfie - the rest can all wait til another day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]

Just how were Swansea the better side? They might have had slightly more possesion than us but they didn't do anything with it, did they? I don't seem to remember Youga and Semedo getting taken to the cleaners and Weaver being put under pressure from constant crosses. I thought we contained them quite easily, really and we took our chances well. Weaver had a couple of spills to make but their keeper also had to make a couple of saves. A much deserved win, IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Golfie you must be fecking mental mate

if that is not a wind up post then i dont know what is

Yes Shelvey had a quiet game BUT he took the best corners we have had for ages one of which resulted in a goal and was holding against a 5 man midfield yet you state that thomas and sam did little so Racon must have managed the whole 5 did he?

Racon was my motm

Varney did feck all but work hard yet you see him as someone who played well, anyone can track back and chase down defenders

how many shots did varney have, as a striker in 90 mins how many do you feel he should have

we won and you say it is a false dawn

why can you not see any positives out of a 2 nil home win yes swansea played nice football but the better team FFS if you are like this now how will you be in 6mths
  • Options
    got any stats on shots at goal ??

I'd reckon they had about 12 or so, of which Weaver had to make 5 or 6 saves

we had a couple of shots at goal that I can recall - their keeper saved one from Sam (?) in the first half and the other from Varney right at the end.

Yes we scored two goals & they didn't, but on another day the opposition would have scored at least a couple from the efforts they had. So many times (esp 2nd half) they had a p[layer spare about 10 yards from our pen area, who rec'd the ball & had time to turn & have a shot.

When did our front line do this ??????? I'm not criticising Varney as he did all he could, but blame must be put on the supply line........the midfield.
  • Options
    I am having a pop at varney i thought he looked as much out of his depth as Jon Jo who according to you gave people like me a shock

Jon jo had to play against a 5 man midfield for most of the game and although at points the ball was going past him he was always there to recover put in a challenge and lay off an easy ball, his corners were 100 times better than the shite served up under curbs and pards so far

If you think varney had a good game then i dont know what you were watching because apart from a very weak header and a glaring miss at the end all he did was run around which is what your virtually criticising a sixteen year old for.

the point that riles me most is the false dawn, 1 game down 2 goals scored none conceded 3 points in the bag

i dont know why you go if a victory bno matter how it is taken is so poorly recieved
  • Options
    forget it NLA
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [quote][cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]got any stats on shots at goal ??

I'd reckon they had about 12 or so, of which Weaver had to make 5 or 6 saves

we had a couple of shots at goal that I can recall - their keeper saved one from Sam (?) in the first half and the other from Varney right at the end.

Yes we scored two goals & they didn't, but on another day the opposition would have scored at least a couple from the efforts they had. So many times (esp 2nd half) they had a p[layer spare about 10 yards from our pen area, who rec'd the ball & had time to turn & have a shot.

When did our front line do this ??????? I'm not criticising Varney as he did all he could, but blame must be put on the supply line........the midfield.[/quote]

How many times did they get behind us? Not many. They had a fair few shots from long range most of which were well wide or easy gathers for Weaver.

Their keeper made a good save from Sam and from Varney from close in.

As Mr Pardew said we were stronger in the areas that matter by which I would hazard a guess were the areas of putting the ball in their net and keeping the ball out of our net.

I haven't seen any stats but I'd guess we had 100% of the goals scored.

The best team always wins, the rest is only gossip.
  • Options
    STAT ATTACK
    7 Shots On Target 11
    0 Shots Off Target 5
    19 Fouls (Conceded) 13
    7 Corners 3
    0 Yellow Cards 2
    0 Red Cards 1
  • Options
    Can`t agree with everything Golfie says but he does for me hit the nail on the head by stating that our midfield central midfield supply to Gray and Varney just aint good enough. Nobody can fault the work ethic but the (to qoute Pards) nous and creativity just aint there. Thomas I like a lot but must improve on delivery but for the life of me I just can`t see how Sam can get picked. Bouazza must surely start ahead of him. Hope the Bailey deal is not dead because we IMHO won`t be going anywhere with our current midfield. One bright spot might be when Ambrose is fit. He is I know frustrating but should be a quality player at CCC level. Swansea pass well but just like Crewe used to do they flatter to deceive. They need to at some point get the ball into the box. You can try to play too much football and get nothing which is what they got and maybe even deserved.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Shelvey didn't have a great game although his corners were well delivered so he's got an assist already.

Agree the service to Varney and Gray was lacking partly as Swansea played five in the middle and kept it very tight and partly as the delivery was poor.

Bodde (sp?) their number 6 ran the midfield and was the most impressive player on the pitch. I can see why other clubs are in for him. Racon did well and looked a lot more comfortable when Holland came on and he(Matt) sat and Racon could move forward a bit more.

Thomas had lots of good possession as did Sam but didn't do enough with it. Great run and move involving Sam in the first half when he jinked into the box only to take too long to pick out a pass.

I thought one side flattered to deceived. Good passing and movement but no end result and couldn't defend a set piece.

I felt the other were strong, hard working and resolute and took the chances.

Doesn't that sound like much change from the last couple of years only the teams have been reversed.

If we can get Bailey in to play alongside Racon with cameos from Shelvey and Holland plus Bouazza performs it will be a different midfield.

Couple of defenders in and it looks like a decent squad IMHO.

Hudson - what a great start.
    Fortune - did really well and showed what a good player he CAN be. Just needs to do that for another 45 games.
    Semedo - Very Solid. Didn't give their winger a sniff but doesn't offer much going forward. Will be interesting to see if Moo2 gets in the side v Watford.
    Youga - Started poorly and made a few errors but got better and was fully in control.

Off on hols happy.
  • Options
    Spot on with Fortune Henry, thought, apart from one misplaced pass, he was excellent yesterday, as you say let's hope he can keep it up!
  • Options
    I thought Thomas did alright yesterday? Good tracking back when needed, held position well. Couple of good runs down the wing. Best he has played for a while...Looking like he actually wants the ball again.

Its all well n good expecting him to get it to the byline & cross it in but whats the point when we've got two strikers that won two headers between them all game (inc the goal) & absolutely no support coming through the middle from the centre mids? We dont flood the box enough to make good use of the wing. I've gave up with Lloyd Sam now, absolute waste of space. Stick Basey left mid & Thomas on the right...At least they both have a footballing brain.

Cant say anyone apart from Sam had a mare, Shelvey was quiet but give the lad a chance. Varney got some stick but no idea why...Not much supply & ran his nuts off across the back line...Was constantly closing their full backs down and making them shank it out or preventing them from getting the ball forward.

Good win considering how much of the ball they had...Next two league games will be the real test though.