Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Murray speaks

2»

Comments

• Options
    Henry Irving the Ken Linvingston of Charlton
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Henry Irving the Ken Linvingston of Charlton

That was almost funny. Almost but not quite.

Thing is with jokes is they have to have a punch line and make sense. Keep trying and you might make it sometime this year.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited August 2008
    Exactly. It should be:

What's the difference between Ken Livingstone and Henry Irving?

One introduced free travel for OAP's while the other one dressed in clothes for OAP's.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Exactly. It should be:

What's the difference between Ken Livingstone and Henry Irving?

One introduced free travel for OAP's while the other one dressed in clothes for OAP's.

Yes, that is both relevant, funny and cutting in a mild (and totally unfounded!!!) way.

WSS maybe you could give lessons ; - )
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]How much more can we cut back,

Weaver, Ambrose, Thomas and Gray will all be earning good money for this level. So will Hudson. It could get a whole lot worse!
    And lets not forget our good friend Amdy Faye who continues to drain us of at least 20k a week
  • Options
    I guess it's closer to £25k Chris, the high end closer
  • Options
    Sometimes Henry you are so anal, you pic a line from a post and try and rip the person apart, I read you notes sometimes and think what an arse. Sorry.

Year we went up very little spent
    Year we come down very little spent
    Year we went back up very little spent
    Fisrt year back very little spent
    The next couple of years, little spent but players went
    It wasn't untill the final three years that a bigger sum was spent, or wasted in the Dowie year, but like you said that was covered by selling players. My point was a collective not aimed at one season.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: CityAddick[/cite]Sometimes Henry you are so anal, you pic a line from a post and try and rip the person apart, I read you notes sometimes and think what an arse. Sorry.

Year we went up very little spent
    Year we come down very little spent
    Year we went back up very little spent
    Fisrt year back very little spent
    The next couple of years, little spent but players went
    It wasn't untill the final three years that a bigger sum was spent, or wasted in the Dowie year, but like you said that was covered by selling players. My point was a collective not aimed at one season.

Thanks for that over the top answer. You got something wrong and I pointed it out.

Where did I try to rip you apart. I never mentioned you at all.

You based your argument on the false premise that we didn't spend a large amount. That was not true for the reasons I stated and it was true for a number of seasons.

Even if it was for the last three seasons that we were spending £30m a year on the player budget (wages and transfers not just transfer) that is a hell of a lot of money in the prem that is still a large amount of money spent relative to our income.
  • Options
    hello from very sunny portugal. have we signed anyone yet. i see sean davis available from pOmpey.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]hello from very sunny portugal. have we signed anyone yet. i see sean davis available from pOmpey.

No!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Henry, although I read your comments with interest as the majority of your stuff is interesting you do have this tendency to pick out the bones of people trying to make a point. Not everyone is spot on and everyone knows that but you appear to take pleasure by pointing this out which I find irritating when in my post I wasn't actually having a go at anyone, if anything I was defending the board! Read what is there and get the comments into prespective before jumping on your corrective bandwagon!
  • Options
    Mildly tongue in cheek, but putting it into perspective, he is already a millionaire, and just how much money do you really need? We arent talking about a bloke working and earning £25k a year and being offered £30k afterall......

Ironically your scenario did happen to me....a bigger company wanted to buy me out, quite a few spondoolies, plus a contract which would have doubled my money.....Needless to say I didnt go. I earn a good wage and I wanted to maintain a quality of life, not be at some bugger beck and call all hours of the day and night.....

:-) I'll get off my soap box now.....

Not sure if thats tongue in cheek or not, but if you were him, would you sign up?
    If you worked for a company where they were going through a hard time, making cut backs and laying off staff, and you got the offer to go to a bigger more successful company, what would you do?[/quote]
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CityAddick[/cite]Henry, although I read your comments with interest as the majority of your stuff is interesting you do have this tendency to pick out the bones of people trying to make a point. Not everyone is spot on and everyone knows that but you appear to take pleasure by pointing this out which I find irritating when in my post I wasn't actually having a go at anyone, if anything I was defending the board! Read what is there and get the comments into prespective before jumping on your corrective bandwagon!

I started the response with "sorry"

I didn't rip into you, run you down and say anything about you. It was you who started the insults with "you're so anal"

I wasn't having a go at you just refuted part of what you said and there is a big difference.

I read what was there and it was and is, in part and iIMHO, wrong. If I politely (hence the "sorry") point that out and explain why (not just saying "that's crap") then I'm at a loss to see what more you want me to do. That's what a discussion is.
  • Options
    I've just got back from hols so have just been reading all of this. Well all I can say is that Murray is pointing up the reality of the situation. For a club of our size to have a wages budget in the Prem on the playing side alone of £30M shows that the club extended itself to the edge of what was possible to deliver funds to a manager to keep us striving for a European place. After he went we even went further to try and offer the new manager (Dowie) the funds to invest in the playing side. None of this worked. We have to accept that the cut backs are inevitable and if we don't get up this season, further cutbacks are inevitable.

People ask how can we cut any further, well we will just have to, it's as simple as that. The first place will be the combined wages of manager, assistant, coaches and players. I don't need to spell out who gets the most dosh out of that list.

It's hard to take because instead of adding to a squad that failed last year to even reach the minimum requirenent of the play off's, we have reduced the numbers and in people like Magic, the quality. On the other hand it's Pards job to maximise the resources at his disposal and that doesn't just mean financial ones. He has a large coaching budget and he needs to ensure that his coaching staff produce their best work. We have a number of quality youngsters coming through. Pards himself needs to up his game from last season. All of these things can add up to us having a better season than last, despite the reduction in playing staff. I remain optimistic that he can make things happen for us this season, despite what I consider to be some ill-judged self-serving remarks about being unaware of the clubs financial position.