Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Murray speaks

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=12773

So the current cutbacks aren't in line with loss of parachute money next year, jeez...

Comments

• Options
    Link is down....
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    But it says they are doesnt it, unless I'm reading it wrong
  • Options
    Thanks guys.....seems like ZZ has rejected the idea of a contract extension......yet another mercenary?
  • Options
    “This is a very important season for us because if we don’t go up, there are no more parachute payments and we will have to make further cuts, which will obviously reduce our chances of promotion even more.
  • Options
    So we go into the season and possibly beyond with just two center backs and a couple of players who might be able to fill in ? we dont plug the hole in the center of mid field but we also weeken whats behind that hole.

well wot can you say ? its worrying.

I was hoping if we sold ZZ we might be able to use that money, dont sound like it. Anyone who really believes we can finish in top 6 is having a chuckle i think.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Thanks guys.....seems like ZZ has rejected the idea of a contract extension......yet another mercenary?

Not sure if thats tongue in cheek or not, but if you were him, would you sign up?
    If you worked for a company where they were going through a hard time, making cut backs and laying off staff, and you got the offer to go to a bigger more successful company, what would you do?
  • Options
    There's a serious risk that if we don't get off to a half decent start, we'll be looking down, not up. That has also happened to many before us - Leeds, Forest, Man City etc. So three points against Swansea, please, please, please.
  • Options
    “This is a very important season for us because if we don’t go up, there are no more parachute payments and we will have to make further cuts, which will obviously reduce our chances of promotion even more.

what more cut backs could happen next close Season???? selling the Valley and moving to selhurst?? we wont have any senior players left to sell next term,redeveloping the jimmy seed stand encorpating a supermarket to make money??? no one will want to sign for us because of our revoling door policy. we are in serious danger here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    my thoughts too, what else is there left to sell? what is the figure we have to make back £10 million per year?
  • Options
    Sinking feeling re his comments that 'further' cost cutting will be neccessary if we fail to win promotion.He's only being honest of course....but still, you don't like to hear it do you.
  • Options
    Jon Jo mate we all know if he has a half ok season he goes.

How bad is it well i think i waited about 24 years to see us play in the top division , could it be that long again ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]“This is a very important season for us because if we don’t go up, there are no more parachute payments and we will have to make further cuts, which will obviously reduce our chances of promotion even more.

what more cut backs could happen next close Season???? selling the Valley and moving to selhurst?? we wont have any senior players left to sell next term,redeveloping the jimmy seed stand encorpating a supermarket to make money??? no one will want to sign for us because of our revoling door policy. we are in serious danger here.

So if your income dropped by £11m next year would you keep spending at the same rate? How could there not be more cutbacks next year when the parachute money is gone.

It's not nice, it's not pretty but we would be in much more serious danger if we kept spending money now on the hope of going up only to miss out and have a much much bigger hole to fill.

Other clubs get by and still sign players despite being out of the prem for more than two years. They still play games and they still manager to sign players despite being net sellers.

Sorry but a few people on here were talking about how much better it would be in the Championship and that they didn't mind if we didn't go up again. Unfortunately this is the reality for most CCC sides.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Sinking feeling re his comments that 'further' cost cutting will be neccessary if we fail to win promotion.He's only being honest of course....but still, you don't like to hear it do you.

I feel the same.
  • Options
    Aye Henry but a few on here have been suggesting these cuts would be it (i.e. no more next summer), I think we need to live in the real world.
  • Options
    I'm sure that point is in relation to wage bills

These figures are made up, but i can imagine the wage bill has gone something like this:

06/07 - £28m
    07/08 - £17m
    08/09 - £13m
    09/10 - ?

If we need to get the wage bill in line with our income, that may well be something between £8-£10m, in which case we need to bring it lower.

I personally don't see a serious financial problem, as a number of senior pros come off the wage bill next summer. Which is probably why we are trying to sell them now, to actually get some money for them.
  • Options
    How much more can we cut back,
  • Options
    the way I read it we will need to cut back out outgoings by the loss of the parachute money amount, plus we are likely to lose season ticket revenue in lost business and possibly price cuts. That adds up to a big sum off the annual outgoings.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Other clubs get by and still sign players despite being out of the prem for more than two years. They still play games and they still manager to sign players despite being net sellers.

Except we don't seem to be signing any, or have I missed something? :-(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Except we don't seem to be signing any, or have I missed something? :-(

We've signed two and the window's not closed yet.
  • Options
    So if we go up it would be because of the generous Valley Gold members who have produced our team :-)
  • Options
    one a freebie another a non league player
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]one a freebie another a non league player

Correct.
  • Options
    I think the main problem for most on this is board is the fact that over the last 7 seasons we spent in the Prem we was getting a lot of prem money, we was still a selling club, we never really spent huge amounts on players, and for the last 2 years years we have just sold sold sold. Now we either owed an incredable amount of money during that time which we just paid back or there is something going on or happened that we are just not privvy to. I understand the frustration I am as frustrated as everyone but unless you are on the inside you'll never know, the club will keep releasing spin staements like this and all we can do is trust them. AT the end of the day what can we do, call for the sack the board because that would make things worse. All we can do is get behind the team and let the management manage the club. If we could do better we wouldn't be sitting where ever we are posting on this board!
  • Options
    I would like to see a couple of new faces by the end of August, especially in the defnsive area, but the bottom line is that the board obviously need to stabilise the club. I don't doubt for a minute that the board would love to see us promoted, but I also know that they want to have a financially sound football club with a future, rather than a debt riddled club facing financial disaster.

We've been scarily close to that before, & the hard work by both board(& its various array of genuine 'stars' over the years who love the club & have saved it from slipping into an early grave) & the fans(political parties, clean-up campaigns & much more) would be completely undone.

This club has had a sad history of unscrupulous chairmen, boards, investors going back over 40-odd years before the 1984 'resuscitation'. I would much rather see it in the hands of CAFC 'people', & I think that is what we have in the board.

The board have shown their ambition in many ways over the years, from the ground, to savvy business practices, & sadly that was undone by the awful spending of Messrs Dowie & Andrew Mills. The amount put in there was in no way a lack of ambition on the boards part, a rare lack of foresight, but still a bit of 'muscle behind the hustle', so to speak. This can also be applied to Pardews initial funds in the 1st 3 transfer windows he had.

Sure, its not good for morale to see some good/hardworking players leave(not including M Bent - neither good, nor hardworking), & clearing out some of the 'dead-wood'(not quite there yet with Faye still to walk the plank)but at least this gives the youngsters, & some of the squad players who didn't feature as much, will get their chance to shine.

Charlton have been generally pretty successful in the development of youth over the years(the last few years being a little lean, until now) with the likes of Robert Lee, Scott Minto, Shaun Newton, Leaburn, Barness, Bowyer & obviously Parker coming through, & others like Pitcher, Fortune, Lisbie, Bennett, Stuart(Jamie), Sturgess, et' al, filling out the ranks in times of need.
    We ain't in the top flight anymore, so we are going back to Charlton old stylee, where our resources came from the youth & we had to blood them early. Hasn't harmed some clubs in putting in youth.

I'm quite excited. Be nice to see some hunger & spirit back in the red ranks.

I'll be there on Saturday cheering the lads on with all my heart. Come on you Reds!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]How bad is it well i think i waited about 24 years to see us play in the top division , could it be that long again ?

yes, at least

[cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Sorry but a few people on here were talking about how much better it would be in the Championship and that they didn't mind if we didn't go up again. Unfortunately this is the reality for most CCC sides.

i know who wants to be in the premiership this is so much more exciting
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: CityAddick[/cite] we never really spent huge amounts on players,

Sorry but we did spend huge amounts on players and on wages compared to our income. Someone on here said 95% on our income. Not sure if that is true but Dowie spent very heavily on transfers and wages and Curbishley had a budget of something like £30m a year for players (wages and transfers).

When we did get large amounts of transfer fees (£11m for Parker) that was spent on the likes of Jeffers, Rommadhal and Murphy who I'm pretty sure earn't more than Parker did collectively if not individually.
  • Options
    I think it started to go down hill once Henry was elected a fans director.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]I think it started to go down hill once Henry was elected a fans director.

Congratulations. You are the 10,000th person to make notice that correlation and only 2 years and six months after the first person to do so. : - )