Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite Charlton Central defender

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
Peter Shirtliff, classy defender and two goals in the play off final

Comments

• Options
    rufus best defender i have seen at charlton no frills just a proper defender best tackler i have seen at charlton as well.
  • Options
    Jon Fortune - he's the only one fit to play on Saturday .......(!)
  • Options
    I always liked Peter Shirtliff - and, of course, the two play off goals were memorable.

However, he deliberately stamped on someone after the ball had gone in one home game - was suspended for 3/4 games which started our downward spiral.

What about Frank Haydock? No nonsense centre half.
  • Options
    Simon Webster...could do with his leadership now
  • Options
    Richard Rufus, followed closely by Simon Webster.

What a partnership that would have been.
  • Options
    Rufus by a country mile.

However, I have to mention the Steve Thompson & John Pender partnership in the 85/86 promotion season. Think Rambo cost 25k what a player for that sort of money.

Infact, what a great back four that was Reid, Humphrey, Pender & Thompson.
  • Options
    Peter Reeves...It was a shame that his career was cut short by injury
  • Options
    Yea I'd go with Webo over Rufus at the moment. RR was a great defender but as TelinOz says, SW's leadership and all action is what we need now. Remember that volley against Bristol City at Upton Park?
  • Options
    Yup The Roof for sure although I have a massive fondness of Jorge Costa's time with us.

He comes from Portugal...............
  • Options
    Rufus and then Shirtliff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rufus for me..

(And like Stone, I loved watching Costa- the time he "Kneed" the ball back to Keily to be greeted by a defening gasp as the whole stadium thought it would be deemed a back pass. Happy dayz!)
  • Options
    Roof all day long...
  • Options
    Reeves
    Shirtliff
    Rufus
    Costa
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Reeves
    Shirtliff
    Rufus
    Costa
    Went
    I forgot about,
    Webster
    Brown
    Shipperley
    :-(
  • Options
    Loved Shipperley, Paul Went, Alan Dugdale, Rambo. Webster.
    But you've got to go with one that's played against the best in the Premiership.
    So my favorite would be Stevie Brown (very underrated at CH) closely followed by RR and the Tank.
    Fortune also deserves a mention as he rarely looked out of place in the Prem.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]Rufus for me..

(And like Stone, I loved watching Costa- the time he "Kneed" the ball back to Keily to be greeted by a defening gasp as the whole stadium thought it would be deemed a back pass. Happy dayz!)

That had me and my dad in hysterics, that that didnt get deemed a back pass....

Always liked shirtliff he was a bit 'volatile' I remeber him smashing two players into the sky like a bowling pins at Sellout against Derby in the 80's .... always liked colin Pates ( i was young so If Ive missed judged it please forgive me) obviously rufus... i also always liked paul miller just fro kicking that leads striker colin whatshisface in the play off final...
  • Options
    Let's not forget Jimmy Giles and Bobby Goldthorpe
  • Options
    Ruuuufuus!

The Ruf, the ruf, the ruf is on fire!
  • Options
    Surely Les Berry should feature somewhere.......

Dear old Les. I kept a scrap book of match reports for the 85/86 promotion season (I was only 11 :-)).

Looked through it the other day.....Peter Cordwell's descriptiono f Les looking like a tired Mexican Bandit looking for somewhere to sleep under his sombrero still makes me laugh.

Les was particularly poor in that classic 3-3 draw with Millwall at Selhurst. 3-0 in 15mins I think.....
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Surely Les Berry should feature somewhere.......

Dear old Les. I kept a scrap book of match reports for the 85/86 promotion season (I was only 11 :-)).

Looked through it the other day.....Peter Cordwell's descriptiono f Les looking like a tired Mexican Bandit looking for somewhere to sleep under his sombrero still makes me laugh.

Les was particularly poor in that classic 3-3 draw with Millwall at Selhurst. 3-0 in 15mins I think.....[/quote]

He was shocking, but at that age you love all the players, don't you? I knew Berry was pants but still thought he was a hero!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chapple for me.......yes I smoke crack...lol
  • Options
    Carl Tiler
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Carl Tiler

Your names not sue savin is it?
  • Options
    Difficult.

Couldn't choose bwtween Shirtliff, Browny, Costa and Simon Webster
  • Options
    It's between Rufus and Costa

Rufus just shades it for me.Was gutted when he had to call it a day
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Would like to give Big TC a shout - penalty taker to boot!
    (Tommy Caton) God rest his soul.
  • Options
    for me it would be shipperley, out of nostalgia, because he was part of one of the most committed cafc teams, and the fact that even as a ten yr old I could recognise him from the top of the east stand
  • Options
    Les Berry in a masochistic sort of way. Limited ability but never failed to give his best.

Rufus and Brown for quality matched with a generous dose of the "Charlton spirit."

Going back to the sixties Marvin Hinton was quality as was Paul Went before his injury.
  • Options
    Rufus and Shirtliff.
  • Options
    Peter Reeves by a long way over second place Rufus. For those young'uns who never saw him play just trust the four or five in this thread who have named him above Rufus and others.