Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

3 Questions about SE10

edited June 2008 in Not Sports Related
Hi all - 3 Questions about Greenwich - I don't read the local press some elightenment would be appreciated:

1. Whats going on at the Naval College they have covered the area between the two halfs of the Naval College with a huge Marquee type thing anyone know what's going on there?

2. When is the Greenwich Eye going up - is it related to above?

3. What are they filming in Greenwich Park it is obvious something big - is it related to question 1?

Comments

• Options
    1 - Graduation ceremony for the university?
    2 - ?
    3 - ?
  • Options
    I hadn't considered Graduation - but it must be costing a fortune - I would have thought they would have used the painted hall or other cheaper option.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It's for some charity do apparently. have a look at

http://www.thegreenwichphantom.co.uk/2008/06/giant-greenwich-glitterball.html#links

The Greenwich phantom is a great site if you've any interest in any aspect of Greenwich, its a real insider guide.
  • Options
    I believe the eye is due to be up and running late June/early July until September
  • Options
    2. The Observation Eye goes up on June 21st.
  • Options
    Thanks for that I feel informed though a little embarassed that some of the information comes from Chicago!!

Now what are they filming someone MUST know....
  • Options
    "Wolfman" apparently - according to that site anyway!
  • Options
    More stuff on the Wolfman taken from the aforementioned Greenwich Phantom below Pickwick
    http://www.thegreenwichphantom.co.uk/2008/04/wolf-man-again.html

Yup, I must get out more....
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Went past the park last nite after picking Mrs up from work about 11.30. Huge arc lights on in there .Looked like the whole place was on fire ! loads of smoke etc. Wonder what is being filmed ? maybe they are practicing for burning all the Big Brothers people AND WATCHERS ?
  • Options
    Here's a bit more about The Wolf Man:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wolf_Man_%282009_film%29
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Went past the park last nite after picking Mrs up from work about 11.30. Huge arc lights on in there .Looked like the whole place was on fire ! loads of smoke etc. Wonder what is being filmed ? maybe they are practicing for burning all the Big Brothers people AND WATCHERS ?

Are you Ian Collins from Talksport, he mentioned that this morning on his show.
  • Options
    Mate they asked me to be on the show but my spelling was no good for radio !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Went past the park last nite after picking Mrs up from work about 11.30. Huge arc lights on in there .Looked like the whole place was on fire ! loads of smoke etc. Wonder what is being filmed ? maybe they are practicing for burning all the Big Brothers people AND WATCHERS ?

We can only dream GH...
  • Options
    The Naval College is used a lot for filming both TV and film.
    Wolfman has been down there a couple of times, and due there again soon. Its also been used in the Mummy 2 (next time you watch the film, where the bus is being chased by the creatures around London streets, its the main road down the middle of the college).
    In fact a lot of filming takes place in the area.
    The old Co-Op building and Powis Street was used in Children of Men....I know as I was there doing medical cover, and my crewmate did Wolfman.
  • Options
    The Golden Compass was filmed at the Naval College. Spotted it in the movie.
  • Options
    They were filming some Indian soap opera down one of the roads off ShootersHill for ages last summer.

They use the big Georgian houses on Blackheath alot for filming as well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]They were filming some Indian soap opera down one of the roads off ShootersHill for ages last summer.

They use the big Georgian houses on Blackheath alot for filming as well.

They filmed a mini series with Robson Green there the other year, the one where he played a builder.
  • Options
    Yes mate house has fallen down now. Shit actor, shit builder !!

St pauls Church in Deptford used for Interview with a Vampire.

back streets of Deptford used to film the Krays.
  • Options
    Back streets of Greenwhich too
  • Options
    Parked up on Sunday on Westmount Park Road, walked round the park, around the packed market, round by the cutty, stopped for a coffee, back round the park, couldn't get a more relaxing day.

Love Greenwich. Best place in London and like me, so many of us probably take it for granted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ferrier Estate is in Nil By Mouth, Ray Winstone
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Parked up on Sunday on Westmount Park Road, walked round the park, around the packed market, round by the cutty, stopped for a coffee, back round the park, couldn't get a more relaxing day.

Love Greenwich. Best place in London and like me, so many of us probably take it for granted.

what time was that AFKA we walked up from charlton through westcombe park road (which is where i think you meant) and through the park and around. mind you we stopped in the Richard 1St pub... now thats the first time i've ever been in there - bloody lovely and took a while to leave there.
  • Options
    that's where i meant, parked up oppo the school.

About 11.30 - 2pm
  • Options
    When i used to live in Deptford Sundays in the summer was always Greenwich park, the pub, resturant, pub !

Stand near Wolfes statue and look out over the park and Museum and Naval College to London great great view.

How the hell the Naval College was ever given over to a load of unwashed students is stunning.
  • Options
    I got married in the painted hall at the naval college - we were one of the first weddings in there, so got the venue (painted hall, the restuarant underneath and the function room underneath the church on the other side) for £800 (in 1999)....think they charge about £15k a pop now...wonder how much they make from the filming..??

AFKA - your Sunday is what I used to do every Sunday before CC Junior came along....happy days....making sure the walk back was along the river, for a drink in the Traf, the Yacht and then the Cutty Sark...having been in the Plume, Coach and Richard 1st first....
  • Options
    they filmed some scenes from ashes to ashes outside charlton manor school the mrs is a teacher there saw gene hunt in all his glory, could go on for days about filming places in se london, would make a good bus tour ala del boy's effnick london!! all started i think with the film Blow up which was filmed in marian park in charlton in the 60's its on TCM a afir bit good to see what charlton looked like in the 60's. loads of filming is done down by the thames barrier, thamesmead used to be known as the hollywood of se london with Clock work orange and full metal jacket all filmed in thamesmead, sorry to go on but i work in tv and film so have a head full of locations.
  • Options
    We were a bit later than you AFKA. Think i was still asleep at 11.30. We do that walk most sundays but had been leaning to spending too much time in The Traf and Plume. now i will venture into Richard 1st much more. I want to try The Hill for food, i dont know much about it, just from the Phantom.

My friend got married in the painted hall also in 1999, november.
  • Options
    Belvedere Power Station was used for a film with Cilla Black called "work is a 4 letter word" . Shame was good 10 years pre me working there , would have loved to drop something very heavy on that womans head ! The "song" Step Inside Love sung by that scretching scouse thing has got to be the worst ever tune ever anywhere ever ever !
  • Options
    I glimpsed a film on late the other week -Things to do before your 30 - was quite a few location shots of Greenwich/Woolwich.
  • Options
    the back streets in greenwich have been used for everything from the krays to billie piper and sterophonics vid, a 1000 tress by sterophonics was filmed opposite greenwich swiming pool by the star and garter pub.