Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• Options
    I appreciate that news of Arsenal may not be that appealing, but I think at least if I had that I'd occasionally pick up a snippet of info that would help me converse with some of the many people in my area who support them. In contrast I get news reports about Peterborough United. My 27th nearest club and one that, outside of match days, I have never met a supporter of. 
  • Options
    rina said:
    I probably moaned about this on this thread this time last year but it's still bloody irritating

My car tax reminder turned up in the post yesterday so I went to pay it online straight away so I don't forget at the end of the month. However, as my MOT also expires on the last day of the month I can't do it as the system can't find a valid MOT for 1st November

So now I have to wait until I have the car tested in 2 weeks and hope I haven't forgotten about the tax by then
    You can get an MOT up to a month before expiry and still keep the same date, you don't have to wait until it expires

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    rina said:
    I probably moaned about this on this thread this time last year but it's still bloody irritating

My car tax reminder turned up in the post yesterday so I went to pay it online straight away so I don't forget at the end of the month. However, as my MOT also expires on the last day of the month I can't do it as the system can't find a valid MOT for 1st November

So now I have to wait until I have the car tested in 2 weeks and hope I haven't forgotten about the tax by then
    You can get an MOT up to a month before expiry and still keep the same date, you don't have to wait until it expires

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot
    yep, I know and will be getting it done 10 days before it's due. Despite that I can't tax the car when my reminder comes through, it's bonkers
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Regional news, full stop. Fine if you live in a big city, an atrocious waste of time and resources if you live in one of the BBC's cobbled together 'regions'.  I live 30 miles away from London, have an affinity with the city and a great many friends who commute there on a daily basis (as I have done in the past). I would love to get London news instead of the meaningless 'Look East' abomination that gives me mind-numbingly trivial stories about places that I rarely, if ever, go to. Some of the highlights this week:
    • Some people in Cromer, 100 miles away, won't be going swimming on Boxing Day. As if I care, I just hope that the good people of Norfolk get a news bulletin telling them that I won't be going swimming on Boxing Day either.
    • Some students in Colchester had a party.
    • Meanwhile students at EUA will have to do what everyone else does and pay for their own food whilst self-isolating. The scandal of it all.
    • The Uttlesford district has the highest covid levels in Essex. So what? Pick any county and one particular district will have the highest covid levels in it. Surely that doesn't count as news.
    • A man who runs a bookshop gets his customers to use hand sanitiser before browsing in his shop.
    • A charity in Suffolk is struggling.

I have the pleasure of "Looks West", generally stories about Bristol and how everyone there should be self flagellating given the cities historic links to slavery, and Geoff Twentyman telling me how shit Bristol Rovers and Yeovil Town are.

Still, where I live (some way from Bristol), this is the main headline in the local press:-

6th October

Wiltshire man denies stealing four chickens

A man denies stealing four chickens and a tractor from his ex in Tisbury last month.

Prosecutors allege Stuart Penny, 36, of no fixed address, was seen later that day driving around with the birds. It was claimed he said: “If you want these chickens back you know what to do.”

It is said he harassed an ex-partner and her new boyfriend between September 1 and October 1, 2020, by making unwanted phone calls, sending texts and going to their home. He is also accused of harassing a more recent former girlfriend on September 5.

Appearing before Swindon Magistrates’ Court via telephone from Melksham police station, Penny pleaded not guilty to three harassment charges, theft, and two allegations of criminal damage.

Richard Williams, defending, said his client vehemently denied any wrongdoing.,,,

He'll do bird for that.
    Fowl play suspected.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Regional news, full stop. Fine if you live in a big city, an atrocious waste of time and resources if you live in one of the BBC's cobbled together 'regions'.  I live 30 miles away from London, have an affinity with the city and a great many friends who commute there on a daily basis (as I have done in the past). I would love to get London news instead of the meaningless 'Look East' abomination that gives me mind-numbingly trivial stories about places that I rarely, if ever, go to. Some of the highlights this week:
    • Some people in Cromer, 100 miles away, won't be going swimming on Boxing Day. As if I care, I just hope that the good people of Norfolk get a news bulletin telling them that I won't be going swimming on Boxing Day either.
    • Meanwhile students at UEA will have to do what everyone else does and pay for their own food whilst self-isolating. The scandal of it all.
    • The Uttlesford district has the highest covid levels in Essex. So what? Pick any county and one particular district will have the highest covid levels in it. Surely that doesn't count as news.
    • A man who runs a bookshop gets his customers to use hand sanitiser before browsing in his shop.

Yep, on side note, and I don't know if there's another flavour of this story somewhere, but BBC South East no longer show coverage of Charlton (I think Airman picked up on this in the latest VOTV).  BBC South East, predominantly Kent which covers an  area where many Addicks live.  But, they do show the goals from Crawley and Brighton games in both of whom are based in Sussex.

Where's that remote control?

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    PopIcon said:
    Ant Mcpartlin, I have a strong urge to punch him in the mouth.

Which one is he?

Doesnt matter, punch them both just to be sure

Sounds like a plan.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Stig said:
    • Meanwhile students at EUA will have to do what everyone else does and pay for their own food whilst self-isolating. The scandal of it all.

I have the pleasure of "Looks West", generally stories about Bristol and how everyone there should be self flagellating given the cities historic links to slavery, and Geoff Twentyman telling me how shit Bristol Rovers and Yeovil Town are.

Still, where I live (some way from Bristol), this is the main headline in the local press:-

6th October

A man denies stealing four chickens and a tractor from his ex in Tisbury last month.

Prosecutors allege Stuart Penny, 36, of no fixed address, was seen later that day driving around with the birds. It was claimed he said: “If you want these chickens back you know what to do.”

It is said he harassed an ex-partner and her new boyfriend between September 1 and October 1, 2020, by making unwanted phone calls, sending texts and going to their home. He is also accused of harassing a more recent former girlfriend on September 5.

Appearing before Swindon Magistrates’ Court via telephone from Melksham police station, Penny pleaded not guilty to three harassment charges, theft, and two allegations of criminal damage.

Richard Williams, defending, said his client vehemently denied any wrongdoing.,,,

He'll do bird for that.
    Fowl play suspected.
    He'll get a poultry sentence.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Stig said:

6th October

He'll do bird for that.
    Fowl play suspected.
    We’ll find out when he goes up in front of the beak
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Stig said:

6th October

He'll do bird for that.
    Fowl play suspected.
    Will that be in the supreme court?
  • Options
    Reckon he'll wing it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    iaitch said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Stig said:

6th October

He'll do bird for that.
    Fowl play suspected.
    Will that be in the supreme court?
    In Kiev? 
  • Options
    Shit bird puns
  • Options
    Bird shit puns.

• Options
    The phrase 'IT Glitch'.  Blx, it's human error.
  • Options
    "Is this a series or film"
  • Options
    Just watched Premier league highlights from when we were in that league and relegated Palace. It showed a Newcastle clip of a fight between two Newcastle players............say no more
  • Options
    Just having totally wasted over an hour watching ITV on a Sunday evening. What a pile of shite, and yet it exerted such an insidious force of lethargy upon me that I could not stir myself to do something else.

• Options
    Carefully avoiding the Giro thread on here because I'm behind with my viewing, only to stumble into all the latest news on the Covid thread. 
  • Options
    Neighbors with leaf blowers, go away.!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leaf blowers....
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    Leaf blowers....

• Options
    Stig said:

Having lived in a London news area for the vast majority of my years I love the twee-ness and mundanity of local regional news.

Got sick of hearing about stabbings, socialites and Arsenal and now like occasionally catching wind of a tiddleywinks tournament in Lewes or a village bazaar in Tenterden
    Tenterden has the Thomas the Tank Engine line dont it? Bloody rip off.
    Nice pub called the White Swan or maybe White Hart i can't remember, but they do pretty nice grub.
    However they flatly refused to swap mash for chips on one dish and it really pissed me off. So made to pay for an egg cup full of chips when it would of been better customer service to to just swap.

• Options
    Every time I watch the news an owner of some crappy little gin bar is crying into the TV saying they are going out of business and will not recover. Every business sector is being affected and hundreds of thousands of peope have already lost their jobs.
  • Options
    Every time I watch the news an owner of some crappy little gin bar is crying into the TV saying they are going out of business and will not recover. Every business sector is being affected and hundreds of thousands of peope have already lost their jobs.
    I heard a casino owner complaining the other day. It was unbelievable.
  • Options
    Modern hoovers. Had 2 Dysons, both pretty hopeless and a Gtech, which is fucking useless, with the handheld that came with it even worse.
  • Options
    Modern hoovers. Had 2 Dysons, both pretty hopeless and a Gtech, which is fucking useless, with the handheld that came with it even worse.
    Get a Shark.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Get a Shark.
    Another vote for the shark, no expense on bags and wash the filters out under the tap. 👍
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Get a Shark.
    Cheers, will have a look at them