Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

pre season games

edited May 2008 in General Charlton
we excell in having the most boring games fixed up,the imagination of a dead snail

Comments

• pre-season games should be designed to prepare the team in the best possible way for the start of the season, no other reason, and certainly not to keep you and me happy.

As it happens, replacing MK Dons with Brighton is a masterstroke i think.
  • same every year though , I've been saying it for years. Even when we had the deal with inter they came over here and played palace and leicester!
  • well i think were due a game at the valley that excites us,like ac milan or something,masterstoke?? how many does withdean hold.
  • we must be happy at all times i repeat we must be happy at all times.
  • I know Valencia aint quite the team they were but we have the tie up with them so why no game at home?

after all they played us there .
  • I wouldnt be that excited if AC Milan came to The Valley and spanked us 12-0!
  • no chance of that pre season .

So he realistically would we like to see us play?

Villareal would be a nice one for me at the moment
  • I tell you what i am more than happy with Welling/Gillingham/Brighton and a decent ish mid-table european team at The Valley.

Hearts/Feyernood/Braga etc have all be decent clubs in the past.

The brighton away game has attracted more interest than many of our our league games and everyone loves the Welling game
  • I reckon we'll get someone pretty decent for Paddy Powell's testimonial.
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]we must be happy at all times i repeat we must be happy at all times.

judged on what ? because i disagree with your view ?

To get those big teams to come to you, it needs to be a provision in a transfer, or you have to pay them a fee. In recent years, the ability to plan pre-season friendlies with big clubs involved has got harder and harder, due to the increase in big clubs going on lucrative tours, the emergence of lucrative pre-season 4-6 team tournaments, and their earlier start to UEFA competitions.

Plus, what good preparation does it give by playing a) a big team and getting the run around for 90 mins, or b) a European side that play a different style of football to what we do ? If you went to the game against Jorge Costa's side last year (hardly anyone did), it was played at a snails pace with two very contrasting styles. It turned into a European game where Moo2 looked brilliant. 2 weeks later, Stoke roughed him up, and lost. Great preparation that.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

Yet still attracted piss poor crowds.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I reckon we'll get someone pretty decent for Paddy Powell's testimonial.

West Ham i heard.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

Yet still attracted piss poor crowds.
    I went to every one. ;-)
  • yep i nearly combusted when braga came to town,and the might of hearts had me in near panic,the imagination of these pre season games,who want rangers or ac milan.
  • Nolly if it costs money you know Charlton will not spend out. Rightfully or wrongly.
  • rangers at home or a top italian side a full house mate,il leave celtic out as i no they urinate everywhere..boom boom
  • Feyernord ? when did we play them then ? must have stayed in the pub cant remember it at all. 9-10,000 for those games aint bad.

Who did we play for steve Browns one ? was an Italian side and it went off abit.

had a good drink with a few Hearts fans in the RO before that game and i think Scott parker scored with a rocket if im correct.
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]yep i nearly combusted when braga came to town,and the might of hearts had me in near panic,the imagination of these pre season games,who want rangers or ac milan.

Was this what you look like when you heard the news

cletus.gif
  • got the same jaw line,i have family in kentucky you no
  • WSSWSS
    edited May 2008
    ooh ahh would be in his element if Rangers/Celtic came down - they'd be more of them than Charlton, and i dare say some Charlton fans would even convert for the day.

Feynerood was two years ago i think? Dirk Kuyt played up front, Bryan Hughes scored a penalty for us?

Was the italian team at home chievo?
  • Sponsored links:

• Chievo Verona, Hearts, Porto, Braga are the ones i can remember off the top of my head
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Chievo Verona, Hearts, Porto, Braga are the ones i can remember off the top of my head
    I'll see your club teams and raise you a national squad - the world class New Zealand
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I reckon we'll get someone pretty decent for Paddy Powell's testimonial.

Didn't he play for barnet before he came to us. I reckon it will be barnet or gillingham.

[cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]
    Who did we play for steve Browns one ? was an Italian side and it went off abit..

Yes it kicked of to the extent that the Ref asked the bench to take Chris Powell off before he was sent off after the Iti's booted Andy Hunt. Curbs vowed never to play a friendly against an italian team again, then set up the non match with Lazio.
  • Give me welling away any time.
  • its nancy isnt it???
  • [cite]Posted By: matt896[/cite]its nancy isnt it???
    What? That lot on telly with Graham Norton? Well, I suppose we might just manage to beat a bunch of girls..... ;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Chievo Verona, Hearts, Porto, Braga are the ones i can remember off the top of my head

NEC Njmegen for Sir Clives testimonial was a pre-season fixture.Now that was a piss-poor crowd.

• [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]I know Valencia aint quite the team they were but we have the tie up with them so why no game at home?

after all they played us there .

valencia away was brilliant - absolutely loved it. should do that again.
  • The Battle of the Champions against Vicenza. What a game that was. Pity there wasn't much football played.
  • Maybe we could get the same club for Paddy as we did for his first benefit game back in 83 against Spurs.