Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

This week I have been reading

Comments

• I've just read The Parisians by Marius Gabriel.  

The novel contains both real and fictional characters.  However, the book should be regarded as a work of imagination and not history. 

Having said that there is a real taste of the unique role played by the Ritz during the German occupation of France.  The Nazi officers who stayed there - including Hermann Goering, the actress Arletty and the perfume and fashion designer Coco Chanel - who was a Nazi sympathiser - all feature.  The book contains other real life characters and broadly follows their real life events.

Interwoven through these characters is a purely fictional love story that is played out through the resistance movement.

If you choose to read this book be sure to peruse the author's notes at the end, where the fate of the real life characters is recorded.

• I've just read books 3-6 of the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovich in 6 days whilst on holiday. Really enjoying them and have ordered the last few to get myself up to date.

Anyone else read them? Thoughts?
  • Just finished the second book by Ken Follet in the Fall of Giants series,over 900 pages but Mr Follet gets you hooked,I have the third book but will save it for later.Just half way through Gates of Athens by Conn Iggulden,another trioligy which has got me hooked,just love this guys books going back to the Genghis Khan series.
  • edited September 2022
    Edvard Munch - Behind The Scream by Sue Prideaux. So far so good, I haven't screamed once.
  • White Line Fever, Lemmy’s autobiography. I like but am not a huge fan of Motörhead but picked it up on a charity stall recently. Clearly an intelligent guy but a fucking headcase. Proper old school rock star though, makes the likes of the Gallaghers etc look like puritans.
  • I've just read books 3-6 of the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovich in 6 days whilst on holiday. Really enjoying them and have ordered the last few to get myself up to date.

lot of references on here to this series .. never read any, SO .. just ordered a 2nd hand (could be 3rd or 4th) copy of the first (10th anniversary edition) of the first book from AmaZon

I devour any Aaronovich as soon as it is released. The Rivers series is excellent and the main characters are people that you can relate to, which seems a strange thing to say given the subject matter and the demi monde they live in. The writer's love of London also shines through though not through rose tinted specs which makes it even more surprising.

There are also a few very subtle links (Easter eggs?) to the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher another one of my favourite series. 

• Just finished 'Ink Black Heart' .. Galbraith/Rowling .. I enjoyed all this series .. this one is VERY long, over 1000 pages and as usual it draws you in

Went to the local Waterstones this a.m. just for a look-see .. spotted 'The Brothers', Jack and Bobby Charlton biography .. had to buy it and will start it soon after I've finished 'The Amur River', another superlative Colin Thubron travel/political/historical/human interest book about the river that divides Russian Siberia and China, its people, its crumbling cities and troubles
  • On the second book of Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch detective series books, really enjoying them so far.
  • On the second book of Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch detective series books, really enjoying them so far.
    enjoy .. there are a lot more to go  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• History of Aston Martin by Ben Collins, ex. Stig, car fans only obviously but an interesting little book and quite witty.
  • Just finished 'Ink Black Heart' .. Galbraith/Rowling .. I enjoyed all this series .. this one is VERY long, over 1000 pages and as usual it draws you in

Read it on holiday … excellent 
  • Has anyone got any suggestions for British thriller/action books in the vein of Andy McNabb/Lee Childs please?
  • Thought Ink Black Heart was a little bit of a letdown to be honest - it wasn't bad, but I much preferred Troubled Blood, which was the best in the series for me.

Spoilers as to why on IBH:

I didn't think the clues were there to be seen as much as Rowling's usual work - normally on a second listen they're all there hidden away if you can piece them together but I wasn't so sure this time - maybe a second listen will show a few more, beyond the sister trying to ask them to revisit etc.

I thought it was a shame that they didn't interview Gus Upcott at any stage, so you didn't get that motivation as clearly or see him trying to throw them off.

And the ending felt a bit rushed, you didn't find out exactly what happened in the cemetery, or quite what Gus did at North Grove etc.

• edited October 2022
    I've just finished Injury Time, which is Duncan Hamilton's first fiction book. 

It's a fictionalised autobiography about a kid growing up as the son of a player, then through his playing days under a legendary manager (and playing an FA cup final in the 80s), then onto him getting made caretaker manager at the same club later on.

The team is never actually named but its clearly written around Forest and a fictionalised (Scottish) version of Brian Clough.

Really enjoyed it.
  • Thought Ink Black Heart was a little bit of a letdown to be honest - it wasn't bad, but I much preferred Troubled Blood, which was the best in the series for me.

I didn't think the clues were there to be seen as much as Rowling's usual work - normally on a second listen they're all there hidden away if you can piece them together but I wasn't so sure this time - maybe a second listen will show a few more, beyond the sister trying to ask them to revisit etc.

I thought it was a shame that they didn't interview Gus Upcott at any stage, so you didn't get that motivation as clearly or see him trying to throw them off.

And the ending felt a bit rushed, you didn't find out exactly what happened in the cemetery, or quite what Gus did at North Grove etc.

Not read IBH yet, but I agree, Troubled Blood was excellent.
  • Finished the Pauline Black (The Selecter) book, Black by Design recently. Fantastic book, a must for anyone remotely interested or not in the 2 Tone scene.
  • Finished Frankie Boyle's debut novel last week (Meantime) was very good, insane, but very good. About to finish  Jen Offord's Year of the Robin, which is a decent read and will then move onto either the new Irvine Welsh (second in the "Crime" series) or the new Richard Osman.
  • Just finished Falcons of Sparta,3rd book about the Grecian Persian wars that included the 300.A superb triology written by Con Iggulden.

I would agree with that and felt all the other books in the series were put together much better and were punchier for being shorter. Although it was a very long read, it was an easy read and compelling to reach to the end. I had suspected it would be the last of the series being so long but I suspect not now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Another Country by James Baldwin. About love, sex, sexuality, race, country. Powerful story, beautiful writing.
    Have you read his Just Above My Head? Absolutely superb…
  • Just finished Patti Smith’s M Train, now onto Elizabeth Strout’s Abide with Me. 100 pages in and all good so far.

Went to the local Waterstones this a.m. just for a look-see .. spotted 'The Brothers', Jack and Bobby Charlton biography .. had to buy it and will start it soon after I've finished 'The Amur River', another superlative Colin Thubron travel/political/historical/human interest book about the river that divides Russian Siberia and China, its people, its crumbling cities and troubles
    The Brothers is by Jonathon Wilson isn’t it? I’ve heard him talking about it and it sounds like it’ll be a really good read.

I would agree with that and felt all the other books in the series were put together much better and were punchier for being shorter. Although it was a very long read, it was an easy read and compelling to reach to the end. I had suspected it would be the last of the series being so long but I suspect not now.
    She's got at least up to the tenth one planned apparently.

She's got at least up to the tenth one planned apparently.
    One thing that did jar on me and I hope this doesn’t count as a spoiler, is that the book was set in 2015, with no real reason to not bring it a bit forward. 
  • They've always been set slightly in the past - Lethal White was out in about 2018 I think and set in 2012 as it had the Olympics etc.

I guess it allows a bit of breathing room and hindsight with current affairs etc.

The Brothers is by Jonathon Wilson isn’t it? I’ve heard him talking about it and it sounds like it’ll be a really good read.
    had a quick browse through and it is very well written, Wilson has written a lot of books about football and loves the game as well as knowing a great deal about it

the protagonists have still to consummate their withheld passions !! .. when (or if) that happens I am sure that will really be the end of the series .. and Galbraith/Rowling will move on the write about pastures new 
  • Been on a Graham Greene binge recently. Just finished The End of The Affair which was turgid. No idea why I keep reading his books because I've only ever enjoyed one of them (The Quiet American), despite thinking he's quite an accomplished writer. Anyone strongly recommend any of his others?
  • Been on a Graham Greene binge recently. Just finished The End of The Affair which was turgid. No idea why I keep reading his books because I've only ever enjoyed one of them (The Quiet American), despite thinking he's quite an accomplished writer. Anyone strongly recommend any of his others?
    The Third Man, Our Man in Havana, Brighton Rock .. read a lot of his stuff but all a long time ago .. he is defo a writer of 'his time' , the 30s, 40s and 50s and I bet he seems very old school, stiff upper lip nowadays .. the film adaptations of his books are probably better than the novels