Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options
    Reprint of X-Men issues 56 to 63 and 65 by Roy Thomas and Neal Adams.  These are the comics that, despite Thomas's rather clunky dialogue, brought Adams to public notice.  Like Jim Steranko and Barry Windsor Smith, he's one of the great comic artists of the end of the '60s.

I bought this hardback, oversize reprint for £29 so I can sell off my originals which at a rough calculation will get me around £800.
  • Options
    The Salt Path by Raynor Winn.

Got sucked in by the beautiful cover:

and the fact I love a walking/cycling/road trip type book generally.  I really didn't like it - awful woman, dull book.

She and her husband lose their farm and home through their own poor investment (despite apparently having the evidence to prove their case during a 3 year long court case), and never in that 3 years do they apparently make a back up plan for just in case they lose.

Her husband is then diagnosed with a terminal rare type of dementia (which, if true, is very sad), and as they "only have a week" (after the 3 years), they get very snooty about having to live in a council house and get a job that she considers beneath her, decide to go on a benefit funded walking and sulking holiday on the South West Coast Path instead, sleeping in a tent on the way.

She then spends 200 pages whinging about this despite it being their fault and their choice, and pages on end of 'woe is me' stuff gets really tiring.

They steal stuff, pitch up on campsites (and use the showers etc too) without paying, shit everywhere without burying it as a small trowel would apparently make all the difference in weight in their bags, get shirty if cafes don't provide a pot of boiling water and a seat so they can make their own tea and pay the cafe nothing, and are rude to basically everyone they meet.

She even gets sarcastic about a friend who kindly puts them up for the winter period in a barn, gets Raynor some temporary work and then dares to ask them to do a bit of decorating to the barn in lieu of month's worth of rent.

She also fails to describe much of the amazing scenery etc which is basically what I want in a travel book (along with a bit of wit, again lacking).

I mean, good call to do this in a way, she got a holiday and then a book out of it.  

Rant over.   :D

Cover is really nice though, eh?
    Sounds almost like an admission of various crimes including benefit fraud and littering.  Perhaps the DHSS would like to buy a copy.
    Yep, if I remember rightly it was working tax credits they were getting, under the address they no longer lived (or worked) at.

So they weren't entitled to it, and still got self-righteous about it all.

No mention by her anywhere I can find of doing the decent thing and paying a bit back to the campsites, shop etc once she'd sold a few books.
  • Options
    I’ve just read my first book by Kazuo Ishiguro The remains of the Day. Very well written and a nice plodding storyline regarding the life of a butler which somehow reminded me of Evelyn Waugh’s book The Decline and Fall. Maybe the same period. I’ve heard that its been made into a film which Anthony Hopkins played a role. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Solidgone said:
    I’ve just read my first book by Kazuo Ishiguro The remains of the Day. Very well written and a nice plodding storyline regarding the life of a butler which somehow reminded me of Evelyn Waugh’s book The Decline and Fall. Maybe the same period. I’ve heard that its been made into a film which Anthony Hopkins played a role. 
    The film was good. Would be interesting to hear how it compares if you get to see it, #Solidgone
  • Options
    Reading Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart, grim story but beautifully told, in my view. Others in our book group not enjoying the 'grim' as much as I am. But none of us are finished yet. Interested if others have had a go.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Solidgone said:
    The film was good. Would be interesting to hear how it compares if you get to see it, #Solidgone
    I decided to watch the film tonight and must say that it was a very good adaption of the book. Anthony Hopkins acting excels again which really brought out the subtleties of love he had for Miss Keaton via the non-verbal communication more so than the book. Stevens stubbornness to accept love was akin to the role of TS Elliott in Shadowlands (another great film), although TS Elliot gets the gal. I think I might of struggled with the film if I hadn’t read the book which was mainly down to the changing to and fro from present and past which is easier to pick up in the book. @Algarveaddick
  • Options
    Reading Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart, grim story but beautifully told, in my view. Others in our book group not enjoying the 'grim' as much as I am. But none of us are finished yet. Interested if others have had a go.
    Heard really good things but think maybe it's one you need to be in the right mood for/have time to get into etc?
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Solidgone said:
    I decided to watch the film tonight and must say that it was a very good adaption of the book. Anthony Hopkins acting excels again which really brought out the subtleties of love he had for Miss Keaton via the non-verbal communication more so than the book. Stevens stubbornness to accept love was akin to the role of TS Elliott in Shadowlands (another great film), although TS Elliot gets the gal. I think I might of struggled with the film if I hadn’t read the book which was mainly down to the changing to and fro from present and past which is easier to pick up in the book. @Algarveaddick
    Thank you, I think I will read the book prior to watching the film again. 
  • Options
    We were wandering down a Napier road and came across several boxes of books and lp records being given away for nothing.  There was nothing there which appealed until my daughter in law picked up a near-new hardback copy of Parky - the autobiography of Michael Parkinson.

Such a good read and recommended for anyone interested in the rich and famous with a bit of tittle tattle thrown in.  In over 800 interviews the ones he missed and would very much have like to interview were Frank Sinatra and Katharine Hepburn.  The ones he most enjoyed were Billy Connolly who he interviewed several times and Muhammad Ali who he interviewed 4 times.

Parky was passionate about his cricket which wasn’t surprising given his father made sure he was born in Yorkshire to qualify for the county, that being a necessary qualification.  He was a contemporary of Geoff Boycott and in awe of Fred Trueman.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Solidgone said:
    It was C S Lewis and not T S Elliot in shadowlands *note to self…must remember not to rely on my memory 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    There is a highfalutin documentary on Kazuo Ishiguro presently available on BBC catch-up called Imagine ...  

(Spoiler alert don't read next paragraph)

Fascinating section on Remains of the Day:  Ishiguro says an English butler is the perfect representation of those who deny personal emotion - most of us in varying degrees I suppose.  The author admits that he had finished the book, but realized  something was missing.  It transpires a Tom Waits album track inspired the heart breaking scene at the end of the book where Stevens character finally cracks when he meets Miss Kenton in later life.  Alas, all a bit too late :neutral:
  • Options
    Hummingbird -Salamander - Jeff Vandermeer. I enjoy reading Vandermeer’s novels Southern Reach trilogy was great and this is as good. More of an eco dystopian thriller a real page turner with a brilliant ending
  • Options
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    There is a highfalutin documentary on Kazuo Ishiguro presently available on BBC catch-up called Imagine ...  

Fascinating section on Remains of the Day:  Ishiguro says an English butler is the perfect representation of those who deny personal emotion - most of us in varying degrees I suppose.  The author admits that he had finished the book, but realized  something was missing.  It transpires a Tom Waits album track inspired the heart breaking scene at the end of the book where Stevens character finally cracks when he meets Miss Kenton in later life.  Alas, all a bit too late :neutral:
    Not read the paragraph, as instructed, but I will certainly check that out. Thanks for the heads up. 
  • Options
    A Song for Demeter - interesting,  worth a look.
  • Options
    March Violets by Philip Kerr. As recommended by a fellow lifer (foregive me, it was a while ago and I cannot recall who it was), and it did not disappoint. Like a Mickey Spillane set in Nazi Germany. Some good humor, inevitably some of it pretty dark, a good storyline and well written. I will certainly read the next two books in the trilogy.   
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Watched this doc - very good. Ishiguro came over very well, interesting and down to earth. A big music fan and a musician too.
  • Options
    Born Survivors,by Wendy Holden,tells the story of 3 pregnant women who were at Aushwitz and although all there at the same time,did not know each other.All babies survived and are still alive today,dont read without an enormous box of tissues nearby.
  • Options
    Erebus
    The story of a ship.

Michael Palin

Excellent book, not just about the Franklin expedition but the ships previous voyages to Australia, New Zealand and the Antarctic.
  • Options
    Erebus
    The story of a ship.

Michael Palin

Excellent book, not just about the Franklin expedition but the ships previous voyages to Australia, New Zealand and the Antarctic.
    Agreed. Enjoyed reading that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also enjoyed Erebus, this week it's 'slow hand ' for me, an Eric Clapton biography. 
  • Options

and the fact I love a walking/cycling/road trip type book generally.  I really didn't like it - awful woman, dull book.

She and her husband lose their farm and home through their own poor investment (despite apparently having the evidence to prove their case during a 3 year long court case), and never in that 3 years do they apparently make a back up plan for just in case they lose.

Her husband is then diagnosed with a terminal rare type of dementia (which, if true, is very sad), and as they "only have a week" (after the 3 years), they get very snooty about having to live in a council house and get a job that she considers beneath her, decide to go on a benefit funded walking and sulking holiday on the South West Coast Path instead, sleeping in a tent on the way.

She then spends 200 pages whinging about this despite it being their fault and their choice, and pages on end of 'woe is me' stuff gets really tiring.

They steal stuff, pitch up on campsites (and use the showers etc too) without paying, shit everywhere without burying it as a small trowel would apparently make all the difference in weight in their bags, get shirty if cafes don't provide a pot of boiling water and a seat so they can make their own tea and pay the cafe nothing, and are rude to basically everyone they meet.

She even gets sarcastic about a friend who kindly puts them up for the winter period in a barn, gets Raynor some temporary work and then dares to ask them to do a bit of decorating to the barn in lieu of month's worth of rent.

She also fails to describe much of the amazing scenery etc which is basically what I want in a travel book (along with a bit of wit, again lacking).

I mean, good call to do this in a way, she got a holiday and then a book out of it.  

Am currently half way through this as my wife and I are walkers, so thought it might be a read. Wife has already read it and warned me about the whinging!
    I'd be interested to know what you thought once you finish it mate!

Seems a popular book I've got "is it just me?" type feelings on it!!
    I finished The Salt Path @North Lower Neil.

As my wife and I are keen walkers, I was obviously drawn to this book as we are itching to take on another long distance hike again such as another Camino and thoughts perhaps the South West Coast Path might be an alternative. The back story of them becoming homeless through a failed investment in a friend's business and having to manage the husband's illness was obviously a large factor in the book's success. However, the fact they hadn't even apparently thought of or prepared for the consequences of losing their court case made me feel less sympathetic to their plight (must be the organiser in me!). Of course the fact that the husband had to manage his illness through the rigours of the walk, and succeeded, was tremendous. It would have been nice if the book included more details about the path, scenery etc, but I guess that would have attracted less readers if it had been at the expense of a fuller account of their overall struggles. I would give it a 6 out of 10.

I just read on article about the author Raynor Winn. In January 2020 a businessman who read her book offered the couple an old farmhouse in Cornwall which had been lying empty. The neglected land had been overworked and he wanted them to bring the land back to life, remove the detritus of heavy agricultural use and encourage wildlife back to the farmland. Her husband, Moth, has long outlived his initial prognosis of 6-8 years, and although he is not as healthy as at the time they finished their walk in 2013, is managing. She has a new book out titled "Wild Silence".  
  • Options
    Pig Island by Mo Hayder. Not good. More of a horror story than a detective thriller. Overlong and badly paced with a disappointing ending.    
  • Options

Am currently half way through this as my wife and I are walkers, so thought it might be a read. Wife has already read it and warned me about the whinging!
    I'd be interested to know what you thought once you finish it mate!

Seems a popular book I've got "is it just me?" type feelings on it!!
    I finished The Salt Path @North Lower Neil.

As my wife and I are keen walkers, I was obviously drawn to this book as we are itching to take on another long distance hike again such as another Camino and thoughts perhaps the South West Coast Path might be an alternative. The back story of them becoming homeless through a failed investment in a friend's business and having to manage the husband's illness was obviously a large factor in the book's success. However, the fact they hadn't even apparently thought of or prepared for the consequences of losing their court case made me feel less sympathetic to their plight (must be the organiser in me!). Of course the fact that the husband had to manage his illness through the rigours of the walk, and succeeded, was tremendous. It would have been nice if the book included more details about the path, scenery etc, but I guess that would have attracted less readers if it had been at the expense of a fuller account of their overall struggles. I would give it a 6 out of 10.

I just read on article about the author Raynor Winn. In January 2020 a businessman who read her book offered the couple an old farmhouse in Cornwall which had been lying empty. The neglected land had been overworked and he wanted them to bring the land back to life, remove the detritus of heavy agricultural use and encourage wildlife back to the farmland. Her husband, Moth, has long outlived his initial prognosis of 6-8 years, and although he is not as healthy as at the time they finished their walk in 2013, is managing. She has a new book out titled "Wild Silence".  
    Glad you got a bit more out if it than me mate.

I saw the other day that she's now walking the Cape Wrath Trail up in Scotland so I presume that'll be book number 3.
  • Options
    Just finished The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman. It's by far the best selling paperback at the moment. It's a decent yarn, easy reading.
  • Options
    Just finished The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman. It's by far the best selling paperback at the moment. It's a decent yarn, easy reading.
    Exactly how I found it, not a gripping page turner but a really gentle, funny read for a murder mystery.
  • Options
    The Kings Deception by Steve Berry. Great read, as are all Berry's books. He cleverly weaves a made up story around historical facts, this time set in England involving a four-hundred year old secret that could undermine peace in Northern Ireland. Fast paced and fascinating with terrific attention to detail. Highly recommended.     
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Mistakes Were Made ( But Not By Me ). Why we justify foolish beliefs, bad decisions and hurtful acts - Carol Tavris and Elliott Aronson

I recently started listening to Sean Carroll’s Mindscape podcast and Carol Tavris was featured in the first episode, exploring the effects that cognitive dissonance has on how we think which led me to get the book she co-wrote with Elliott Aronson. Thought provoking and thoroughly interesting read on self justification. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Re-reading Ray Davies (The Kinks) autobiography "X Ray".
  • Options
    I have read so many books during lockdown, fact, fiction and facfiction (is that a genre ?) that I have lost count .. just hope the floor in the spare room upstairs can stand the weight of the bookpile