Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shelvey will get freedon to express himself

from the Kent Messenger

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kol08/article/default.asp?article_id=41458

Jonjo Shelvey, Charlton’s 16-year-old schoolboy starlet, will be allowed to develop naturally, manager Alan Pardew promised.

Shelvey, who made his league debut at Barnsley and kept his place in the side a week later in the season’s finale against Coventry, became a shining light in a deeply disappointing end-of-season as the Addicks missed the boat for the play-offs.

Pardew confessed: “I don’t need to coach him. In fact he gets so little instruction because he plays the game naturally.

“I promise we will not complicate the way Jonjo plays because too many young players get too much coaching.

“Jonjo’s got a natural gift for knowing what’s the right pass and the right decision. Coaching can take that away from young players, so he will get total freedom here.

“There are certain things regarding the team unit he needs to learn but I’ll just let him play.”

On Shelvey’s future prospects and establishing himself in the side next season, Pardew added: “If I was a Charlton supporter I would be rubbing my hands looking forward to watching him play next season.

“Just how much he plays is uncertain because he’s still at school and won’t be 17 until February next year.

“He’s incredible because he has a man’s body and a good mentality.”

Pardew reiterated that he is keen to bring in three or four new players who have a strong mentality to bolster next season’s squad.

“If we can do that, we’ll have a lot stronger season,” he said.

The Addicks have secured goalkeeper Rob Elliot and defender Grant Basey on new contracts while Kelly Youga is believed to be on the verge of signing a new deal.

Comments

• Options
    Total freedom to sign for West Ham???
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]Total freedom to sign for West Ham???[/quote]

Except that.

I just hope that over the next few seasons Jonjo is brought on sensibly and not over-played. As he gets better he'll be a marked man.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]Total freedom to sign for West Ham???

He aint signing for anyone he's signed for Charlton !!!!! Fact !!!!!
  • Options
    Uncle

thanks for that i believe it is something we are all worried about since defoe

I can honestly say that in all my tendor years of charltondom no player has got me anticipating a new season like young jon jo i am of the opinion when your good enuff your old enuff and i would play him until i see signs of fatigue or until i thought he was getting whacked with no protection, to me he is big enough body wise to look after himself and i and others have been screaming for him to have been in the team long before barnsley
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Uncle

thanks for that i believe it is something we are all worried about since defoe

No worries he aint anything like defoe... He actually really likes it there and likes pards and cant wait for the new season. No one needs to worry about him going
  • Options
    he sounds like a very well brought up young man and long may it continue in the red shirt fo Charlton - he can make his career swansong at West Ham to save them from relegation to the vauxhall conference LOL
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]he sounds like a very well brought up young man and long may it continue in the red shirt fo Charlton - he can make his career swansong at West Ham to save them from relegation to the vauxhall conference LOL

Ha ha steady on i've spent a fortune on that team
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Not as much as Curbs!
  • Options
    uncle - Can you please advise on Jonjo's hairstyle. Is it a medical condition or personal preference?

I was asked at work recently and didnt know and i am the onlk Addick in my neck of the woods
  • Options
    Jonjo Shelvey....Son of Ketman...FACT41458_0_l.jpg
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]Total freedom to sign for West Ham???

He aint signing for anyone he's signed for Charlton !!!!! Fact !!!!!

I didn't mean it!!

Everyone knows Jonjo is palace.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]Jonjo Shelvey....Son of Ketman...FACT41458_0_l.jpg

hahahahahahahhaha

that is excellent Dan.
  • Options
    its OK the big clubs know they can get him for peanuts later if he so much as shakes his rattle.... why not have us paying him till then?

:)
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ketman aged 16:

kettersjw9.jpg
  • Options
    shouldn't he have a west ham scarf on?
  • Options
    Ha ha ha
  • Options
    That is a west ham scarf !!!!!
  • Options
    Ketter doesnt wear a real scarf, it's one of those thin girly things ;-)
  • Options
    LOL Very Good Guys, he's far to handsome to be related to me though !
  • Options
    “I promise we will not complicate the way Jonjo plays because too many young players get too much coaching."

Maybe thats where he went wrong with the rest of the squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2008
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]uncle - Can you please advise on Jonjo's hairstyle. Is it a medical condition or personal preference? I was asked at work recently and didnt know and i am the onlk Addick in my neck of the woods

Its medical
  • Options
    I wonder if this statement comes from some kind of guarantee to him as a player to keep him with us..
  • Options
    cheers uncle

i hope its nothing he is sensitive about as i forsee fans in swimming hats in the future if he turns out to be a cult hero!
  • Options
    Jon jo is a cult hero already i dont think it is peoples high expectations of him for next year as i dont really want to heap pressure on the lad i reckon by this time next year the whole team will be full of players from the yoof

Jon jo stood out for england and us this year and must be extreemly proud of his last season

waggy will be class

solly looked amazingly solid

Ucheci will terrorise defenders when biger

yuseff has bags of talent

Godfrey looked like an exciting prospect

i cant wait to see them all together and it would be great if in 2 years the lot of them are in the team because they looked like they really played for eachother in years gone by we have had one or two this year there are 6 -7 that could make it if they continue the progress
  • Options
    i dont think godfrey will end up mking a first team start IMHO
  • Options
    i reckon he could make the grade Steve especially if we are still in this league
  • Options
    too lightweight,reminds me very much of alex varney.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]too lightweight,reminds me very much of alex varney.[/quote]

Still got time to beef up. Steak, chips and Guinness will do him good.

Look at Crouch
  • Options
    Still young though i reckon we will be singing his name soon enough and who was the young centre mid Alex something i think he looked extreemly composed