Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sam Sodje

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: EGAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I partly agree with you there and think he can be unreliable at times, but then i think of who we'd get for virtually no transfer fee and affordable wages, that is better than him?

That's Pardew's job! ;-)

[cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Okay, EGA, 2 games when he may have cost us ...... but he also played his part superbly, especially before Xmas, after which suspension and injury kept him out for quite a while. So plenty of games when his contribution helped win us points.

He was suspended for a short while but kept out of the team mainly because Bougherra came back from injury. He started in about 20 games and was named as a sub for another 10+, featuring in a total of 27 games. Certainly whenever McCarthy and Bougherra were both fit and available Pardew favoured them two, especially towards the end of the season.

I don't think he was a total disaster but I really didn't like the play-acting. Mills got a lot of stick for costing us points with his personal vendettas on the pitch particularly against Hull, but for me Sodje behaved just as poorly at times yet didn't quite get the same reaction from the crowd.

4 games suspended, EGA, then he was out for a long time after a bad gash on his arm.
    Boogy was injured during the Palace game and didn't play again until he came on as sub away at Argyle in April, so both he and Sodje were out injured together for a while.

I do agree with you that he could be rash at times with his timing - but in the matches I saw him play, I don't remember him having personal vendettas - and overall, I felt his commitment was good.

There's no doubt that there are better quality centrebacks around - but are they available and can we afford them?
    In the meantime, he's a local lad who was proud to play for his local club, and I'm sure he'd do a decent job if signed.
  • Options
    I'd like us to sign Sodje. I think some people are being a bit harsh, as I remember him doing a decent job overall.

Obviously, his best attribute is his aerial ability. If he was equally good on the ground then he'd be worth millions! We have to accept we can't afford the best players anymore.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    we're talking about a squad player here, not our answer to rio or jt.

he'd be a very good signing for us
  • Options
    Sodje did a good job for us and i reckon he wants to be here also which can only be good get him in i say
  • Options
    Lives in Greenwich - and so do most of his family. Handy for him, handy for us.
  • Options
    Fortune and Sodje played well together last season.
  • Options
    Agreed, Len.

It's all about the combination - as McCarthy & Boogie proved also
  • Options
    I like the bloke, everyone always ask's for an old charlton commitment, wants to die for the club.....he is a classic example. Maybe alongside hudson his errors would be covered, instead of being alsong side a similar player like paddy. It would also allow the option of putting Bougy in midfield.
  • Options
    Also gives us the opportunity to play 3-5-2 . Moutouakil, and Youga to a lesser extent, are better going forward than defensively, so if we've got Hudson and Sodje as centre backs, Bougherra sweeping up in front of them, then the wing backs can push forward and give the opposition full backs more to worry about.
  • Options
    We are down to three CB's, we don't have any/much money and probably can't afford better...

Sodje is local, he's probably cheap - knowing that Reading want to get shot of him should make a transfer affordable, he played on loan and didn't disgrace himself and even chipped in with a few goals and would be a great addition to the squad. If Bougherra stays he and Hudson will likely be the starting CBs and Sodje would be great to have on the bench making a few starts here and there as needed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2008
    I quite like Sodje and I think he's well worth a punt,comes up with the odd goal here and there too.Needs to keep his head though, maybe "Oooooo Mr 'Udson" can help out in that department.