Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sam Sodje

edited May 2008 in General Charlton
"I came here to help get Charlton promoted so I'm disappointed we didn't achieve that, but I'm a local lad and to play for my local team has been a really good thing for me."

Is that the sort of player we want in our 1st team?
In the immortal words of the, erm, lamentably absent Nolly, discuss............

Comments

• I'd say yes. Although he's prone to the occasional gaffe on the deck, he's our best defender in the air by a mile. Wages may be a problem though.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]I'd say yes. Although he's prone to the occasional gaffe on the deck, he's our best defender in the air by a mile. Wages may be a problem though.[/quote]

He's out of contract, whether we sign him full time or not I don't know and I think will depend on who of Fortune, McCarthy and Bougherra we get rid of. Plus we have Monteiro coming through.
  • I wouldnt hold your breath about Monteiro BFR. I wasnt impressed with what i ve seen of him, and wearing a head band doesnt help.
  • It's the local aspect that intrigues me ......local lad wanting to play for his local team
  • I'd like to see us sign Sodje. I don't think he'll be on shitloads at Reading so shouldn't break the bank.
  • If reading do get relegated then Lita becomes a possiblity as well.
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]If reading do get relegated then Lita becomes a possiblity as well.

I think if Lita is sold he will go to a lower prem club to be honest.
  • where you beering tomorrow ?
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]where you beering tomorrow ?

Down the Anchor I think.
  • Oi, you lot......keep on topic. This is the Sam Sodje thread ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• are you wss are you wss are you wss in disguise
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]are you wss are you wss are you wss in disguise

Right, mate.....that does it. You're BANNED!

;o)
  • wrong thread your in trouble now.
  • Don't tell, AFKA ........please. I could get banned for this .........
  • Given the lack of cover at center back and the sentiments quoted by Oggy above, is there any possibility that Pards will be trying to bring Sodje back? Coppell's told him he is as good as gone and there doesn't seem to be better options (sell Fortune, pick up Sodje?): http://www.getwokingham.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2032488_sodjes_days_are_numbered
  • [cite]Posted By: BexleyRed[/cite]I wouldnt hold your breath about Monteiro BFR. I wasnt impressed with what i ve seen of him, and wearing a head band doesnt help.

Just in case anyone missed it Monteiro is gone Surplus requirements
  • Sodje attacked the aerial balls better than any other CH last season. For that reason alone he's worth considering. His limitations when forced to actually kick a ball mean that we shouldn't try and break the bank for him though.
  • I quite liked Sodje, wasn't the best but he was fairly solid. And given our lack of centre backs I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Charlton shirt next year.
  • last year of contract, only cost Reading 350k, only played 7 games for them, two loan spells, can't demand a lot, wages off books, we'd get him for 200k max and for that he's definately worth it.
  • he would definitely be worth considering as back up. i've wanted him to sign permanently since he first came here on loan. would still need to keep fortune though
  • Sponsored links:

• With our lack of cover in that area i can't help but think if Pards was interested then we'd have him signed by now surely?
  • edited July 2008
    I was really put off by his play-acting in a few games for us last season, where he got caught out with the ball, tackled, rolled around pretending his was injured etc. I believe in one game (Preston at home I think) this cost us a goal.

Oh and the horror tackle at Norwich which cost us 2 points.
  • edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: EGAddick[/cite]I was really put off by his play-acting in a few games for us last season, where he got caught out with the ball, tackled, rolled around pretending his was injured etc. I believe in one game (Preston at home I think) this cost us a goal.

Oh and the horror tackle at Norwich which cost us 2 points.

I partly agree with you there and think he can be unreliable at times, but then i think of who we'd get for virtually no transfer fee and affordable wages, that is better than him?
  • Okay, EGA, 2 games when he may have cost us ...... but he also played his part superbly, especially before Xmas, after which suspension and injury kept him out for quite a while. So plenty of games when his contribution helped win us points.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I partly agree with you there and think he can be unreliable at times, but then i think of who we'd get for virtually no transfer fee and affordable wages, that is better than him?[/quote]

That's Pardew's job! ;-)

[quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Okay, EGA, 2 games when he may have cost us ...... but he also played his part superbly, especially before Xmas, after which suspension and injury kept him out for quite a while. So plenty of games when his contribution helped win us points.[/quote]

He was suspended for a short while but kept out of the team mainly because Bougherra came back from injury. He started in about 20 games and was named as a sub for another 10+, featuring in a total of 27 games. Certainly whenever McCarthy and Bougherra were both fit and available Pardew favoured them two, especially towards the end of the season.

I don't think he was a total disaster but I really didn't like the play-acting. Mills got a lot of stick for costing us points with his personal vendettas on the pitch particularly against Hull, but for me Sodje behaved just as poorly at times yet didn't quite get the same reaction from the crowd.
  • edited July 2008
    I think we should steer clear. He won't be a regular and I would like to think we can sign someone with more potential or who has Premiership experience. From what I've seen, although he is good in the air, he is inconsistent, his positional sense lets him down, he has no left foot, and his passing wouldn't assist our style of play.
  • Timar has signed a new contract at Plymouth
  • Coppell has apparently told Sodjie ''that it would be in his best interest to look for another club'', according to sky sports - hmmmm!
  • In the Sun this morning now that were interested in Signing him......

I for one would think it would be a good signing - Coppell doesnt want him so should be cheap
  • i think we could get him for about 250k with the added bonus that he knows the set up already and would not take time to gel.