Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kevin Philips

2»

Comments

• [quote][cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]

An amazing player, certainly one of the best English finishers we have seen in recent times, bettered only by Fowler, Lineker and Shearer in modern English football.[/quote]

Clive Mendonca disagree ;)
  • [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]2] How stupid must Tony Mowbray be feeling? .

Mowbray is showing what a good manager he is at Celtic, they could finish third in a two horse race.

Lol, I said this when they appointed him, another "wannabee" manager.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite] An amazing player, certainly one of the best English finishers we have seen in recent times, bettered only by Fowler, Lineker and Shearer in modern English football.

Michael Owen
    Ian Wright
    Defoe
  • WBA imho would have stayed up last season if they had Phillips, the amount of games they drew or narrowly lost where their strikers had enough chances to score at least 2. They played Liverpool, Fortune had a least 4 sitters, Phillips would have got at least 1 in that game to name just one.
  • edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    How on earth is he not playing every week for Birmingham? I know they are having a good season but they have only scored 24 goals in 24 games in the League!!! In fact, they have only scored 12 at home all season - the only teams worse off than that are Wigan and Wolves.

Surely, he's a better bet than anything else they have got? Even if you tell him to just play as a box player and let someone else do his running his finishing skills - as evidenced by his second goal - are as good as anything in that league.

I think you're overplaying his (current) ability a little to be honest. Prior to yesterday, the guy had scored 1 goal in 11 appearances this season. I don't think it's feasible for him to just 'play as a box player and let someone else do his running' since Birmingham's success has been built on being a hard working unit that's a tough nut to crack. He's probably best as a super sub, and that's exactly how Mcleish is using him.
  • edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: OhsouthLondon[/cite]

I think you're overplaying his (current) ability a little to be honest. Prior to yesterday, the guy had scored 1 goal in 11 appearances this season. I don't think it's feasible for him to just 'play as a box player and let someone else do his running' since Birmingham's success has been built on being a hard working unit that's a tough nut to crack. He's probably best as a super sub, and that's exactly how Mcleish is using him.

Too right mate!

He scored against Wolves. Woo hoo.
    I mean so did Danny Butterfield....3 times.

That Chocho fella is much better imo.[/quote]

Erm, if Wolves are so crap then how come they were winning 1-0 with 80 minutes gone? Because Birmingham could not score - that's where a player like Philips - who average a goal every two games across 450 matches - is so crucial.

Don't forget, Wolves beat Spurs 1-0 at WHL in December and got good draws at Everton and Stoke - they are no mugs.

I have watched Brum a lot this season - mainly to watch Bowyer who I still love - and I have always thougt that their main two strikers are both decent "team" players, they run their balls off, close people down, compete for everything but are awful, awful finishers by Premiership standards.

I have seen the aforementioned "Chucho" miss some absolute howlers this season - no wonder he has only scored 2 league goals in 22 games - although Jerome has a slightly more respectable 5 goals in 18 games but has also missed some absolute sitters - especially at home.

I know they probably feel Philips is better off the bench, and they are probably right, but I just think that its a crime to leave a player of that quality on the bench behind blokes who go to pieces in the box and are never going to score the goals he does.

I know that it is hard for teams, especially outside the big 5 or 6, to have a "luxury" player who may not offer that much anymore outside the box but, in addition, its also pretty hard for a team to success if their strikers are missing the chances that are being created.

I guess McLeish sees Philips like Curbs used to see Jeffers, ie as a luxury player who he could not afford to deploy full-time.
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]An amazing player, certainly one of the best English finishers we have seen in recent times, bettered only by Fowler, Lineker and Shearer in modern English football.

Michael Owen
    Ian Wright
    Defoe

Hmmmm, I'll give you Wright and Owen but not Defoe, he's a dead set Flat Track Bully.

Look at his goals this season, hat-tricks against the crap early season Hull and League One Leeds and the 5 against the woeful Wigan in a 9-1 win make up 11 of his 23 goals for the season.

Significantly, if you look at his games/goals against the rest of the top seven sides so far this season he has only scored 2 in 8 games (Man United, Man City - both at home).

I think that says a lot.
  • I see your point about Defoe but he's played almost all of his career in the premier league, for a lot of Phillip's career (Watford, a couple of years at Sunderland, WBA and last year at Birmingham) he's been playing in the championship, so although he's got a better scoring record it doesn't compare because a lot it was a league below.
  • Q. On Sunday Kevin Phillips scored the winner for Birmingham in their local derby against Wolves. Which Premiership manager, of what team, was sacked after losing a local derby in which Kevin Phillips again scored the winner?
  • Rudd Gullit 1999 of Newcastle v Sunderland, game where Shearer left on bench
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Rudd Gullit 1999 of Newcastle v Sunderland, game where Shearer left on bench

So you listen to 5Live, well done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Still doing the business.