Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kevin Philips

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
i remember a rumour that Curbs was going to sign him 4 seasons ago-ish. I was 100% at the time that Phillips was to old and past it. I was glad when we didnt sign him ! shows how wrong you can be.

Comments

• agreed, ditto Sheringham about 5-6 years ago.
  • And also when we didn't go for Carrick, that Summer he was touted round every club for months.

Because he was a reported alcoholic who would end up in the gutter and and amount to nothing football-wise.

Righto.....
  • Did anyone see Miller make the 2nd and score a brilliant 3rd. I think he cost West brom less than we paid for Mcleod
  • Hardly touted around every club it was us or the Spuds and that was because West Ham didnt go up, remind who was in charge then??????
  • [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Hardly touted around every club it was us or the Spuds and that was because West Ham didnt go up, remind who was in charge then??????

Charlton, Palace, Portsmouth, Spurs, Newcastle, Everton and Arsenal were all rumoured to be 'close to signing him', before he eventually went to Spurs for £2.75m
  • is that every club, and who was in charge of West Ham after they failed to get promoted that season
  • Pardew was.

So you think he chose to sell him, not that he had to because they were in the financial hooha ?

PS. what thread are me and you going to disagree on next so i can get preparing :-)

Its like being at home with the missus this !!
  • [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]is that every club, and who was in charge of West Ham after they failed to get promoted that season

Well they started out with Glenn Roader, then they had Trevor Brooking and then someone else got them upto 4th.

Can't remember his name but the year after he got W Ham promoted. They went on to finish 9th and reach the FA Cup final.
  • A little tip always let the missus think she is right, your life is a lot more easier, me,love a debate,
  • I could say the offloading of Carrick (voluntary or not) suggests that Pardew was unable to get the most out of a highly talented player with a tendency to stray off the rails, but who then went on to better and better things under different management. But that would be finding any excuse to have a dig at Pardew, so I'd better not ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• He had no choice on Defoe or Carrick
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]He had no choice on Defoe or Carrick

And Joe Cole I think...
  • Weren't Joe Cole, lampard and that right back under Redknapp? I forget.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Did anyone see Miller make the 2nd and score a brilliant 3rd. I think he cost West brom less than we paid for Mcleod

isn;t he on loan from Man City
  • never rated Carrick and still don't......Phillips on the other hand, I'd love him in our side !!
  • edited April 2008
    Miller was originally on loan at WBA start of the season. They brought him for 1.5 million in Jan.

Betner is on loan from Hearts.
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]never rated Carrick and still don't......!

Me neither. Average Premiership player who should never get near the England squad IMHO.
  • I was extremely disappointed when we didn't sign him. He is a class act and I reckon he would have been a great signing for us.
  • I got confused - are we talking about Miller, Phillips, Betner, Sheringham, Carrick, Brooking or Pardew?
  • Keep up, Chicago - or should I say Bermuda! Good luck with your move.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks Weegie.
  • Chicago, are you aware that Lookout is also Bermuda based ?

You won't be alone !
  • Yes AFKA, already been in contact and looking forward to meeting him. It will be nice to share a pint with another Addick watching a game or more likely whilst watching Charlton Life's game thread LIVE!
  • When whispers go wrong No: .........:-)
  • I once heard on the rumour mill that Curbs tried to sign Cristiano Ronaldo when he was at Sporting. Couple of years later he went to United. Any1 else hear tht???
  • 'I once heard on the rumour mill that Curbs tried to sign Cristiano Ronaldo when he was at Sporting. Couple of years later he went to United. Any1 else hear tht??? '

Yep on loan i recall.
  • Didn't Harry Redknapp turn down Shevchenko from Dynamo Kiev before he signed for Milan?
  • I see the incredible Mr. Philips scored another two beauties on Saturday to get Brum three priceless points againts Wolves.

This leads me to ask two questions.....

1] How on earth is he not playing every week for Birmingham? I know they are having a good season but they have only scored 24 goals in 24 games in the League!!! In fact, they have only scored 12 at home all season - the only teams worse off than that are Wigan and Wolves.

Surely, he's a better bet than anything else they have got? Even if you tell him to just play as a box player and let someone else do his running his finishing skills - as evidenced by his second goal - are as good as anything in that league.

2] How stupid must Tony Mowbray be feeling? He would not give Philips a two-year deal at the start of last season so Philips went to Brum instead. What happened? Brum went up from the CCC and WBA got relegated partly because they could not score enough goals.

An amazing player, certainly one of the best English finishers we have seen in recent times, bettered only by Fowler, Lineker and Shearer in modern English football.
  • edited February 2010
    i think it was said he's been injured and is just getting his fitness back ......... i think they(commentators) also alluded to the fact he couldn't last 90 mins and is better off coming on as a sub ,freshening things up ... he said he's retiring soon and wants to play as much football as possible at the highest level ... so maybe he'll get some starts when he is fully fit
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]2] How stupid must Tony Mowbray be feeling? .

Mowbray is showing what a good manager he is at Celtic, they could finish third in a two horse race.