Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Where is "charlton"

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
Yes we all know it SE7 but wht i mean is where is an area really Charlton ,you know where the area could be called a Charlton area.

It used to be Eltham before they mooved the Bermondsey Pickys to the Ferrier. It aint Charlton itself, or Woolwich (no dont laugh). Welling always had a number of Nillwall (not big numbers). Plumstead had a number of West Ham. dartford was always mixed.

Bexleyheath ?

Sad really when you think we have just been in the Prem for 8 years.

Comments

• Options
    Quite simply, nowhere.

The plastic gooners, mancs and scousers and chelsea have well and truely seen to that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Yes we all know it SE7 but wht i mean is where is an area really Charlton ,you know where the area could be called a Charlton area.

It used to be Eltham before they mooved the Bermondsey Pickys to the Ferrier. It aint Charlton itself, or Woolwich (no dont laugh). Welling always had a number of Nillwall (not big numbers). Plumstead had a number of West Ham. dartford was always mixed.

Bexleyheath ?

Sad really when you think we have just been in the Prem for 8 years.

I think it's always been so.

I went to primary school at Christ Church, halfway up Shooters Hill, and I was the only one back then in my class who admitted to supporting Charlton.

They all claimed to be Spuds or Man U as they were the teams doing well at the time.
  • Options
    I agree with Len. I went to a primary school in Plumstead and was the only Charlon fan in my class and one of only 4 in my year ( if my memory serves me correct). Bearing in mind these were the days of ground sharing at Palace. Most plastic fans at my school supported Liverpool. Now it would be Man U.
  • Options
    depends if your talking about proper football fans really!

yeah everywhere is infested with glory hunting gooners, spuds, Man U etc but if you stripped that out there would certainly be a few charlton areas.

I'd say we're the majority in areas like Sidcup, Bexleyheath, Welling, Eltham (not Kidbroke!), Greenwich (the posh bit)...
    oh and Medway!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I went to primary school at Christ Church, halfway up Shooters Hill, and I was the only one back then in my class who admitted to supporting Charlton.

They all claimed to be Spuds or Man U as they were the teams doing well at the time.
    It was the same for me, but I've got back in touch with loads of my old school friends through facebook, and was really surprised by how many of them now support charlton.
  • Options
    The difference is for a lot of people, its passed down from families. From the outset, we were always competing with Woolwich Arsenal, Millwall, Spurs for support, so there was never that period at the beginning where this was the team to follow for everyone local.

Over the last 50 years or so, huge amounts of families have moved out of South East London, like every other inner London area. They've been replaced with people who have come from other areas of the UK for London work, and from overseas. Our core areas will always long-term see supporters moving away from, not moving into.
  • Options
    At School in the 70's....I went to Welling Secondary and it was predominantly Charlton, a few spanners, the odd Hammer and one palace. I used to live up at West Kingsdown before the divorce, and we had a large contingent up there....I took a coach load up to Old Trafford in 94. Quite a few Charlton lads here in Sevenoaks, but seems to be predominantly Chelsea from what Ive seen.....Our traditional stronghold has always been Kent in my lifetime.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2008
    which is why the club is moving there within 10 years Tel
  • Options
    Wouldnt surprise me in the least, but it would be gut wrenching to give up our spiritual home
  • Options
    It's strange the way it goes.

I live in the Medway area now and a few years back I'd see people wandering around in Charlton shirts, training jackets etc and no West Ham. Now I see West Ham and few Charlton!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    hate that west ham shop in Bluewater. Should be burnt out.

Glory hunting gooners in Sarf London does me in as well. They should be rounded up and given two choices(1) go live in Dalston (2) Burnt on Blackheath.

Crayford, Barnehurst used to be CAFC.
  • Options
    The day Charlton move to Kent is the day I stop going.

Charlton is South East London. Always has been, always will be
  • Options
    Move to Kent ? NEVER NEVER NEVER

Sarf London club always will be or they wont be Charlton
  • Options
    Maidstone used to have a lot when the Stones went under. But know, just like everywhere else, everywhere you look, glory hunting "my great nans dog was from Manchester" plastics.
  • Options
    Mind you, Charlton is probably the best supported club in my local in Bexley.
  • Options
    Bluewater Wet Spammers shop closed down ages ago - Now Lego Store (How ironic!)
  • Options
    charlton is the best supported club in my local also.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Mind you, Charlton is probably the best supported club in my local in Bexley.

But you live in Sidcup...;-)
  • Options
    He says Bexley as it sounds posher, doesn't that cover Welling too? and erm Thamesmead.... eke
  • Options
    Depends what you class your local as, you're nearest pub, or the pub you frequent the most ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lol....
  • Options
    is it in Old Bexley? sorry am new to the area, am I in Falconwood or South Welling I think the former..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Depends what you class your local as, you're nearest pub, or the pub you frequent the most ?

When I was younger, the Arbitrager was the pub I most frequented but I'd hardly call it my local......The Alma is my "local" although there are two pubs that are nearer to my house...so in summing up, a "local" is a pub you frequent which is in walking distance of your house....
  • Options
    isnt Falconwood North Welling ?
  • Options
    no deffo south welling nearer eltham,although it also includes up to Danson park etc, north welling is nearer plumstead side, welling station etc. according to estate agents that is
  • Options
    hold on hold on. its nearer Eltham which is nearer London post codes etc. Its nearer to shooters hill as well so how thef**k can it be south welling ?

I lived in West Greenwich for 11 years which looked like Deptford to me ! Deptford post code voted in West Greenwich.
  • Options
    The 9th District in Vienna is a hotbed of support for Charlton. I stand outside the underground station with a Charlton programme and compete with the Jehovah's Witnesses in trying to convert the unbelievers. The JW's are ahead at the moment but, just like Pards, I won't give up easily!
  • Options
    Falconwood is in South Welling, South Welling/Welling (da16) stretches from Eltham/ Shooters hill to Danson.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Vienna_Addick[/cite]The 9th District in Vienna is a hotbed of support for Charlton. I stand outside the underground station with a Charlton programme and compete with the Jehovah's Witnesses in trying to convert the unbelievers. The JW's are ahead at the moment but, just like Pards, I won't give up easily!
    lol, quality.
  • Options
    ah ok just looked on a map, looks like FALCONWOOD(words on the map) is astride the Bexley Greenwich border, the station itself is in Greenwich. Then there is the actual Falconwood, which is also in Greenwich... my street is on the eastern edge of that map

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=544750&y=175750&z=1&sv=544750,175750&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&ax=546500&ay=175500