Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stoke v Palarse

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
So what do we want tonight?

1) A Stoke win and let them go
2) A draw and keep it tight all the way
3) A Palarse win which would give us another team at the top we could mathematically overtake

I'm for number 1. Couldn't for the life of me want to watch a game and hope Palarse win.

Comments

• Options
    We can only hope for 6th place so it's number 1 all the way for me.
  • Options
    1) we're 9 points behind them with 4 games left so we're not ganna catch them and palace could be a potential play off challenger
  • Options
    Stoke have to win
  • Options
    1 if we are to have any chance of a play off place.

I actually think WBA and Watford will end up getting automatic promotion and Stoke and Bristol City will be 3rd and 4th with Hull 5th. 6th is the only postion we have a very slight chance of getting given that 4 of Wolves 6 games are at home.
  • Options
    agreed 1, is the only option.

Although it really would not be unexpected of a club like Stoke to pick up only say three points from their remaining games, we have to be reallistic and state at no point during this season have we been able to put 4-5 wins in a row, so it would be nothing more than outrageously optimistic for us to expect to do that now.

One or two wins though really does help you to blind realism though. We are currently playing for 1 play off place, but if one of the clubs between 1-5 go the next two games with no points, there could still be two play off places up for grabs.

The most annoying thing is we have lost 8 games at home this season. If we had just turned two of those defeats into victories, we would still be in with a shot at the title.

This really has been a season for 'what ifs'.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]The most annoying thing is we have lost 8 games at home this season. If we had just turned two of those defeats into victories, we would still be in with a shot at the title.
    The bit that riles me the most are the games against Colchester and Scunthorpe. I know we don't have nay right to beat these two but over the four games against them we dropped 10 points.

Anyway, it doesnt matter now. lets concentrate on the rest of this season, it we show the desire, togetherness and commitment we did on Saturday (players and fans) there is no reason we can't win the rest of our games and see where it puts us.
  • Options
    Stoke have to win. Surprised anyone needs to even consider that?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

The most annoying thing is we have lost 8 games at home this season.
    It's only 7 actually AFKA. After 42 games we now have identical home & away records: Won 8, Drawn 6, Lost 7. As WSS said it is WHO we have lost to at the Valley that is the most annoying thing: Plymouth, QPR, Sheff Utd, Burnley, Colchester, Preston & Wolves. Hardly a who's who of teams playing good football!!
  • Options
    Just checked, you're right.

Having looked at the table again, its only just registered with me how much of our hopes are tied into Wolves slipping up. Currently, one point ahead of us with two games in hand, we desperately need to be two points ahead of them come Saturday teatime.
  • Options
    I'd like a small wager that one of the top five implodes and doesnt make it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stoke win; but I can see yet another draw
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]I'd like a small wager that one of the top five implodes and doesnt make it.

Who you setting your hopes on ?

West Brom have the cup out the way now, have goals in their side, and have enough to pick up 6 points from 6 games.

Hull have a decent goal difference and have 5 games to pick up just one win. Home v QPR and Palace, away to Barnsley, Sheff U and Ipswich

Bristol City need two points from 4 games, have tough fixtures in Wolves home, Stoke away, Sheff U away, and finally Preston at home. Last game should do it.

Watford have three of their last five at home, against Barnsley, Palace and Scunthorpe, while away to West Brom and Blackpool.

Trouble is with most playing each other, someone slipping up will see someone getting further away from us. Sheff U could have an important part to play in the run in, but they could end up nicking the last spot themselves. Its so tough to call.
  • Options
    I did forecast Sheff Utd prior to them getting rid of Robson they have the firepower could be the darkhorses
  • Options
    Wolves having 5 games in 14 days will hopefully bugger them up.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

Who you setting your hopes on ?

I would say Bristol City and Watford.
  • Options
    Wolves two games in hand are against Cardiff and WBA.

They also have to play Ipswich, Plymouth, Bristol and Coventry.

All them teams have something to play for. I don't think it's over but it will be hard.
  • Options
    No point worrying about what anyone else does - let's just focus on winning our last four. If we manage that then either we'll sneak into the play offs on a run of good form, or we'll narrowly miss out but will go into the break with a bit of shape and confidence that we can be contenders for automatic next season.

However, it is still going to be a tall order to win the next four, as the pressure will be back on again, and we haven't exactly thrived under those circumstances so far - either on or off the pitch.
  • Options
    bang on weggie as long as we win our games we can do no more in a way its not a bad position to be in the players know what they have to do a few good wins againest soton and coventry could be a plus as the goal difference may be another key factor
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm with Weegie. I don't care what the other teams do, they can't all win & may lose key players to injury & suspension.
    And with the way results in this league have unfolded, it'd be no surprise if some of the top 6 imploded.

If we win on Saturday, then we can take a look around and know we're still in it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Win our last four games. Then start doing the maths. Don't win all the four, then the play offs are gone.
  • Options
    Heavy win for Stoke, at the very least they are guaranteed a position in the play-offs, but could do us a favour by sticking three or four goals past Palace and killing their goal difference.
  • Options
    I believe we should treat it like a knock-out cup run.

You don't win the cup by imagining in the 3rd round who you're going to play at Wembley.
    And, it's the cup, remember. Unpredictable.

First cup tie, Saturday:
    3rd round: v Saints
    4th round: v QPR
    5th round: v Barnsley
    6th round: v Coventry
    Semi-finals: v ?
    Final at Wembley

Who's up for the Playoff Cup?

;o)
  • Options
    Don't do that Og, we're rubbish in cups !!!
  • Options
    go on Oggy
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Don't do that Og, we're rubbish in cups !!!

Yikes, AFKA, you're right ......I clean forgot the Quarter's were as far as we've ever got in our living memory.
    Sh*t. Sh*t. Sh*t!

AFKA, remove the thread and BAN ME....!!!!

PS: Plan B, anyone?

;o)
  • Options
    We normally get knocked out in Round 4 - so at least our hopes won't last too long...
  • Options
    Well pretend it's 1987 again then (apart from the final bit - prepare as we did in 1998 for the final)
  • Options
    Scot Sinclair, fuck sake. :-(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Don't do that Og, we're rubbish in cups !!!

Yikes, AFKA, you're right ......I clean forgot the Quarter's were as far as we've ever got in our living memory.
    Sh*t. Sh*t. Sh*t!

AFKA, remove the thread and BAN ME....!!!!

PS: Plan B, anyone?

;o)

Absolutely crap in cups, we are.

I was thinking about this whilst watching the FA Cup semi-finals.

We were in The Premiership for 7 years. What riles me is that as a top flight club we didn't reach a semi-final in either cup for any of those 7 years.

There are 2 cups with four places available in each.

2 x 4 x 7 = 56.

So with 56 places available and only 20 top flight clubs, how did we not at least do it once?