Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonjo Shelvey

Comments

• Options

Absolutely criminal (lack of) tracking back for Man U’s second goal.

And some wanted him on the plane to Russia..

He was 10 yds behind and chasing Pogba, Rashford, and Lukaku wasn't he from memory. Just think he wasn't quick enough rather than stopped.

Great counter attack, only from memory watching the game, haven't seen a replay mind you.
    You should watch the clip because the evidence is damning when you focus on Jonjo.

There was about three instances where he could’ve put in a decent tackle and/or closed down passing lanes if he hadn’t been jogging/walking. He should be embarrassed.

No doubt he’s talented but he’s never going to be better than lower Prem/upper Champ it seems.
  • Options
    As an academy product, I've always wished Shelvey was an England regular. He's... hmm, probably one of the top three talents I've seen in my consciousness come through the ranks at Charlton (for context, I'm 24).

Parker and Gomez are the top two, Lookman (if he counts) is probably just behind Jonjo, not really sure how I can gauge Rufus given he came through when I was really young. (So on so forth)

Stupid shit like that tackle and a fantastic lack of consistency have seen him not quite reach the heights I thought he would, and it's a real shame.
  • Options
    He doesn't look happy at Newcastle and I think he may move back south in this window. He doesn't look as if he is giving 100%
  • Options
    He's the best English passer we've got and the most creative midfielder, but unfortunately he's not mobile enough for Southgate's side. Also, challenges like the one on Pogba show he has learned very little about what he needs to concentrate on. Embarrassed himself stamping on Dele Alli whilst captaining Newcastle and continues to be needlessly and counter-productively aggressive.

Nasty challenge that, on Pogba, giving away a foolish free-kick. Can't believe anyone wants to defend it.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Uncle......Mmmmmm.
    Was always ready to jump down anyone’s throat at the merest hint of criticism regarding Jonjo, even when posters were trying to point out things that could be improved in his game and temperament on the pitch. I know I did once regarding him being lucky not to get a red card at Orient for a really unnecessary intentionaly spiteful tackle......a view shared on the day by Colin (Paddy) Powell, Paul Went and Keith Peacock......but uncle wouldn’t have any of it.
    Quite a few of us got into uncalled for spats with him back in the day.
    He (uncle), was never a true Addick anyway.
    PS.....I think Jonjo is a great player and at his best was deserving of a place in the England set up.

He never claimed to be an Addick of any type, he was quite open about being a hammer.

I also don't think it's unreasonable for anyone to back a family member, if you can't have rose tinted specs about family, when can you?
    Obviously the way Uncle spoke about Jonjo on here may not be how it was behind closed doors - but it doesn't help to act like your loved ones are perfect - especially kids. If Jonjo grew up in an environment where any criticism of him was always shouted down, it might explain why in his older years he seems to be struggling to learn from his mistakes and still has most of the same flaws in his games as he did as a 17 year old at Charlton.
  • Options
    Best teenagers for me.
    1.Gomez
    2.Bowyer
    3.Paul Walsh
    4.Paul Elliott
    5.Rob Lee
    6.Shelvey.
    7.Lookman.
    8.Minto
    9.Parker
    10.Gordon Watson

I thought Parker was 20 when he came back from Norwich, if he was still 19, then Scott would be 3rd.
  • Options

Best teenagers for me.
    1.Gomez
    2.Bowyer
    3.Paul Walsh
    4.Paul Elliott
    5.Rob Lee
    6.Shelvey.
    7.Lookman.
    8.Minto
    9.Parker
    10.Gordon Watson

I thought Parker was 20 when he came back from Norwich, if he was still 19, then Scott would be 3rd.

Erm.....you left out Rufus?

• Options
    Richard Gough was with us as a teenager (his old man played for us) but never made the 1st team.
  • Options
    Very interesting concept in terms of picking our best XI of genuinely home-grown players....based on my 32 years of supporting the club.....

Elliott

Brown
    Rufus
    Gomez
    Minto

Lee
    Bowyer
    Parker
    Shelvey

Lookman
    Watson

We have produced comparatively few of our own front players over the years when you think about it.

In my time we have really only produced Leaburn, Kim Grant, Watson, Lookman and Karlan Ahearne-Grant that have had any degree of success.

Jason Lee had a better career than most of our home-grown front players but played only a handful of games for us.

I feel I must be missing someone but even one of our better strikers, Paul Williams, actually joined from Woodford Town and wasn't a youth product.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Makes me sick in my mouth saying it, but defoe has to be in there
  • Options

Best teenagers for me.
    1.Gomez
    2.Bowyer
    3.Paul Walsh
    4.Paul Elliott
    5.Rob Lee
    6.Shelvey.
    7.Lookman.
    8.Minto
    9.Parker
    10.Gordon Watson

Parker made his debut for us as a 16 year old and played over 30 games in a Charlton shirt before he went on loan to Norwich and he had his 20th birthday whilst there.
  • Options

Very interesting concept in terms of picking our best XI of genuinely home-grown players....based on my 32 years of supporting the club.....

Elliott

Brown
    Rufus
    Gomez
    Minto

Lee
    Bowyer
    Parker
    Shelvey

Lookman
    Watson

We have produced comparatively few of our own front players over the years when you think about it.

In my time we have really only produced Leaburn, Kim Grant, Watson, Lookman and Karlan Ahearne-Grant that have had any degree of success.

Jason Lee had a better career than most of our home-grown front players but played only a handful of games for us.

I feel I must be missing someone but even one of our better strikers, Paul Williams, actually joined from Woodford Town and wasn't a youth product.

Mine would be (54 years since I made my debut at the Valley):

Darren Randolph

Billy Bonds
    Joe Gomez
    Paul Elliott
    Richard Rufus
    Scott Minto

Alan Campbell
    Scott Parker

Robert Lee
    Paul Walsh
    Lee Bowyer
  • Options

Elliott

Brown
    Rufus
    Gomez
    Minto

Lee
    Bowyer
    Parker
    Shelvey

Lookman
    Watson

Darren Randolph

Billy Bonds
    Joe Gomez
    Paul Elliott
    Richard Rufus
    Scott Minto

Alan Campbell
    Scott Parker

Robert Lee
    Paul Walsh
    Lee Bowyer
    Crikey, very interesting you've come up with Randolph as your keeper given you'd have seen some of our home-grown keepers in the 70s.
  • Options

Elliott

Brown
    Rufus
    Gomez
    Minto

Lee
    Bowyer
    Parker
    Shelvey

Lookman
    Watson

Darren Randolph

Billy Bonds
    Joe Gomez
    Paul Elliott
    Richard Rufus
    Scott Minto

Alan Campbell
    Scott Parker

Robert Lee
    Paul Walsh
    Lee Bowyer
    Crikey, very interesting you've come up with Randolph as your keeper given you'd have seen some of our home-grown keepers in the 70s.
    Said at the time that we made a big mistake allowing Randolph to go and he has gone on to be a regular in the top flight (albeit not now) and also played over 30 games for the ROI.

Charlie Wright wasn't home grown or he would have made it as would Nicky Johns. John Dunn came from Villa and wasn't as good as Randolph anyway. Graham Tutt's career was cut short and couldn't say that he would have reached the heights that Randolph has. Jeff Wood wasn't as good as Randolph either.

Can't think of any other keepers from the 70s.
  • Options

Elliott

Brown
    Rufus
    Gomez
    Minto

Lee
    Bowyer
    Parker
    Shelvey

Lookman
    Watson

Does Lookman count as genuinely homegrown when we signed him from another club as a 16 year old?
  • Options

Elliott

Brown
    Rufus
    Gomez
    Minto

Lee
    Bowyer
    Parker
    Shelvey

Lookman
    Watson

Does Lookman count as genuinely homegrown when we signed him from another club as a 16 year old?
    Why not, given some call Aribo, Dijksteel, Stevenson academy graduates...
  • Options

Elliott

Brown
    Rufus
    Gomez
    Minto

Lee
    Bowyer
    Parker
    Shelvey

Lookman
    Watson

No.

Picking a home grown 11 (players I've seen in the flesh playing for Charlton)

Elliott or Randolph

Brown
    Rufus
    Gomez
    Minto

Lee
    Bowyer
    Parker
    Shelvey

Leaburn
    Lisbie

Weak up front (not sure I ever saw Watson), whereas there are loads of defenders and midfielders to choose from. Amongst those left out would be
    Fortune
    Konchesky
    Pitcher (RIP)
    Newton
    Solly
    Cousins
    Primus

The following 3 never played a league match for us but went on to have excellent careers
    Defoe
    Arter
    Turner
  • Options

Elliott

Brown
    Rufus
    Gomez
    Minto

Lee
    Bowyer
    Parker
    Shelvey

Lookman
    Watson

Darren Randolph

Billy Bonds
    Joe Gomez
    Paul Elliott
    Richard Rufus
    Scott Minto

Alan Campbell
    Scott Parker

Robert Lee
    Paul Walsh
    Lee Bowyer
    Said at the time that we made a big mistake allowing Randolph to go and he has gone on to be a regular in the top flight (albeit not now) and also played over 30 games for the ROI.

Charlie Wright wasn't home grown or he would have made it as would Nicky Johns. John Dunn came from Villa and wasn't as good as Randolph anyway. Graham Tutt's career was cut short and couldn't say that he would have reached the heights that Randolph has. Jeff Wood wasn't as good as Randolph either.

Can't think of any other keepers from the 70s.
    Jeff Wood came in from (I think) Harlow Town to replace Tutt after his injury so not homegrown anyway.
  • Options

Elliott

Brown
    Rufus
    Gomez
    Minto

Lee
    Bowyer
    Parker
    Shelvey

Lookman
    Watson

No.

Elliott or Randolph

Brown
    Rufus
    Gomez
    Minto

Lee
    Bowyer
    Parker
    Shelvey

Leaburn
    Lisbie

Weak up front (not sure I ever saw Watson), whereas there are loads of defenders and midfielders to choose from. Amongst those left out would be
    Fortune
    Konchesky
    Pitcher (RIP)
    Newton
    Solly
    Cousins
    Primus

The following 3 never played a league match for us but went on to have excellent careers
    Defoe
    Arter
    Turner
    Also Barness as back up left back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iaitch said:

Elliott

Brown
    Rufus
    Gomez
    Minto

Lee
    Bowyer
    Parker
    Shelvey

Lookman
    Watson

No.

Elliott or Randolph

Brown
    Rufus
    Gomez
    Minto

Lee
    Bowyer
    Parker
    Shelvey

Leaburn
    Lisbie

Fortune
    Konchesky
    Pitcher (RIP)
    Newton
    Solly
    Cousins
    Primus

Defoe
    Arter
    Turner
    Also Barness as back up left back.
    Forgot about him! Could play RB as well
  • Options
    I saw the game on the telly, Shelvey 'did' Pogba plain and simple. He's always been prone to do this kind of thing and that's why his career (allied to a lack of pace) has not been as successful as it could have.
    Shame because at times his ability to find space and his range of passing is a joy to behold
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Just read that in the print version and think he has a good point in that watching Jonjo is never dull. Good story about refusing to make the tea for Deon Burton too.
  • Options

Vincenzo said:
    Just read that in the print version and think he has a good point in that watching Jonjo is never dull. Good story about refusing to make the tea for Deon Burton too.
    And the story about openly deriding Stuart Pearce's tactics when he was in the U21s. No wonder he's not getting in the England squad.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Vincenzo said:
    And the story about openly deriding Stuart Pearce's tactics when he was in the U21s. No wonder he's not getting in the England squad.
    Stuart Pearce the managerial mastermind who when chasing a goal late in one game decided it would be better to put David James up front even though he had a striker on the bench.

Also when he was Man City manager in one season they didn't score a single goal at home after new years day!
  • Options

Vincenzo said:
    Liked that. It might seem arrogant for a 16-year-old but he had a point. I remember him laying a hat-trick of easy chances on a plate for Burton in one game - all missed. Not that Deon wasn't a solid old pro, he was. But Jonjo was a class above the rest of the team even at 16/17.

Shocking that we didn't even use him in the play-offs that year. Presumably the pittance we were going to get from Liverpool was more important than promotion.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Good Article. Pogba, Stuart Pearce and Sir Alex. As the article stated, he does not pick soft targets.
  • Options
    After being an irregular for Benitez, JJ is back in the Geordie starting Xl .. nice to see that Brucie appreciates the advantage of a full English ((:>)
  • Options
    After being an irregular for Benitez, JJ is back in the Geordie starting Xl .. nice to see that Brucie appreciates the advantage of a full English ((:>)
    He is more than a bit Scottish isn't he?