Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Well bowled sidney

what a great display of swing bowling by ol sidney sidebottom. Gutted sat up to 1 am watching and it was all NZ went to bed and it all kicked off.

Woke up this morning stuck teletext on to see we had over 100 lead.

Comments

• Yep, Ryan Sidebottom's bowling in this series has papered over quite a few cracks in the team and he must be a deserved shoe-in for man of the series.

England effectively are 176 for 2 with three days left - it's going to take a lot of rain or a big collapse to screw it up here on, and even then NZ will have to bat out their skins.

This pitch is supposed to be a good batting track, other than Pietersen and Fleming only How and Broad have got going on it, but if NZ are to win I can't see who will score their runs. How is good for a few, Bell is averaging under 10 in the series, Fleming will graft away for a few, Sinclair is out of form, Taylor looks in good nick, as does McCullum but they tend to go for their shots which gives the bowlers a chance and then you are down to the bowlers.
  • awsome display by my hero sidebottom, last week he galvanised the fact that he is going to legendary, his quote to Athers in an interview went along the lines of this after athers asked him if he wanted to bowl into the wind or with the wind, his reply 'i dont care i am just proud to be bowling for england' utter genius.

Last night i stayed up till the tea break, i was well gutted when fleming got in as he certainly took the game to Jimmy Anderson, but couldnt believe my luck after the lunch break, that was one amazing session.

Sidebottom for Lonbdon mayor anyone? ;-)
  • Morning Steve, happy easter to you and yours. Charming day isnt it??
  • the morning session was all NZ which was why i went to bed inbthe end. bloody pissed off i never stayed up.
  • Ledge, i always watch at least the first 15 mins after the lunch break, if anything happens then i stay up if i think stuff will happen, last night that paid off, was one of the best sessions of cricket i saw in ages, and mr sidebottom sir tek a boo!! Not forgeting broad hiting really good line and length after the break aswe,, he did a tremendous job at the other end, very consistant, which is stark change from the morning session! An amazing days play.
  • And speaking of cricket, sad to see that Marcus Trescothick fall victim to the depression and anxiety attacks again this week and announce his retirement from international cricket. Hope he gets well soon.
  • Hopefully with a lead of 501 even England can't bu**er this one up!

I see Vettori has taken 3 wickets so perhaps a chance for Monty to make a statement.

Back to the start of the thread: Ryan Sidebottom has been superb since he came into the England side. Older posters might remember his father, Arnie, ex Man Utd footballer, who was also a very underrated medium fast bowler.
  • I think on a flat wicket Monty is going to get plenty of opportunity to bowl and having sent down only one over in the match to date he should be fresh.

I hope that Strauss is given an opportunity to score the 27 runs he needs for a Test double and then England should declare and get on with it.

Also, I'd like to see Stephen Fleming score the 54 runs he needs to finish his Test career with an average of 40.
  • What's great is that he has turned things around after inially failing to make the test match grade. Chalk his sucess up to good old stodgy County Cricket.

It's great to see a left armer bowling with control, some pace and an ability to move the ball both ways.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Hopefully with a lead of 501 even England can't bu**er this one up!

I see Vettori has taken 3 wickets so perhaps a chance for Monty to make a statement.

Back to the start of the thread: Ryan Sidebottom has been superb since he came into the England side. Older posters might remember his father, Arnie, ex Man Utd footballer, who was also a very underrated medium fast bowler.

Good job we batted on this morning, those extra runs may prove vital!
    Older posters may remember us setting NZ about 480 to win in 1973ish. They fell just 38 short.
    IMO Arnie Sidebottom was a very average seam bowler and lucky to win an England Cap.
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Hopefully with a lead of 501 even England can't bu**er this one up!

Good job we batted on this morning, those extra runs may prove vital!
    Older posters may remember us setting NZ about 480 to win in 1973ish. They fell just 38 short.
    IMO Arnie Sidebottom was a very average seam bowler and lucky to win an England Cap.

Sir Geoffrey rated Arnie.

When you consider the likes of Willis, Hendrick, Botham, John Lever and Chris Old were about for much of his time it's easy to see why he only got the one test.
  • I respect Boycott's opinion on cricket more than anyone elses. However Tykes usually stick for each other!
    Was he any better than Kevin Bertram Sidney Jarvis? No, I don't think he was.
    As for JKL, Brearley didn't rate him, I went to many tests and saw him languishing down at 3rd man for hours on end.
    I will concede that Arnie was better than Les Taylor who also got a cap in that summer of '85. What a great series that was though. We walloped the Aussies.
    Good old Richard Ellison! Gower was a god, Gooch finally got involved against the Aussies, Gatting came of age and Both bowled very quickly and hit 6's for fun!
    Happy Days!

Back to Fiery, great assesment of Harmisson in the Telegraph and predicatable response form the loser in The Mail.
  • Agree about Harmison - he's almost universally been two bob since the Ashes but I'd have Hoggard in the side ahead of Jimmy Anderson any day of the week. Shrek's always a 110 percenter, Anderson sometimes looks like he just couldn't give a toss either way. I've often seen him go through an innings, bowl 30 overs and make almost no telling contribution, whilst the other end does all the work. I understand the need to have a foil for a 'real' strike bowler but for pity's sake at least have someone who can hit a consistent line & length, or at least LOOK like taking a wicket. Hoggard and Broad has the potential to be an excellent opening pairing - I think Hoggy is just the man to provide Broad with the platform to build himself into a very, very good strike bowler.

Boycott can be a twonk, but there's no doubting he talks a lot of sense most of the time - I just think he's wrong about Hoggy
  • I was surprised at Hoggards ommision, I don't think Fiery has had a go at him too though.
    Hoggy for Anderson please.
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]I was surprised at Hoggards ommision, I don't think Fiery has had a go at him too though.
    Hoggy for Anderson please.
    Not in that article he didn't, but after the selectors initially made their choice he was going on about Hoggy and Harmison in the same breath. Seems to have backtracked a bit since then, and, to be fair, that article talks sense about Hoggy as well.
  • I love Boycott.
    There is no one in football these days who has anywhere near the same knowledge, insight, sucess and experience into the game than he does with cricket.
    Bobby Robson was the last.
  • I think, for my money, there are a lot of decent cricket commentators - much more than the cricket writers (who I find mostly bland and unoriginal). I actually really, really enjoy Sky's coverage of cricket. Whether its the fact that cricketers in general are more intelligent than the average footballer or not I don't know, but Atherton, Gower, Botham, Lloyd, Hussain and Holding are excellent commentators, and the way Sky cover the game is infinitely better than the BBC ever did. TMS still rules, obviously, but I can find almost no fault with Sky for TV coverage. If they could get Boycott and Bumble together as commentators that would be the icing on the cake.

You up for the long run tonight then Dave? I reckon I'll give it til tea then hit the hay - can't see meself making it into work tomorrow otherwise :)
  • I'm still here mate!
    It's going to be a long road.
    Personally, I listen to Radio 4 whilst watching pictures from Sky.
    Botham was my hero as a player but I agree with little what he says these days.
    Willis and Gower too were top men for me as a lad but I see the Sky Team as too invovled with former players. You do not get the objective view you get from TMS on Sky.
    Also let me add, Paul Allot is the worst cricket commentator I have ever experienced.
  • Agree about Allott - he's shite as a commentator, was a shite player and brings nothing to Sky's team. I know what you mean about the 'old boys' network, but I think that gives Sky's commentary a good feel (like sitting around talking with your mates). I think if they could get Boycott on board it would help offset that 'matey' feel - one thing Boycs isn't is scared to upset people!

My mate feels exactly the same about Botham as you - personally, after the eighties, he could talk utter toss and I'd still lap up every word, but I still think that, even if I were listening to him objectively, I'd think he makes a valued contribution to the commentary.

BTW - is it just me, or do you give the Kiwis a sniff here? That is one of the flattest fourth day tracks I've seen outside the subcontinent and, if it doesn't go too downhill overnight & we don't get a couple before COP today I think the Kiwis could end up batting for a long old time tomorrow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Montttttyyyyyy!

:)
  • No one has and no one will ever score 500+ in the 4th innings to win a Test Match, Viv and Brian are gone!
  • LOL - I didn't mean win it! I meant bat out the day and get through tomorrow as well to salvage the draw. All moot now, as they've knocked three off since tea so (hopefully) can't see it lasting much beyond the morning session tomorrow.

FInally off to bed now :)
  • Goodnight fella.
  • Sky are trying to replicate on TV what TMS does on the radio - make it all matey, with nicknames etc. Yes they do offer a better product than the BBC, but perhaps not as good as Channel 4, who were head and shoulders above the BBC.

As for Botham - he proves the cliche that a great player doesn't always equal a great commentator. At close of play on day three with Strauss 173 not out and two days/180 overs to go he was all for advocating an immediate declaration, claiming that going for the win was the important thing, which to be fair is a truism, but with plenty of time left there was nothing lost in giving Strauss the chance to go for a Test double hundred, moreover continuing fpor 40 odd minutes broke up the morning session of play.

In my opinion the best commentators to listen to are Boycott and Holding, both talk with a lot of shrewdness on the game, even if Boycs does get a bit too forthright sometimes.
  • BFR, you are forgetting the legend that is Richie Benaud.
  • [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]BFR, you are forgetting the legend that is Richie Benaud.

He's retired though...
  • MCSMCS
    edited March 2008
    great convo leroy and davey dave, reading it there were loads of times i would of piped up agreeing with alot of your sentiments.

The sky coverage is ace, love all the commentator except as you 2 say Allot, he is boring, Bob willis is soooooo harsh, very funny, but pretty overly critical somes.

Was up till middle of the arvo session this morning, its ruining me i tell you i cant turn it off!! lol
  • Am i missing out on something not getting cricket you lot are waxing lyrical over it and i fall asleep everytime i try to watch it bar the ashes the other year i have not managed to watch a full series
  • cricket runs football so close, i couldnt even tell you what i would do if the ashes (last day of a final test say!) and a world cup final clashed, i would probably watch the cricket! Now if it was charlton in the cup final or similar then that would be different.

Love cricket tho,i mean they stop for tea, that just so english and fantastic!! haha