Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ashes to Ashes

13»

Comments

• Options
    Still prefer Life on Mars. The 70s were better than the 80s anyway. Music, football, fashion, everything.

John Sim is a great actor and there was less of the mystic stuff in LOM than ATA.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Great last episode, but not sure if I fully understood it.

Henry just whispered me- was pretty much as I thought.
  • Options
    Just watched it:
    superb acting,etc, but......

Is The GeneGenie God and Keats the Devil ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Just watched it:
    superb acting,etc, but......

Is The GeneGenie God and Keats the Devil ?

I reckon so.
  • Options
    ok here is my understanding of it. it deals with the philosophy of spirit guides and purgatory (the preparation of a soul for heaven/hell). Sprint guides help people 'cross over' when they die. if someone dies unexpectedly or with unfinished business, they require some help to deal with whatever issues they may have, so they can then go on to the afterlife. Gene is a spirit guide - he was killed as a young copper and had his own spirit guide who helped him - however instead of deciding to move on, he stayed and became a guide himself. being a copper he decided to help other coppers who need a guide. So he made this in-between life and death world where he can help coppers get over their issues and also come to terms with the fact they are dead.
    in Life on Mars, Sam Tyler was put into a coma and ended up in the 70s - the time when he grew up. consequently he found answers about his parents and also some unsolved cases etc. he then woke up from the coma and found himself back in the real world but couldn't handle it so he committed suicide - taking him back to Gene's in-between world. we later find out that he stayed there for a few years until he was ready to move on.
    In Ashes to Ashes, Alex - who grew up in the 80s - found herself back there and again found answers to questions she had and also was helped comes to terms with her death.

Keats and Frank Morgan from LoM are either the devil or agents of the devil; and they want the people in purgatory to abandon their spirit guide, which would help them corrupt their souls take them to hell.
  • Options
    Thanks (Sir) Henry & Stebo.
    I thought along those lines, just better hearing it from someone else.....
    :-)
  • Options
    Jeez
    Henry Irving?
    Joins the discussion late (2nd post) then it's all me, me, me!
    A claim to fame so tenuous that my brother shagging a friend of Vinny jones could make the News of the Screws, then he gets shot by the pomposity pistol, telling us Sim is a great actor, when in reality he is stuck in my phone.
    70's better than the 80's? Deary me what is Irving on?
    Clearly a man who has never dabbled in experimental drugs which leapt forward in bounds in the early 80's. He is making up for it now judging by his recent posts!

Smiley
  • Options
    I see the 2nd series of Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes differently. Basically from the very beginning both Alex and Sam were dead. Season 1 of each series was about them fixing unresolved issues. The second seasons about choosing the 70's/80's worlds over their real worlds. Originally they intended to do 3 seasons of Life on Mars. In that season ,the same as season 3 of Ashes to Ashes, it was finally about accepting that they were dead and then moving on. Just got to say that all the cast were good but Daniel Mays was brilliant in that final episode.
  • Options
    A Great Series, didn't think the ending was as great as a few are making out on here to be honest, but a real shame that BBC have such a great series & are not doing any more, when you look at some of the total crap they serve up normally.
  • Options
    I like the bit with Dixon of Dock Green, very smart.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apparently the makers wanted to do a feature length finale but the bbc showed no interest. A shame.
  • Options
    glad they finished it now when rather than dragging out the idea until it dies a death.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]glad they finished it now when rather than dragging out the idea until it dies a death.

Wasn't suggesting they make more. It ended at the right time. The last episode was intended to be 90 minutes long but I guess the bbc didn't want to stump up the extra cash.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnny73[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]glad they finished it now when rather than dragging out the idea until it dies a death.

Wasn't suggesting they make more. It ended at the right time. The last episode was intended to be 90 minutes long but I guess the bbc didn't want to stump up the extra cash.

Sorry, wasn't suggesting that. Was responding to an earlier post about killing it off now.

Personally prefer the usual format rather than specials and I guess the BBC find it easier to schedule it and to sell it abroad with a number of similar sized episodes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: johnny73[/cite]

Sorry, wasn't suggesting that. Was responding to an earlier post about killing it off now.

Personally prefer the usual format rather than specials and I guess the BBC find it easier to schedule it and to sell it abroad with a number of similar sized episodes.

Think you're right about selling it abroad. Lewis, as an example, is edited down to 90 minutes for PBS over in the USA.
  • Options
    I had to avoid reading this topic for ages because I still had to watch quite a few episodes saved on Sky+. I watched the last one last night and didn't quite expect that ending. Absolutely brilliant. I hope they won't try and string out another series after we all know the ending. One of the best shows the BBC has done in years.