Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

LIVE from the Valley: Yoof v Swindon

13»

Comments

• Options
    Game was excellent, really entertaining to watch, real passing fast football, without all the bullshit diving etcetc, a real pleasure.

Shame about the bloody weather though
  • Options
    Great game and great entertainment. Thought some of the passing and moving in the first half was breathtaking. Quite rightly Shelvey will get the plaudits but there are six or seven who I think could make the grade. The two full backs, wagstaff, Godfrey, Yussef etc. Very exciting times. I reckon Shelvey will make his first team debut in the next twelve months and he is only just 16.
  • Options
    Has he made his reserve debut yet ?

Fully agree on the 6 or 7 have a good chance
  • Options
    'Can't be long before shelvey is in reserves
  • Options
    Out of interest, have we any players at a higher level who would still be eligible to play in this comp ? Wright, Basey etc
  • Options
    nice chip thanks mr mcmoist.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Has he made his reserve debut yet?

jonjo made his reserve debut in the 5-1 victory at millwall where he played centre midfield and hit the post
    quoting kinsella from the palace program ' we told jonjo before the game that reserve football was a big step up for him, but he went out there, kept things nice and simple, and went about his business. His passing was good and he always like a shot'
  • Options
    Felt sorry for Swindon and thought their Goalkeeper and number 5 were excellent despite them losing so heavily.
  • Options
    oohaahmortimer- how dare you be a realist?...Haven't you got your red-tinted glasses on?

BTW- I still think we won't go up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Out of interest, have we any players at a higher level who would still be eligible to play in this comp ? Wright, Basey etc

Wright is still eligible to play in this. He played in the 3rd round win at Wolves.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Has he made his reserve debut yet?

jonjo made his reserve debut in the 5-1 victory at millwall where he played centre midfield and hit the post

He came on as a sub the week before at Bromley against Palace reserves. He gave Fletcher the runaround.
  • Options
    Is Arter not eligible or is he injured?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]nice chip thanks mr mcmoist.

You're welcome.
  • Options
    More from CAFC, Varney says that VG Holders are the true supporters of the club:

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=32008&newstype=y
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Is Arter not eligible or is he injured?

slight injury at the moment. would play instead of Stavrinou, which is not bad considering how good he is, and not neccessarily first choice.

I didn't think Swindon looked that bad when they went on the attack, they played a great passing game, and were definatly shocked by the early 2 goals. our lads tired towards the end and sat back and let swindon have a bit more of a go, I think our number 6 was slightly weak, and was at fault for the goal and the near miss, but hardly worth worrying about!

its so nice to watch a team (although both teams were good) who love playing, who want to go on and win 10-0 if they can and all celebrate together. i wonder where they lose that 'fun' ethic they have...?
  • Options
    the number 6 reminded me of Jon Fortune
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]the number 6 reminded me of Jon Fortune

What Slow & Ponderous ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    5th rnd

Charlton Athletic FC 5 - 1 Swindon Town FC
    Sunderland AFC 5 - 3 AET Liverpool FC
    Port Vale FC 1 - 0 Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Bristol City FC 2 - 4 Manchester City FC
    Chelsea FC 3 - 1 Leicester City FC
    Aston Villa FC 5 - 0 Ipswich Town FC
    Carlisle United FC 2 - 0 Southend United FC
    Plymouth Argyle FC 3 - 2 Birmingham City FC

6th rnd

Carlisle United FC 0 - 2 Aston Villa FC

26 Feb 2008 19:00 Port Vale v Chelsea
    26 Feb 2008 19:00 Plymouth Argyle v Manchester City
    27 Feb 2008 19:00 Charlton Athletic v Sunderland AFC
  • Options
    Surprised that there's no Man Utd or Arsenal in the quarters seeing as every good young player around Europe seems to sign for either one or the other.
    Sunderland should be a decent side if they just knocked Liverpool out.
  • Options
    So there is a fair chance that our lads could be the only non-prem academy in the semis.

Of course, a lot of it is irrelevent. They may well have a good little side as a unit, but its the end product that counts and who makes the real step up. ie. You would rather one Scot Parker break through from that lot than 9 Kevin Lisbie's.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]So there is a fair chance that our lads could be the only non-prem academy in the semis.

Of course, a lot of it is irrelevent. They may well have a good little side as a unit, but its the end product that counts and who makes the real step up. ie. You would rather one Scot Parker break through from that lot than 9 Kevin Lisbie's.

Agree that the ultimate measure of success is players getting into the first team but success in the Youth Cup creates a good reputation and makes it a little easier to recruit new players.

Plus it gives, most of, us a good feeling about the future.

What I thought was pleasing about the win was how we played somegood football with pace, passing and movement so they are developing good habits and playing the right way now. Got to give credit to Damian Mathews who I'd never heard of.

Also Yussef, who I thought was the pick of the bunch v Sheff Utd, didn't have the best game.
  • Options
    From Robson's semi final team of a few years back two have come through who are Sam and Sankofa.