Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fridays Satans choice (bumped from Feb...cheers AFKA...)

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
Thursday evening you get home and Satan is on your settee. I have a choice for you he says. I can grant that you beat Palace tomorrow or I can guarantee you promotion, if you choose to beat Palace, you will win 3-0 but finish in the league 7th, if you choose promotion, Palace will win 2-0 but you will finish the league 2 nd. What do you choose?

Comments

• Options
    lose and 2nd
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Lose and 2nd with the proviso that Satan agrees that Golfies posts on here will be automatically blocked for the next three months.....:-)
  • Options
    Lose and come 2nd.
  • Options
    Lose and second.... just to mix it what about lose and second and Palace come first???

actually that might even be better cause we get to play them in the top tier...
  • Options
    lose and second ... even though Friday would be crap
  • Options
    sod that, win and 7th! (just to throw the kitty into the pidgeons)

if we lose to them friday, i will be sick, ruin my whole year, like last time when the knocked us out the cup!
  • Options
    i'd settle for lose and 2nd, but i'd haggle with old lucifer and make him throw in millwall going down aswell.
    i'd also not go to the game on friday.
  • Options
    Lose and 2nd
  • Options
    Lose and 2nd but it would be better if they came 1st or up through the play offs so we could play them in the prem. Plus I would get a free season ticket :-).
  • Options
    Lose and 2nd, sparking off a chain of events which sees them go out of business.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Win 3-0 then shoot satan!!
  • Options
    if it was millwall i would take the win
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Lose and 2nd with the proviso that Satan agrees that Golfies posts on here will be automatically blocked for the next three months.....:-)

Golfie is Satan .........and he will say that we will lose to Palace AND not be promoted.

Only kidding Golfie ;o)
  • Options
    I don't let it bother me - water off a ducks back.

I do feel that if we dont get 3 points on Friday then we wont get promoted - s**t or bust, a must win game.

After Friday we will have 15 games left & 45 points to fight for- if we don't win we will have 47 points and need another 35 or so for automatic promotion. Need 10-12 wins and a few draws, doesn't leave much room for mistakes and need to go on a run that hardly looks likely. Top 6 looks the best we can do but even then we will need to lose no more than 3 0r 4 more games.

anyone disagree ??
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I agree, apart from i don't think it is an absoloute must win, if we don't win we will still have a chance of going up and if we do it would be amazing. I agree we need a good run.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]I don't let it bother me - water off a ducks back.

anyone disagree ??

Well Golfie, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's probably a duck. Although I'm sure you could find an alternative (pessimistic) slant on that statement!
    ;o)
  • Options
    Lose and come second...with Palace to miss out on the play-offs...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]I don't let it bother me - water off a ducks back.

I do feel that if we dont get 3 points on Friday then we wont get promoted - s**t or bust, a must win game.

After Friday we will have 15 games left & 45 points to fight for- if we don't win we will have 47 points and need another 35 or so for automatic promotion. Need 10-12 wins and a few draws, doesn't leave much room for mistakes and need to go on a run that hardly looks likely. Top 6 looks the best we can do but even then we will need to lose no more than 3 0r 4 more games.

anyone disagree ??

Our home form has been weak this year and if we are to go up we need to consistently win the remaining home games to allow for cock-ups on the road. Two recent home wins marks the start of the trend but in a six pointer it's even more vital.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So i've been told, apparently is nice to occasionally come second :-)

Win and 7th.

Part of my says from the financial side we need to get promoted, the footballing side for me says that we do not have a strong enough unit built yet as a side, even with the promotion money we wouldn't have enough to build a new side from scratch, that players like Moo2, Samedo, Varney, Racon, Bougherra, Sam, Basey, Youga, need another year outside the top division to really settle and gel as a side, with a few canny additions along the way.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]So i've been told, apparently is nice to occasionally come second :-)

Win and 7th.

Part of my says from the financial side we need to get promoted, the footballing side for me says that we do not have a strong enough unit built yet as a side, even with the promotion money we wouldn't have enough to build a new side from scratch, that players like Moo2, Samedo, Varney, Racon, Bougherra, Sam, Basey, Youga, need another year outside the top division to really settle and gel as a side, with a few canny additions along the way.
    Agree absolutely AFKA. Win & 7th. Winning promotion this year will leave us in a terrible position next year. Pards needs another year to develop our younger players & build a strong enough team to have even a chance of Premiership survival.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2008
    I'd agree, but... I suspect our financial position could be too weak next year. And we could struggle upon promotion, whether it's this season or next season. I just fear the financial consequences of being out for more than a season (which is mad, really, but that's English football for you). Of course, circumstances could change, and all that.

I suppose West Brom might be able to answer that question a bit better, though.
  • Options
    what bollocks,promotion is the aim.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]what bollocks,promotion is the aim.

gotta agree nolly i cant believe what i've just read
  • Options
    verbal crap steve.
  • Options
    Steve, let me ask a question mate.

How many of our current squad do you think in 6 months time would be good enough or ready to avoid relegation if we were in the premiership next season ?

I can't see very many, 3-4 tops. We would need a whole new team, and the development of those with potential, like Basey, Racon, Wright etc would be completely stifled. We would have to gamble massively financially to even consider competing, and from the last mistakes that would be unlikely to happen again so soon.

Derby currently have 7 points this season, yet match up and i can't see too many of ours better than what they have at the moment. I'd rather stay down and continuing the rebuilding like West Brom have this season, than go through that.
  • Options
    I can see the point about needing to continue rebuilding the squad, but Derby plus two others will be joining the Championship battle next season with their own enhanced parachute money and we could still struggle to make the top places.

The other possibility is that some of the current crop do start to shine, and then get picked off in the transfer window next January anyway.

If we have a chance of promotion this year, we've got to take it and hope for 17th place next season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    I can't see very many, 3-4 tops.

Not sure about 3-4, maybe and its a big maybe ZZ
  • Options
    Amazing views can anybody tell me where we are going to get the money from next year to strengthen the side we have now if we don't go up?

The relegated clubs will recieve even more parachute money than ever next time around, the easiest way back is the 1st season I think, WBA generated money last season by being in contention all year then generating money from the play off final and have dominated this year as a result.

I cannot say that we are good enough to do the same.

Alot of people have lost site of the fact that the free season ticket offer was not just about being a nice gesture to the fans it was clearly done because the board needd a quick fix financially, they cannot offer the same next year the fans won't bite so personally I just cannot see how Pardew will be given the money that it will take to assemble a promotion winning squad.

If we are in this league next season gates will also drop so what is left ?..... selling more players to balance the books I would imagine and that means that improving current players will not be for the eventual benefit of this football club, they will be sold to even out ongoing losses.
  • Options
    sometimes you should admit your talking poppycock.
  • Options
    All Left Foot,you have answered the question barts was asking me.Smudge I would normally agree with what you have said,however with the perverse parachute payments this year I don't think we would be able to compete with the 3 relegated clubs.You gotta remember West Brom never really had to sell big time when they got relegated as they yo-yo'd like we did initially in the premiership.Last summer despite still havin 1 seasons parachute money left they sold Kamara 6 million and curtis davies guaranteed 8 million.That enabled them to build a squad of experienced players.I dont think we have the luxury of players of that worth.So for me I would take the probable and inevitable 1st season relegation as I feel the financial rewards of that 1 season would help build for the future.The players may well take a big hit but hopefully would come out the other end better for it.But hey that's just my view.