Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Little Charlton, selling club, no ambition!

2»

Comments

• Options
    15k then?

:D
  • Options
    I can't understand all the fuss over this, Sunderland are a massive club and £4m is a lot of money for someone who will only give you half a season and he wasn't having the same influence on games just before his injury anyway.
  • Options
    i still reckon a lot lower razil
  • Options
    We will be lucky to get 10k next year.
  • Options
    hmm Spurs pay buckets, so am surprised he would move and take a drop, also suprised if he had a drop clause a la Thomas, sure he is youger than say MBent so perhaps thats it.
  • Options
    you will be suprised then :-)
  • Options
    so what happens if Sunderland go down and we go up, Halford goes back and Reid returns, gutted to have lost a class act, will be missed badly, and i am sure Halford is good in his own right and will back the player, but this once again smacks of Parker and Murphy, not good at all
  • Options
    WSS,
    If you thought that dive was bad you should have seen the one last year!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]why no official news on Dickson I wanna know. He's seen on crutches at a game and that is reported on messageboards. Do the Club think no-one spotted him hobbling around.

Because the board don't want you to know about this like the Roswell cover up. It's all part of the conspiracy to control the world organised by Freemasons and little green men.

Or in the real world

We don't know for sure how long until the swelling has gone down and other checks are made and, and you all may have missed this so I will tell you, we are in the transfer window. Yes a shock I know but we are. And do you want to tell another club who you may be trying to sell/buy/loan a player that your squad has just been depleted

Or maybe everyone has been busy with AGM, board meetings, selling players, buying players etc that they just havenlt go round to it yet.

[cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]15k then?

:D

"And here comes Thomas, he shoots......"
  • Options
    If you see someone with a surprised look on his face on Friday night in the East stand....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This stuff is mild compared to some of the vein throbbing rubbish being posted on other Charlton message boards, some of the stuff on the Babes site is truely mad
  • Options
    Is that Busty Blonde Babes Rotthers?
  • Options
    More airheads and angry little men, Mart
  • Options
    how can you read that site Rothko - it's pure drivel - I had to give up after 2 or so visits, especially as there was a weird palace fan lurking on there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]how can you read that site Rothko - it's pure drivel - I had to give up after 2 or so visits, especially as there was a weird palace fan lurking on there.

I know, I know, it's a strange little site, dominated by a v strange Palace fan, and about 10 people, who seem to just slag the club off all the time. It's amusing to read sometimes, cause you realise how silly some people are.
  • Options
    As for Reid - Everyone has their price and the club is so much bigger than one player and to my mind Reid was very talented but it would not surprise me if what he does in the rest of his career is rather limited - I could be wrong though.
  • Options
    I wonder how many of the people complaining about the probable departure of Reid wanted us relegated and Curbs out so we could have more entertaining football?

The fact is income (even with parachute payments) plummets when you get relegated from the premiership and, sods law, we chose the year to go down when the differential is even greater than normal!

I'm an old git so I remember from the early sixties when Gliksten cashed in on any decent players we produced: Hinton, Bailey, Bonds, Glover to name a few. In the 70s he sold Killer (who was far more crucial to the team then than Reid is now - he played regularly for a start!) when we were challenging for promotion.

That was how the Club was run back then when the economic pressures and financial competition was far less than today.

Murray is running a business, like it or not, and apart from the Dowie fiasco which even Doris Stokes would have struggled to predict, he has done an amazing job.

You only have to read this board to see the diversity of opinion and when I last looked AFKA's poll was 66:34 in favour of selling Reid for £4 million. Is it any wonder then that Murray, probably after consulting Pardew, decided £4 million in the hand for a sicknote was good business?

If Thomas goes too in this window I might start to think Richard Murray is Michael Gliksten reincarnated in lacking ambition to get us back to the Prem but as things stand I'm prepared to trust his judgement.

Reid hasn't played a game in 6 weeks and we don't know whether or not he is still carrying the injury even if he is in training.

If he stayed would he be fit enough to play?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]More airheads and angry little men, Mart

You should fit right in then mate! ;0p
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I actually agree with two out of three of Bibble's statements.

Little Charlton - well compared to Sunderland and any other prem club right now we are but it's not a term I would ever use about my club.

Selling club - damn right just like just about every club in the country. Even Arsenal sold my namesake to Barca and Liverpool sold someone to Juventus this week. Maybe only Man Utd and Chelsea are not selling clubs.

No Ambition - Just so far from the truth I don't know where to start.
    [/quote]

I empathise with Bibble's frustration.
    I don’t see how selling our best assets at every given opportunity is the act of a club that has real ambition.

Not a fair analogy about selling clubs...Arsenal had Adebayour & Eduardo up their sleeve to replace and cash in big time for the ageing Henry.
    Sissoko was not by any stretch Liverpool’s best asset.

Man U & Chelsea are not selling clubs and that's one of the reasons that they're two of the most successful clubs in the land.

Like yourself "Little Charlton" is not a term I like to associate with my club either but isn’t it understandable that in the last four years many fans can’t connect the boards policies & actions with raising our profile & “Targeting 40,000“.

I would be very interested to know why the perception that the club has no ambition is so far from the truth?
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Man U & Chelsea are not selling clubs and that's one of the reasons that they're two of the most successful clubs in the land.

Shouldn't that be Man U and Chelsea have loads of money and that's the main reason that they're two of the most successful clubs in the land.

Unfortunately to get anywhere in football these days you need money, hence the reason we're selling Reid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2008
    Joe,

Fair points that Arsenal have replacements but that is in hindsight. Many Arsenal fans stated that it was all over now that Henry had been sold but it has been shown that they are a better TEAM without Henry who was an outstanding individual player but one who required the team to play in a certain why to suit him. There is a good parallel with CAFC and Reid IMHO

On CHelsea and Man U it is Chicken and Egg They can afford to not sell as they are successful and rich. The point I was making was that even Liverpool sell players and so does nearly every other club so "selling club" is hardly an insult if you can throw it at about 90 of the 92 clubs.

You ask me to say "Why the perception that the club has no ambition is so far from the truth?" yet don't say where you get that perception from? From selling players? but everyone does that as I've just said. Watford have sold King, Burnley have sold Gray, Bolton sold Anelka, Spurs are selling Defoe. Lack of ambition or just taking the value when they can or are forced to.

I get the perception that the board have ambition cos I know how much they have, personally, invested, because I see the planning applications to further extend the stadium when it has already tripled in size since '92, because I see the effort to bring in more income and to give Pardew a transfer budget when we have taken a massive financial hit, because I see the attempts to build long term relationships with clubs all over the world to bring in young players, because I see the plans to re-vamp the training facilities, because I see the club offering free season tickets if we are promoted to keep the ST level and income high and a few other things that I can't recall off the top off my head.
  • Options
    you see a lot old wise one ;-) (pats the shaven headed buddhist monk on the head)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

I get the perception that the board have ambition cos I know how much they have, personally, invested, because I see the planning applications to further extend the stadium when it has already tripled in size since '92, because I see the effort to bring in more income and to give Pardew a transfer budget when we have taken a massive financial hit, because I see the attempts to build long term relationships with clubs all over the world to bring in young players, because I see the plans to re-vamp the training facilities, because I see the club offering free season tickets if we are promoted to keep the ST level and income high and a few other things that I can't recall off the top off my head.

Brilliant post Henry from one who actually does know much about what happens behind the scenes. Our club is known throughout the football world as a model of how to run a football club. The guys running our club are at heart fans who just happen to be successful businessmen in their own right. Nothing is guaranteed in football and mistakes, (openly admitted which is pretty refreshing) were made last season. These guys not only had to cope with the relegation as fans, they had to cope with it in the knowledge that as fans , they had "f*cked up - how bad would you feel, they also had to cope with the financial impact of relegation, of having to sack valued long-standing friends and colleagues; yet they have done the things that Henry talks about. They have managed to steer the good ship CAFC away from most of the rocks and the sharks circling around. Cut them some bloody slack.

As for Bibble who praised the Tangoman, well hands up who'd rather have him running our club?
  • Options
    Henry,

Yes I see all those things as well. Giving Pardew a transfer budget for players and building relationships with clubs for young players is great but not always so great if the main objective is to get them just to sell them off.
    The "value" sometimes is to hold onto them because some players are incredibly difficult to replace and some as we know to our cost nigh on impossible.

Having said that I don’t think this sale will send us sliding down the table as we have before after January transfer windows.

I agree the team required to play in a certain way to suit Reid and considering his injury history I’m not that upset by this particular sale but having witnessed this since the early ‘70’s I really do understand some of the fans frustrations.
    We do need to find a replacement though and a loan signing has been mentioned by Pardew….Does Venger really need all those wonderful players in reserve?…Let’s hope he sends one our way.
  • Options
    Joe, the question was about ambition. Not arguing that fans should not be frustrated when we sell good players but the statement was that the club have no ambition. I said that was so far from the truth. What's your view?

What makes me laugh is that some people have said "why haven't we sold the club to the first carpet bagger that knocks on the door?" but if the board did ever sell up then some would acuse them of being "quitters and cashing in cos they have no ambition."

Fact is some people will moan regardless of what happens. It is what they enjoy doing. I had an e-mail from a "long term fan" who said he was going to take his son to support Gillingham or West Ham next season if we didn't go up.

I avoided the temptation to give the obvious answer and made the point that if my dad had given up when we sold Billy Bonds I would never have had the pleasure of the play off final or the first game back at the Valley.

We sold a big player, it's not great but the club is still going, no one died, birds are singing and it might even snow today.

Live, love, laugh and be happy
  • Options
    When we unveil Ronaldinho on Monday then they wont question the clubs ambition :0)

You've only got to look at the Gills chairman to see how lucky we are.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]When we unveil Ronaldinho on Monday then they wont question the clubs ambition :0)

You've only got to look at the Gills chairman to see how lucky we are.

Can someone remind me how Millwall are doing this season.......?
    Charlton? .......we are doing okay.