Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

++++++++The Andy Reid Poll++++++++

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
Looks like barring a medical, Andy Reid will be announced as a Sunderland player on Thursday in a £4m deal.

Good debate is ongoing on the following thread, please keep the comments coming:

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=13816

I'm sure you'll all hear different whispers about how much was down to the club wanting the money, or how much was down to the individual wanted the move etc, but for now, a straight yes / no in the box below:

Are the club right in accepting a £4m bid for Andy Reid ?

Comments

• Options
    He's a crock and we need some cash.
  • Options
    My only concern is on the possible effect on team morale - otherwise, I say take the cash.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]He's a crock and we need some cash.

what he said...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]My only concern is on the possible effect on team morale - otherwise, I say take the cash.

Morale last night seemed best in years.
    If this is true then it hasn't just happened today. The other players know and maybe that's a reason why they seemed so together last night. A sort of we'll stick together spirit even if others want to leave. The old blitz spirit. Cor blimey guvnor, luvaduck, I should co-co etc
    We are cock-o-neys after all.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The way i see it

Reasons to agree the move

+ No white knight has emerged, the clubs' financial situation is still far from rosy, and again we have already spent money in the window we haven't really got.
    + The team is really starting to gel in Reid's absence, we look a more fluid outfit, and don't appear reliant on one individual
    + Despite being captain, the player's head has been turned, has been offered a much improved contract, and is very keen for the move to be concluded.
    + There appears to be a higher risk than average of Reid picking up injuries / failing to reach full fitness.
    + Ultimately, if Pardew said to the board there is no way he wants Reid sold, then he won't. Pardew obviously feels Reid is expendable, particularly at that price.

Reasons against the move

+ This late in the window leaves us very little time to bring in others
    + Selling the captain gives off the wrong signals. It was also made clear to supporters on more than one occasion Reid would be here till the Summer.
    + On song, Reid is a potential match winner and one of the few players in our squad able to unlock defences.

Conclusion

It is not an ideal situation by any means, and i think the decision was probably taken in light of the strong performance last night, which is a dangerous assumption. But the manager is there to make these calls, i believe it is him that has agreed it, then i believe it is a good deal at that price.

Reid is a big, influential character in this squad, and if he has been offered a much improved contract and wants the move to be concluded, just how much positive impact will he be if it is refused ?

As others have said, Reid is a very good player, but he is not a 'Scot Parker' to our starting eleven, and the team have proved of late it can equally play football and compete with oppositions physical attributes in his absence.

I personally believe it will be in everyone's best interests if the supporters back this one, but that's just my own opinion.
  • Options
    IF we are going to spend the £4m on a decent replacement/any other way to strengthen the team in this window, then fair enough.

However, I'm not convinced we will be able to, so I've said no.

IF Reid really wants to go to Sunderland, I'll be more disappointed than anything else, as its not way he came across in interviews etc.

Once again we MIGHT see that you can't stop a player from moving on once he's decided he wants to go.
  • Options
    The worst thing about it is that we yet again let our best midfielder go in the last few mins of a transfer window.

What does that say about us a club?

once is a pisstake twice and the board are taking liberties but three times in 4 seasons the best player at the club is allowed to leave with no time to reflect on a replacement and we do nedd to replace him our midfield has no depth,

Holland,ZZ,Sam,Thomas,Ambrose,Semedo.The tackles that Matt put in on Tuesday prove that injuries could be just araound the corner

We also (unconfirmed) have lost Dickson for the season and we all saw that Iwellumo and Gray dont really work as a pair so moving Varney on the wing is not an option for me.

Reid should stay there is no reason to sell we are 4 places off of top with a midfield that most on here agree Reid would enhance and fit in to as soon as fit.

If he does go then it should have been finalised in the weeks leading up to here and a replacement looked for,

bar crowds we are as big a team as sunderland if you base it on previous football achievements they are not in a position in the prem that gives me confidence that we may replace them.

IMO Reid is better than to go to a team that is no bigger than us

he is on his day too good for us in this division and the prem however unfortunatly for him he just never lasts a full season but his 7 goals have been invaluable,

Henry pull some favours and get through to Muzza and get him to tell Niall Quinn to Eff off. not for sale
  • Options
    As trickyricky says,no replacement,no sale
  • Options
    We'll get Greg Halford on loan probably, so that'll do
  • Options
    he is a defender though isnt he ??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Midfielder as well
  • Options
    Reid is our best player.

Will be fed up if we sell him.
  • Options
    £4 million is decent business for somebody who although talented is only ever likely to play half a season.

In the Premiership that type of player can be carried but for us £4million would enable us to find 2 more Zheng Zhis.

Look at it that way and it isn't such bad business selling him.
  • Options
    Absolutely bite their hand off. I never ever thought we would make a profit on Reid.

Wouldnt get in this side at the moment, I dont care what anyone says the bloke has been half a stone to a stone overweight for the last 5 years, if you dont look after yourself you get niggles, hamstring etc etc, we cant afford that.

As long as we dont sell Thomas as well, then we would be fooked on the left side.
  • Options
    wouldn't have been that bad if we sold at the begining of the transfer window, but it is way to late now
  • Options
    Thomas has loked over weight at times this year as well as disintrested and didnt help us at all last year with his up his own arse performaces. I would rather we lost him than Reid
  • Options
    If it happens, well, I trust Pards' judgement, and the money will come in handy.

But he's our best player - and I'd like to think we're strong enough to resist.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Thomas has loked over weight at times this year as well as disintrested and didnt help us at all last year with his up his own arse performaces. I would rather we lost him than Reid

Quite.
  • Options
    take the cash, £4m is decent business for someone who's generally injured more often than not.....would be nice to secure a loan replacement for him but I guess we'll just wait and see.
  • Options
    I'm fed up losing our best player in nearly every transfer window, Parker, Murphy now Reid - we are officially a selling club :-(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We always have been NSA.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    How is it good business?

We make £1m not £4m.. He is our best player with true premiership quality and our captain. Once again Mr Murray us over like last season.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: John Pearson[/cite]Once again Mr Murray is us over like last season.
    Get a grip.
  • Options
    I'd personally be gutted. End of.
  • Options
    Grip of what?
  • Options
    Seems to be divided on here opinion wise & I have gotta say when I got wind of it I was very annoyed, but talking to someone who has the opposite view about the whole thing & when they lay the bare facts in front of you, it cannot be ignored that this is a good deal for CAFC. Whilst he is a play for the shirt type of player & has a rapport with the fans, playing less than 1 in every 2 games is never gonna be good for the team. As for selling him late, fair comment but do you really think Pards would have sold him if he did not think the loss could be absorbed? Plus you cannot sell someone until someone ultimately Bids for them, we cannot dictate as & when clubs bid for our players.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: John Pearson[/cite]Grip of what?
    Reality mainly.

I just don't understand how anyone can slag off Richard Murray after everything he has done for the club. Yes Dowie may have been a bad appointment looking back but you have to remember that when he went we had started to play well, in the quarter finals of a cup. Dowie went, for as much as we know for non-footballing reasons that were out of RM's control.

Reed came in when there were no other options then got in Pardew which was an excellent choice in the majority, we made a good fist of staying up as well i think since christmas.

Oh and by the way, we are one of the best run clubs in the whole bloody world that a lot of fans would love to have (and have commented on) so get off his back, support his decisions as everything this man and the rest of the board does is in the interests of Charlton Athletic Football Club, not themselves.
  • Options
    I love the guy - I thnk he is the best player outside the Prem. He is an asset to the team.

HOWEVER

It's a profit...and we look settled at the moment.

We have some great players waiting in the wings that can play in the middle - admittedly they are untested but they need to learn some time! (Racon, Semedo, Basey, Josh Wright)

It really pains me to say he should go..and I wish him all the best. Thanks for the memories - I just wish there were a few more
  • Options
    well said Swisdom
  • Options
    Racon has been offered to several teams on loan,Semedo is a replacement for matty, Basey more defender than midfielder, wright out on loan for season.

Ambrose starting to play consistantly well which is all that can be asked of him. Thomas has done what in the last 2 years, we will be very light in midfield if he goes especially offensively. Bad mistake if it happens