Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So have you ever seen a true, bona fide, now dead music legend play live?!!

Comments

• Saw Nico at the 100Club in Oxford Street the night before She passed away.
    Lovely haunting Voice.
  • Saw Joy Division in 1980 with a mate & his older brother, and thought they were the worst band I'd ever seen! I was very young...
  • The great Otis Redding on the Stax-Volt tour, Finsbury Park Astoria in 1967. He died later the same year in an air crash.

Still have the programme and ticket.

• Gil Scott Heron - A truly legendary man, firstly as being one of the grandfathers of rap also as being an incredible advocate for Black Rights and also being a legendary energetic performer and musician.His shows oozed with his warmth commitment and anger. if you google his name and the word legendary I'm sure you will find links.

John Martyn - probably up there in the top 10 folk/rock singer songwriters of the 20 century.A real treat to see him when he was young and green, middle-aged and bitter, and old, very ill but loving his music again.

Bert Jansch again probably in the top ten of guitarists favourite guitarists, I would describe him as being legendary as would guitarists like Jimmy Page, Pat Methany, and Richard Thompson but obviously posters on here know better.

Kate Mcgarrigle had a whole week of shows dedicated to her at the Queen Elizabeth hall in the south bank in honour to her beautiful contribution to folk music after she died, again google her name and tribute.

when i saw the title of this thread, i enjoyed looking back of watching some incredible legendary musicians and what a privilege it was, i did not expect to be criticised for being boring or wanting to appear cool, I'm about the uncoolest person i know and am quite happy to stay that way.

• Well just look up the word legendary.
  • Marvin Gaye from me

not sure if Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury count as they are a bit too recent 
  • Rory Gallagher :Several times with taste and solo.
    Mitch Mitchell: ( Hendrix's drummer) 3 weeks before he died.
    Paul Kossoff: In rehersal at Fairfield Hall.
    Queen: Freddie at Hyde park, free concert.
    Bob 'the bear' Hite lead singer Canned Heat Hyde Park.
    The original who at Lewisham Odeon: So Entwistle and Moon.
    Ian Dury: played  a couple of songs in the art college that I attended , in the canteen.

• edited January 2012
    Phil Lynott, Keith Moon, John Entwistle and Freddie Mercury

Also saw Lynott in a pub at which I was drinking.
  • Lennon, Harrison, Hendrix, Moon, Entwhistle, Brian Jones, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bill Haley, Mike Pato (should be a legend) .. I'm sure I can think of a few more
  • I saw Ou Est Le Swimming Pool before the feller jumped off a phone mast at Pukkelpop.
    Pity the guy didn't look for a swimming pool himself before he jumped
  • Sponsored links:

• Michael Jackson! Saw Jarvis Cocker wind him up on stage at the Brit awards.

• Off the top of my head Joe Strummer (with the Mescaleros) and John Entwistle (with The Who, obviously). In fact Strummer was supporting The Who when I saw them. Oh, and Rick Danko of The Band.
  • edited January 2012
    Lennon, Harrison, Hendrix, Moon, Entwhistle, Brian Jones, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bill Haley, Mike Pato (should be a legend) .. I'm sure I can think of a few more
    ooohhh Miles Davis and Roland Kirk
  • Actually I find myself agreeing with Chirpy in this instance...........don't worry folks that wont last long. LOL.

Some of the names being mentioned are quite ridiculous, we are talking about true 'top drawer' Heavyweight Rock Legends here........some of the names mentioned I've never even (or barely) heard of!

Nobody has heard of Chirpy outside of the confines of Charlton Life, yet i would say he is a true, bona-fide legend on here for being a huge twit - the definition of legendary depends on which circles you move in. This applies to music, literature, sport and all other walks of life :)
  • Twit? Bit harsh!

• if something is legendary ,strictly speaking it may not have happened so infact all the above artistes as brilliant as they all are cant strictly be described as legendary as they all definitely existed

time for a bit of CL new year pedantry  
  • Twit? Bit harsh!

At least you're not dead!!
  • The gigs at Thames poly used to be good.

Edgar Broughton

Pink Fairies

Pretty Things?

Daryl Way (Curved Air)

• Olli Halsall ex of Patto and Kevin Ayers is as obscure as they come but among guitarists is a bonofide guitar legend.
    I'll wait for Chirpy to tick me off...
  • Olli Halsall ex of Patto and Kevin Ayers is as obscure as they come but among guitarists is a bonofide guitar legend.
    indeed. Patto played a blinding gig at Greenwich theatre.
  • Sponsored links:

Edgar Broughton

Pink Fairies

Pretty Things?

Daryl Way (Curved Air)

are they all dead ? .. I am still madly in love with Sonja Christina, Daryl's old gal

Edgar Broughton

Pink Fairies

Pretty Things?

Daryl Way (Curved Air)

are they all dead ? .. I am still madly in love with Sonja Christina, Daryl's old gal
    they were certainly trying hard enough.
  • out demons out !!
    Oh My.
  • Ari Up of The Slits.

Haven't seen Sid Vicious mentioned yet?
  • Ari Up of The Slits. Haven't seen Sid Vicious mentioned yet?
    to paraphrase the late great Sir Ken Wolstenholme .. we have now !!!!
  • Arthur Lee (Love) 
  • Hendrix and Jim Morrison at IOW 1970. Paul Kossoff also at Fairfield Halls (so smacked out he fell against the amp) the brilliant Rory Gallagher all over the place and a lot of the others too many to mention
  • Ok - so hands up those who saw...

Link Wray
    Sandy Denny
    Arthur Lee & Love (the first time round)
    the original UK Nirvana
    The Byrds
    CSNY
    Captain Beefheart

I realise this thread is aimed at the elder statesmen on this forum ;-)

CSNY?  Have I missed something?
  •  Haven't seen Sid Vicious mentioned yet?

Maybe because he was a talentless, junkie murderer.

Hardly the stuff of legends.